The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Haven't seen The Game in years... I do remember being quite fond of it though. But as Monty eluded to, it's got more of a 'classic film' pace to it compared to a lot of modern films more frenetic pace.

Time for suspense, character development etc. But you may not want to watch after a long day of classes.

The Game was great. The fact that Monty even watched a movie co-starring Sean Penn - let alone twice - means it must have been epic.

If you haven't seen The Prestige, with Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman, it's even better. One of my all-time favourites, and was overlooked by many when it was released.

The Game was great. The fact that Monty even watched a movie co-starring Sean Penn - let alone twice - means it must have been epic.

I know, right?

If you haven't seen The Prestige, with Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman, it's even better. One of my all-time favourites, and was overlooked by many when it was released.

'The Prestige' is such a good film. Much like 'The Game', may not be as good after watching more than once. That said, I've seen it probably 3 times.

Another good Nolan film that went unnoticed was 'Insomnia'. Absolutely underrated film. So good.

I know, right?

'The Prestige' is such a good film. Much like 'The Game', may not be as good after watching more than once. That said, I've seen it probably 3 times.

Another good Nolan film that went unnoticed was 'Insomnia'. Absolutely underrated film. So good.

I've seen Prestige about 5 times now, and it absolutely holds up. 2nd viewing was even better than the first, IMO.

Insomnia was very good. I especially appreciated the restrained performances he got out of two of the biggest over-actors of their generation.

That's a good point. Both 21 Grams and Babel were movies I remember thinking were well made but left almost zero impression on me. Like I only remember a few vague scenes from either. I only made it through 10 minutes of Amores Perros, it was too difficult to watch as a dog lover.

Haven't seen Biutiful.

you should watch Amores Perros and post what you think about it. I don't think any dogs were actually harmed, and most of the gnarly stuff is at the start

I'm curious as to what someone would think about this movie in 2014, not having seen it before. Now that we've all seen a bunch of movies that have that narrative gimmick (seemingly unrelated, but ultimately converging stories), I wonder if it would be less impactful--especially when the movie is loaded with late 90s kitsch.

I've seen Prestige about 5 times now, and it absolutely holds up. 2nd viewing was even better than the first, IMO.

Insomnia was very good. I especially appreciated the restrained performances he got out of two of the biggest over-actors of their generation.

That's probably the most amazing thing about 'Insomnia'. Neither Williams or Pacino acted like their stereotypes.

And I do agree that 'The Prestige' holds up. I'm just not sure other people would appreciate it as much with further viewings.

you should watch Amores Perros and post what you think about it. I don't think any dogs were actually harmed, and most of the gnarly stuff is at the start

I'm curious as to what someone would think about this movie in 2014, not having seen it before. Now that we've all seen a bunch of movies that have that narrative gimmick (seemingly unrelated, but ultimately converging stories), I wonder if it would be less impactful--especially when the movie is loaded with late 90s kitsch.

I'll give it another shot sometime. You reminded me that when it came out, a friend who was working at a vet clinic and the epitome of a dog person tried to convince me to watch it again, he said the same thing that the worst was the beginning.

I remember liking that movie when I saw it years ago.

But I was young, and didn't have the same distaste for using graphic violence and unrealistic connections as main plot devices.

Edited by D-Money

you may still like it, because it isn't particularly graphic (a dog is shot, i think) and that's it. the plot is just no different (stylistically) than all those other movies from 1999-2004 that were all loosely connected

i've never really enjoyed those movies, except I do like Traffic

you may still like it, because it isn't particularly graphic (a dog is shot, i think) and that's it. the plot is just no different (stylistically) than all those other movies from 1999-2004 that were all loosely connected

i've never really enjoyed those movies, except I do like Traffic

Traffic is awesome.

'The Game" is ok. I remember loving it when it first came out back in the 90s. I tried watching it with the wife a few months ago because she had never seen it, but we both fell asleep during it. It's still a good movie, I just don't know if I'd break a movie drought like you've been in with 'The Game'.

If you're in the mood for a decent drama, I would actually recommend 'The Rainmaker'. Even though it stars the intolerable Claire Danes, the rest of the cast is incredibly solid: Matt Damon, Danny DeVito, Mickey Rourke, and Jon Voight. Fairly long, but I found that it really flies by.

In the mood to laugh? Can't go wrong with 'The Wicker Man'. Nic Cage punching Leelee Sobieski, wearing a bear costume, punching women while wearing a bear costume, and a face full of bees. Best night out you can have.

Just okay? I know enough of the premise and funny that you mention falling asleep, I actually did download it and try watching it a few years ago. Same thing happened, I think I dozed off around when Penn gives Douglas the news of his the gift he has in store.

Speaking of other long movies, I actually haven't even seen The Green Mile yet. The Rainmaker will definitely be watched tomorrow though, thanks! I don't mind Claire Danes as much save for when she is like this:

I highly recommend season 1 of Homeland if you haven't seen it already

Haven't seen The Game in years... I do remember being quite fond of it though. But as Monty eluded to, it's got more of a 'classic film' pace to it compared to a lot of modern films more frenetic pace.

Time for suspense, character development etc. But you may not want to watch after a long day of classes.

I don't mind, I actually get off early tomorrow so I plan to watch it in bed with my cat and VI's cat. Maybe I'll watch both the Game and Rainmaker. First world problems

Have seen the Prestige, I really enjoyed it myself save for Scarlett Johansson's stock character. I am not sure, she just annoys me when all she does is pout at the screen. Nolan is terrible with female characters but I think Bale's wife may have been his best creation in that department.

Don't know if you have time for a miniseries, but I keep pushing people to watch Top of the Lake. it's 7 episodes.

I saw this on your recommendation in the True Detective thread months ago. Loved the way it started out and Elizabeth Moss is one of the finest actresses out there IMO.

The revelation partway through about her past and why she is so attached to Tui could have been handled melodramatically but I felt they did a wonderful job strengthening her character. Things fell apart with the twist about the main guy being her father and potential incest. It just felt like too much and by the end of it, I think the show fizzled out.

Traffic is awesome.

It's a masterpiece save for the drug czar storyline. If it was just Benicio Del Toro and Catherine Zeta-Jones' stories, it'd have been so much better.

I saw this on your recommendation in the True Detective thread months ago. Loved the way it started out and Elizabeth Moss is one of the finest actresses out there IMO.

oh good at least i got one person to watch it

yeah it wasn't the strongest ending but those are getting few and far between these days imo

one more drama/thriller rec - Blue Ruin (think I reviewed it in here a couple months back)

3 Days To Kill - 5/10

There were parts of this that I really liked. I might be one of the few people that still like Kevin Costner, and felt he played the "terminally ill agent" really well. He was great, and so was his relationship with Hailee Steinfeld.

However, the storyline was really all over the place, and actually focused too much on his relationship with his daughter, not focusing enough on being hired by Amber Heard's "whatever agency". A lot more should have been devoted to this.

However, it was written by Luc Besson, so can't expect much.

Edited by Monty

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford: 8.5-9/10.

finally got around to seeing this. no idea why I put this off for so long, since I love well done westerns (second only to organized crime movies). it's almost 3 hours long, so maybe that was the turn off. Definitely had some issues with this one, but they were almost entirely stylistic choices from Dominik.

good visuals (minus the style minor choices i mentioned). AMAZING writing, almost Deadwood-like, but without the profanity. it's very effective. very strong acting across the board. I love brad pitt, and i don't care who knows it. but more than pitt, the supporting cast is absolutely top-notch as well

great story, too, obviously.

scored by Nick Cave to boot.

very strong movie held back by a few small details, IMO.