The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

3 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Lion 8/10

emotionally gripping story based on true events, of two brothers in India who become separated at a train station.  The younger brother is lost.

20 years goes along after the younger brother is adopted by an Australian couple.

fairly intense movie but still suitable for kids.  Watched it with mine.

Said it before. After being in Kolkata almost two months ago, I’m shocked he survived landing there. More amazing that he had enough memories at the age of 5 to piece together how to track his mom down. Unreal.

Just now, Monty said:

Said it before. After being in Kolkata almost two months ago, I’m shocked he survived landing there. More amazing that he had enough memories at the age of 5 to piece together how to track his mom down. Unreal.

Agree.  It shows how while extremely difficult his early life was, the simplification of the existence made those memories so powerful.  If ever there was a discussion for a guiding hand or fate to be had this would be an example.

first time in ages I watched a movie where it caused me to want to meet the character.  A special person.

• Upvote 1

The Revenant 6/10
Not as good as I expected , and I didn't really like any of the action scenes, especially the opening one, but it got better as it went on.
Really surprised to see a movie like this with such a huge budget, and at how much it took at the box office.

On 4/26/2019 at 4:05 AM, luckyjack said:

The Revenant 6/10
Not as good as I expected , and I didn't really like any of the action scenes, especially the opening one, but it got better as it went on.
Really surprised to see a movie like this with such a huge budget, and at how much it took at the box office.

It was definitely slow at times. I could remember people in the theater like.. when is this going to pick up? I was satisfied with the movie

On 4/22/2019 at 12:48 PM, riffraff said:

Lion 8/10

emotionally gripping story based on true events, of two brothers in India who become separated at a train station.  The younger brother is lost.

20 years goes along after the younger brother is adopted by an Australian couple.

fairly intense movie but still suitable for kids.  Watched it with mine.

We had a good discussion about it just over a month ago starting here if you're interested :)

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2019 at 4:05 AM, luckyjack said:

The Revenant 6/10

I thought it was pretty good myself...probably 7-8/10. Had a bit of an 'old school' feel/pace to it but it certainly wasn't a 'pleasant' film (which I'm fine with but I understand not everyone enjoys). Definitely an 'angry' undertone throughout the film as well.

That bear scene sure had me puckered though :shock:

• Upvote 2

Boxtrolls - 8/10

I'm a huge fan of animation, & perhaps an even bigger fan of stop-motion. Laika is a studio that, IMHO, does an excellent job of incorporating darker themes within the genre, whilst pushing the envelope of traditional stop-motion techniques...all of the puppets faces & their many expressions are all 3D printed.

Great flick, tho I'm biased.

Serenity 2019

Drama /mystery/ sci-fi

6/10 a little slow paced but interesting enough to keep you going. Good poor weather afternoon waster lol. 

Good cast with Matthew McConaughey and Anna Hathaway etc

Rated it low because with the bigger named stars in it you would expect it to be more than a B rate movie 

Fighting with my Family 

2/10 

Not terrible but not as advertised. First the Rock is in the movie for all of two minutes. So don’t be fooled into thinking it’s one of his movies. Second the funny bits are all pretty much in the previews. That being said there are still a couple one liners not spoiled. Now I may be bias because going in I was expecting a gut busting comedy and what I got was a so so drama. 

Good Time - 8/10

Movies often present criminals as strategic masterminds, and/or hardened thugs with no compassion. But most are just poor, desperate people, with just enough delusions of grandeur to try to take matters into their own hands. Pattinson's character is Exhibit A of the latter group, and he flies through one night by the seat of his pants, making quick decisions which often backfire, but he continues to double down, because he simply has no other option in his mind. The plot is completely unpredictable, because the lead is just reacting and adapting to whatever comes up. Side characters appear and disappear as the protagonist goes in a new direction. The result is a movie that is fresh, exciting, and wholly original.

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, D-Money said:

Good Time - 8/10

Movies often present criminals as strategic masterminds, and/or hardened thugs with no compassion. But most are just poor, desperate people, with just enough delusions of grandeur to try to take matters into their own hands. Pattinson's character is Exhibit A of the latter group, and he flies through one night by the seat of his pants, making quick decisions which often backfire, but he continues to double down, because he simply has no other option in his mind. The plot is completely unpredictable, because the lead is just reacting and adapting to whatever comes up. Side characters appear and disappear as the protagonist goes in a new direction. The result is a movie that is fresh, exciting, and wholly original.

I’d bold specific areas of a post I agree with, but this is a perfect summation of the film. A guy that seemed to believe that he had no other options as the day and night unfolded, and the screenwriters/directors did a superb job in making it seem like he really didn’t have any other options.

More importantly, I felt both the writers and Pattinson made it easy to empathize with his situation. Certainly not agreeing with his choices, but just one bad decision after another, that the lead character seemed to believe were his only choices in the moment.

I’ve only watched it once, but I know I’ll come back to it in time. There are movies over the years that immediately vaulted into my top 10. This joins “Take Shelter” as films that category.

• Upvote 1

Bumblebee

7/10

Not that bad of a movie. Made me laugh a few times.  As a prequel it did a good job of explaining Bumblebee.  Worth the free rental, LOL!  Though I would pay the 6 bucks or whatever it was to rent on the Cineplex store.