The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

26 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

For my like 10th birthday or something my Mom took me and a friend to this movie. She was so horrified that she basically ran us back to the car so that nobody she knew would see us leaving the movie. This is even though we were in a town like 800km from where we lived. 

i feel like i would have to go into therapy if i watched that geyser ejaculation scene next to my mom

i'm currently trying to figure out how to scrub it from my netflix algorithm, as it keeps recommending i watch A Haunted House now.

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Parasite - Great movie a nice piece of commentary on social classes done in a thriller / comedic setting 

This and The Lighthouse are the only films I need to see for the rest of the year.

The Favourite 

Watched it early this morning on my flight from Winnipeg to Toronto.

Not sure how I feel about it. It was “somewhat” enjoyable, but I actually don’t quite understand why Olivia Coleman won an award for her performance. I think she’s a terrific actress, but this particular performance didn’t appear to be too challenging or deep.

If I’m being honest, Emma Stone, who I usually hate, did a terrific job in her role. Something I didn’t think she was even capable of doing. Same with Rachel Weisz. Haven’t seen her do anything remotely entertaining in a long time, and she was really good in her role, as well. Thought Coleman was actually the weakest of the three.

Worth watching? That I’m not so sure of. I wouldn’t see it again. It’s definitely not as good as people made it out to be. Although, most movies aren’t.

F8008E57-6ED1-4ED5-A581-25768DD39CAE.jpeg

2 hours ago, Monty said:

The Favourite 

Watched it early this morning on my flight from Winnipeg to Toronto.

Not sure how I feel about it. It was “somewhat” enjoyable, but I actually don’t quite understand why Olivia Coleman won an award for her performance. I think she’s a terrific actress, but this particular performance didn’t appear to be too challenging or deep.

If I’m being honest, Emma Stone, who I usually hate, did a terrific job in her role. Something I didn’t think she was even capable of doing. Same with Rachel Weisz. Haven’t seen her do anything remotely entertaining in a long time, and she was really good in her role, as well. Thought Coleman was actually the weakest of the three.

Worth watching? That I’m not so sure of. I wouldn’t see it again. It’s definitely not as good as people made it out to be. Although, most movies aren’t.

That scene with her talking about her Rabbits was really heart breaking. Also it's one of those role that there really isn't a reference to look back on since Queens in movie and television are often portrayed with dignity and strength something Queen Anne had none of.

3 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

That scene with her talking about her Rabbits was really heart breaking. Also it's one of those role that there really isn't a reference to look back on since Queens in movie and television are often portrayed with dignity and strength something Queen Anne had none of.

Very true. I did like her, same with all the acting in the film. But I’m not sure exactly what made her performance so “amazing”. Truth be told, Coleman has had many other roles, and recently, where she was far better than what she did here (ie: Broadchurch, Fleabag). That one specific scene you referenced was good, though.

The one scene I had a good chuckle at, was when Emma Stone first arrived and was recounting her carriage ride. Really set the tone for exactly what type of “period piece” movie it was going to be.

Joker

The first half/two thirds is subpar. Though, this is expected from what was looking like a standard origin story. 

However, the movie did a good job at showing mental illness, as well as how mental and physical abuse to children can (in this scenario) go horribly wrong. While extreme, it does show how important it is to nurture children and make them feel loved.

That said, it’s no “Taxi Driver.”

16 hours ago, Monty said:

Joker

The first half/two thirds is subpar. Though, this is expected from what was looking like a standard origin story. 

However, the movie did a good job at showing mental illness, as well as how mental and physical abuse to children can (in this scenario) go horribly wrong. While extreme, it does show how important it is to nurture children and make them feel loved.

That said, it’s no “Taxi Driver.”

really wish the Taxi Driver parallels didn't exist

whether it was deliberate in the production or just a way to analyze it - I don't like it

Joker had the opportunity to be really good on it's own merit. I think it failed. Hence why I keep seeing "Taxi Driver" comments (I think lol)

Forgot to mention it before.

I loved the Bruce Wayne scene. I found it pretty chilling.

Edited by Shift-4

43 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

really wish the Taxi Driver parallels didn't exist

whether it was deliberate in the production or just a way to analyze it - I don't like it

Joker had the opportunity to be really good on it's own merit. I think it failed. Hence why I keep seeing "Taxi Driver" comments (I think lol)

Forgot to mention it before.

I loved the Bruce Wayne scene. I found it pretty chilling.

There were things done really well in the film (ie: the last 30 minutes), and things that were ok, but messy (ie: the first hour and a half).

I found the movie took a turn for the better once he performed standup for the first time. However, the inconsistencies in the plot from the first 2/3rds of the movie made it difficult to “buy in” to his transformation that occurred. Now, I get what they were going for in his transformation from a mental health standpoint. And had the entire buildup for his character been handled better and with more direction through tightening up in the script, the movie and origin story would have been an interesting study in human development, and especially considering its focusing on a comic book villain. Would have made empathizing for him even more potent.

I think Phoenix did the best with a watered down, Psych 101 version of a mentally disturbed individual as he could.

Its worth seeing, but it’s also disappointing considering how much potential was there in the script. 

• Cheers 1

scream: 4/10. surprised by how much i disliked this, but i probably shouldn't be

from dusk till dawn: 0/10. can't find a single redeemable thing about this movie, minus some observations about salma hayek. 

tarantino wrote the script which includes a totally unnecessary scene of a 90% naked salma hayek pouring liquor down her leg -- he then sucks it off her toes.

in other words, this movie is 90s male fantasy trash

13 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

from dusk till dawn: 0/10. can't find a single redeemable thing about this movie, 

13 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

in other words, this movie is 90s male fantasy trash

Contradict yourself much? :P

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

the lighthouse: it has literally everything. great visuals, great dialogue, great music, fantastic acting (esp from defoe), obscure enough to generate conversation but simple enough even if you aren't the curious type

even with my skyhigh expectations i wasn't let down, and i already wanna see it again

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Monty said:

Creed 2

Remember Ivan Drago?!?

Remember Russia?!?

Remember Apollo Greed?!?

Remember the Rocky steps?!?

Remember comeback victories?!?

DO YOU REMEMBER?!?!?!?!?!?

Well...in fairness, if you did remember, you would not have been watching Creed 2.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Well...in fairness, if you did remember, you would not have been watching Creed 2.

Thankfully I was watching it on the airplane, so I don’t feel bad for “wasting” two hours.

The entire film was a “nostalgia plot.” Which is lazy writing.

7 minutes ago, Monty said:

Thankfully I was watching it on the airplane, so I don’t feel bad for “wasting” two hours.

The entire film was a “nostalgia plot.” Which is lazy writing.

I remember some nostalgia plots...

...Man, those were the days...

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

On 10/23/2019 at 1:59 AM, GLASSJAW said:

from dusk till dawn: 0/10. can't find a single redeemable thing about this movie, minus some observations about salma hayek. 

Loved the shots of the Cougar, used to have 2 of them over the years.

Spoiler

After the first vampire fight, why do they just stand there and talk about vampires?Also they retreat to a room where they can only be attacked from one direction, but decide to take the fight back to the main room. :picard:

Spoiler