The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

On 8/18/2019 at 9:23 PM, GLASSJAW said:

once upon a time in hollywood: 9.5/10

god I loved this movie - really difficult to find complaints. 

the writing was top notch and Tarantino-y without being too Tarantino-y, thought the build up towards the end was wonderful. even though I'm a well-documented Leo hater, I thought he was great in this. Pitt was juicy to the core. the feet shots made me laugh. 

will have to give it a second watch, but after one watch I think I'd slide it into my top 2 or 3 of his

I think it’s probably his most accessible film, for those that aren’t huge Tarantino lovers. My wife isn’t a huge fan, but loves Kill Bill, hasn’t seen Hollywood, yet. But those two are easily the easiest watches for those that don’t love his style.

20 minutes ago, Monty said:

I think it’s probably his most accessible film, for those that aren’t huge Tarantino lovers. My wife isn’t a huge fan, but loves Kill Bill, hasn’t seen Hollywood, yet. But those two are easily the easiest watches for those that don’t love his style.

I'd put Jackie brown up there

• Upvote 1

Crawl (2019) - 7/10

Predictable and clear in where it got its inspiration from, but enjoyably entertaining nonetheless. 
It has a few good moments which make you jump and a semi-realistic storm depiction which, although doesn’t quite add to the tension, like the alligators, it does keep up the impending threat. The story and acting are ok and the ending sort of fizzles out, but it achieves what it sets out to do in a good way.

On 8/20/2019 at 1:12 PM, aGENT said:

FINALLY watched Sicario the other night......damn that was good and good reminder that BDT id a freaking wicked actor! 9/10

right on.  i thought the film score was one of the most dreadful, stress inducing scores ive heard in a long time.

IT 2 

I cant believe it ran nearly 3 hours long

• Cheers 1

IT 2 - 6.5/10

There's definitely some good scare/thrill scenes, and Bill Skarsgard does a great job as Pennywise. I felt that certain scenes dragged on too long, and while some comedy is good and fitting to the story, there were too many laughs during scenes that were intended to be frightening. It's hard to be scared when you're laughing.

23 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Yesterday: 7/10

It was such a great idea, but almost too big of an idea that allowed for so many different directions to go in. Instead of picking one and flushing it out, there were likely 13 different flashes of ideas. Kind of disappointing but still worth the watch. 

Darn. Thought it looked like an interesting premise as well, shame it's got 'meh' execution. Probably still watch it though :lol:

Blinded By The Light - 6.5/10

Semi-true Story of a 16 year old British Muslim kid in 1987 who discovers the music of Bruce Springsteen.

The movie couldn't seem to figure out if it wanted to be a drama or a musical. It was decent though. If it makes it to Netflix and you like Springsteen it's worth a viewing.

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2019 at 2:01 PM, Down by the River said:

Yesterday: 7/10

It was such a great idea, but almost too big of an idea that allowed for so many different directions to go in. Instead of picking one and flushing it out, there were likely 13 different flashes of ideas. Kind of disappointing but still worth the watch. 

On 9/13/2019 at 4:02 PM, Down by the River said:

I definitely still recommend it.

*Monty last night*

”I’ll check it out.”

*Afterwards*

”Oof. That was not good.”

This movie could have gone many different ways. It chose the most bland way possible to go. Did not stick the landing.

• Haha 2

watched every Tarantino movie.

my ranking:

1. inglorious basterds: 10/10

2. pulp fiction: 10

3. kill bill vol 1 + 2: 9/10 

4. once upon a time in hollywood: 9/10

5. hateful eight: 8.5/10

6: reservoir dogs: 7.5/10

7: death proof: 7/10

8: jackie brown: 7/10

9: django unchained: 6/10

inglorious basterds is, easily, my fav of his and one of my all-time favs. it's hilarious, well-acted, visually great. strong dialogue without being too excessively tarantino-y 

pulp fiction is unbelievably good, but there are a few scenes that just seemed a bit cheesy in hindsight - dated, i guess. but goddamn is it eternally quotable and pleasant to watch if you're in the mood for it. i do concede that despite the dialogue being so razor sharp, it all reads as being excessively one dimensional and very clearly written from a single source (Basterds, on the other hand, has characters who seem to have their own identity, if that makes sense). 

the kill bills i'm not going to rate independently, as they are just two halves of one thing. this hasn't aged as well as i'd hoped. in fact, many parts of it seemed like 2002 in a frame, and goddamn that isn't a good look. i think i might be a tad generous with this rating. nostalgia is really feeding me here, but the good parts are just so good that i'm willing to overlook the bits i don't like.

hollywood: seen it twice now, and i really loved this. the music is on point, the acting is great, and it executes tarantino's beloved themes extremely well.

hateful eight i really love. i think the first 90 minutes are some of the best of his career. the movie REALLY comes undone towards the end, i think, but it's still enjoyable. god, the first 3/4 is just so good though. if only he ended it a bit sooner and could do away with some of the exposition i think this would be ranked higher.

reservoir dogs, i think, has aged very poorly. the dialogue is extremely try-hard, reads like someone trying to emulate tarantino. it's a textbook good indie movie, but doesn't hold up to some of his more developed work imo. still good, but you can tell this was executed quickly and cheaply

i had rock bottom expectations for death proof, so maybe that helped me enjoy it more. but the insufferable characters fed the bigger picture and by the end it all made sense and made it more enjoyable in the "grind house" context.. it's an anachronistic mess in some ways, like i couldn't stand watching them click away in their 2001 cell phones through a grainy camera. maybe that was the point? doesn't make it enjoyable. but again, by the end, i felt like i enjoyed it way more than i thought i would

jackie brown has one of my fav QT characters. Samuel L Jackson is super good in this movie, and it all works so well together. but with that said, i just don't care for these types of movies. it's easily the least QT of the lot, and hello Pam Grier

finally, Django Unchained I totally don't like. i'm giving it points for creating a really vile antebellum atmosphere, but that's mostly it. didn't think the dialogue was particularly special, didn't enjoy the performances, didn't enjoy the music, think it's way too long, didn't enjoy how the climax unfolded, nothing. 

fav qt actor: qt works with the same people over and over again. and for my money, Samuel L Jackson takes the cake for his best muse. he straight up steals almost every scene he's in

least fav qt actor: zoe bell. great, she's a good stunt woman. that doesn't mean she can act. i cannot stand her scrunchy face, i can't stand her cutesy delivery.

best feet shots: tie: death proof/hollywood

p.s. someone needs to tell qt that slow motion isn't very effective at conveying anything

Edited by GLASSJAW
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

ad astra - 7.5/10

this is baby's first "poetic" movie -- it's indebted equally to 2001 and The Tree of Life. basically views like a stepping stone to Terrence Malick, with on-the-nose Christian references and visual metaphors that are tailor made for pretty gentle analysis.  (The wife's name is literally Eve!!!)

definitely not for everyone. lacked in the emotional department for me, but visuals are amazing, excellent music, strong acting. a nice bit of eye candy. i liked it, but didn't love it

i feel deeply uncomfortable knowing part of this movie's trailer campaign includes guns being fired and a moon car chase, because the 'action' sequences in this movie add up to about 30 second of the movie's total 2 hours. and the rest is Brad Pitt whispering about his father, while furrowing his beautiful brow. it's going to attract some very misguided audiences.

at my showing, one normie literally groaned as the movie ended, another said "that was too long" RIGHT when the first credit appeared. lmfao

where's muh moon race???

Edited by GLASSJAW