The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

4 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Joker

solidly in the just ok category

Previews gave too much away. It was all about tone of character/actor, little in story. I got that much from previews.

It's hard for me to avoid spoilers in some movies. Doesn't ruin films for me, though, as it actually has me viewing it in a differently. In this case, it didn't matter that I was "spoiled' in certain areas, as I knew from reading certain comics of the Joker, or certain of the animated features, of what was going to happen.

Haven't seen Joker yet, but the Robert De Niro character I could tell, by the previews alone, where the movie was going there. As for "The Twist"

Relationship with the girl was all in his head

This is also not surprising when I heard about it. Would have seen it coming to begin with. The character of Joker is unhinged and mentally unstable. Still interested in seeing it, though.

Crawl

All in all, a fun “thriller/scare” movie. Would not call it a horror, at all. But it was fun. 

The only knock is there wasn’t one more scene at the end, which I completely expected that would have shown:

The woman with two lost limbs, competing in and winning Paralympic completions.

On 10/8/2019 at 11:49 AM, Shift-4 said:

Joker

solidly in the just ok category

Previews gave too much away. It was all about tone of character/actor, little in story. I got that much from previews.

On 10/8/2019 at 11:58 AM, Monty said:

It's hard for me to avoid spoilers in some movies. Doesn't ruin films for me, though, as it actually has me viewing it in a differently. In this case, it didn't matter that I was "spoiled' in certain areas, as I knew from reading certain comics of the Joker, or certain of the animated features, of what was going to happen.

Haven't seen Joker yet, but the Robert De Niro character I could tell, by the previews alone, where the movie was going there. As for "The Twist"

Reveal hidden contents

Relationship with the girl was all in his head

This is also not surprising when I heard about it. Would have seen it coming to begin with. The character of Joker is unhinged and mentally unstable. Still interested in seeing it, though.

The things I did like about "Joker" is that it delivered just what it was projected to give. You already know that the character is broken, you just to get to see how.

Things which I found interesting is how it touched upon various other films. There is a bit of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", "Network" and"Psycho 2", but most interesting is how it has so many similarities to "The King of Comedy", which starred Robert DeNiro (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085794/?ref_=nv_sr_2?ref_=nv_sr_2). 

If I have a major criticism of "Joker" then it has to do with Phoenix. The performance (to my eye) is quite brilliant, but he is perhaps too old for the character in the time-line. Phoenix is 45(ish) yrs old, and assuming the character is a similar age, then when young Bruce Wayne becomes Batman in 15 to 20 yrs Joker would be at retirement age.

I could have done with this film being longer but I think it was probably the right length for most of the audience.

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus
  • Upvote 1

I also saw "Ad Astra" a while back. It was okay. There was a bit too much dystopian future in it, similar to films like "THX-1138", and I also did not require seeing the multiple instances that Pitt's character was able to handle himself under pressure.

This movie wasn't long, it just felt like it was...

regards,  D.

El Camino - A Breaking Bad Movie

If you take this as it should be, which is a 2 hour long double episode and less of a movie, then it’s a good finale to Jesse’s character. But definitely don’t view this as a traditional “movie”. Because it feels far more like an extended episode of Breaking Bad.

If, like everyone else in the world, you’ve watched Breaking Bad, then you have to watch it.

17 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

If I have a major criticism of "Joker" then it has to do with Phoenix. The performance (to my eye) is quite brilliant, but he is perhaps too old for the character in the time-line. Phoenix is 45(ish) yrs old

I always thought Caleb Landry Jones would be the perfect person to portray The Joker in any future films. So good in Heaven Knows What, Get Out, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, The Florida Project, Twin Peaks reboot, etc. 

3BFCCAC4-8E12-4517-BF98-600D23F805E1.jpeg

1 hour ago, Shift-4 said:

If I want to watch Glass should I watch Split first?

Yes.

But fair warning, Glass is absolutely f*cking terrible. Go in knowing it’s the worst, and you might come out of it only despising yourself afterwards, instead of wanting to kill yourself.

7 minutes ago, Monty said:

Yes.

But fair warning, Glass is absolutely f*cking terrible. Go in knowing it’s the worst, and you might come out of it only despising yourself afterwards, instead of wanting to kill yourself.

OH

Maybe you just saved me 4 hours

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

El Camino

Todd is a god damn psychopath. Reminded me of Reek/Ramsay Bolton. I thought that the "movie" was almost moreso a collection of scenes... most of them were awesome but some seemed to drag/didn't feel necessary. Others seemed pivotal but then there was no follow-up. Definitely worth the watch despite what it is. 

The only thing that “bothered” me, is that it seemed completely unnecessary to tell what happened to Jessie, as the entire Breaking Bad tale was focused on Walt. So telling more to the story feels weird. Those of us who watched the show had hopes of what would happen to Jessie, so to have this “movie” spell it out was unnecessary.

But it was done well and felt like a proper Breaking Bad episode. Acting and writing were top notch, as usual. I’m also incredibly happy that, despite the countless cameos from BB characters in the past, they avoided throwing in Skyler, Flynn, and Marie, as they had nothing to do with Jessie’s journey. Those stories were already closed.

saw Joker for the second time, liked it a bit more than the first viewing

won't you be my neighbour: cute/10

after watching every tarantino movie and seeing a couple interviews about his influences, i saw jean-pierre melville's name mentioned consistently, and Criterion Channel just released his entire filmography so I figured I'd give a couple of them a go.

24 hours in the life of a clown: 5/10. just a short, but pretty uninteresting. has stuck with me for some reason, though. 

silence of the sea: 7/10. jpm's first full-length. it's about a semi-charming nazi who visits occupied france and is an uninvited "guest" to a french family's home. sound familiar? the main dude is a clear inspiration for hanz landa of inglorious basterds. but instead of being a vicious jew killer, this guy is more interested in talking about german and french literature?

anyway, the movie was pretty good

now onto the october spookfest. nothing but cheap thrills, weird stuff, and ''''scary'''' trash for the next couple of weeks.

Cropsey: 5/10. documentary about a staten island killer/urban legend. not good.

Scary Movie: 2/10. horrendous. writers of this would be executed in today's social climate, gave me a couple of laughs though, won't lie

On 10/15/2019 at 1:10 PM, GLASSJAW said:

now onto the october spookfest. nothing but cheap thrills, weird stuff, and ''''scary'''' trash for the next couple of weeks.

Cropsey: 5/10. documentary about a staten island killer/urban legend. not good.

Scary Movie: 2/10. horrendous. writers of this would be executed in today's social climate, gave me a couple of laughs though, won't lie

For my like 10th birthday or something my Mom took me and a friend to this movie. She was so horrified that she basically ran us back to the car so that nobody she knew would see us leaving the movie. This is even though we were in a town like 800km from where we lived. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2