Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

On 1/10/2020 at 2:59 PM, Monty said:

Best tv show joke, poking fun at a movie franchise? The Good Place:

*billboard advertisement in Bad Janet’s void*

”Pirates of the Caribbean 12: Jack Sparrow fights Aquaman, probably”

:lol:

Just love that there are two jokes in there, and the second one is that even the studio and marketing team hasn’t seen it. They’re just guessing what it’s probably about.

I see a third joke - Disney acquiring another franchise

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I see a third joke - Disney acquiring another franchise

I was actually thinking about that yesterday, as well. But I thought, “There’s no way the writers are both the nerdy and clever.”

I really hope that was the intention, though. Because if so, that’s terrific.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Monty said:

I was actually thinking about that yesterday, as well. But I thought, “There’s no way the writers are both the nerdy and clever.”

I really hope that was the intention, though. Because if so, that’s terrific.

Like the Taco Bell franchise wars in Demolition Man  :lol: 

• Haha 2

Terminator: Dark Fate

Ok, so it’s not great. But it’s better than Rise of the Machines and the last one, Genysis. I actually liked Salvation, as much as it fell on its face in the last 30 minutes.

But here, there were really good things (the first 25 minutes and middle part, sort of). But the end was weak. Also, there were certainly times when you went, “Wait, if this just happened, then why didn’t they just do that from the very beginning?” And not in a “it was a difficult thing to figure out,” but a “You knew this all along (ie: from the future), so why didn’t you just do that from moment 1?” I know that there is no movie or story then, but it’s a logic flaw in the universe they created. So, if it’s that easy to find a flaw in the movies universe, then perhaps write around that and don’t make it that flimsy to begin with.

But Mackenzie Davis was easily the standout in the movie. She held it together.

10 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

I think this is the worst Star Wars movie. Say what you will about the prequels but I didn't go "...what?" as many times across all 3 films as I did in this one movie.

The prequels is horrendous filmmaking. The only thing that it did “right” was that it had a story that was followed from movie to movie. At least Lucas did that part right. But I would say that isn’t much of an endorsement. I can write a story, but it would still be terrible. Everything else in the prequels, the directing, writing, and acting (because of the directing and writing) was embarrassing. It even contradicted the previous movies, which Lucas created lol.

Rise of the Skywalker is bad, though. In large part because they didn’t even plan out this last trilogy. And the recent leak of Colin Trevorrow’s story idea for what he was going to do with the movie confirms that. And as much of a scumbag as Trevorrow is, his story sounded like it not only made sense with the previous films, but also shows that there was no clear plan from the beginning from Disney.

Parasite

I liked it. It’s just a solid, solid movie. Doesn’t crack my favourite movies from 2010-2019, though.

And, to me, not nearly as good as The Lighthouse. Still have to see Uncut Gems, Monos, and Pain and Glory. However, the fact that The Lighthouse didn’t get any love for best picture and screenplay shows how out of touch Hollywood is. Every part of that film is top notch. Directing, writing, cinematography, editing, acting. It’s just a phenomenal movie. 

Trash.  This is not a "best film" at all for me.  Other than the long camera shots, photography and set design, I can't say I liked much about it.  Certain plot points and circumstances irked me big time. I won't fault the actors because they were all very solid but the writing...I just feel there is potential wasted with this one.  

On 12/31/2019 at 10:07 AM, Down by the River said:

Alright, this top 10 list is in no particular order, nor did I give it too much thought:

Boyhood

The Social Network

Animal Kingdom

Ex Machina

Drive

Hunt for Wilderpeople

Sicario

Mud

The Lobster

Birdman

Halloween

Jaws

Raiders of the Lost Ark 

Blazing Saddles

Se7en

Goodfellas

Dr. Strangelove

Unforgiven

There Will Be Blood

Anchorman

Honey Boy

Written by Shia LaBeouf. Guy has been working hard the last 6 years or so in Indi films, trying to get away from the big budget garbage he got famous for. Some of it has worked, others, not so much. However, in the last 3 years, he’s really been putting out quality material. And Honey Boy is definitely right up there.

Long story short, he wrote the script while he was in rehab, as it chronicles his time as 12 year old (and another when he’s 22 while in rehab) as he lives in a poor apartment complex with his deadbeat father (played spectacularly by LaBeouf), who’s managing his career as a budding child actor. 

Can see that this was a form of therapy for him, and the script is pretty tight. It’s not necessarily hard to watch, but it’s downright sad. Worth watching, though.

3D8075A1-D389-4CB7-8F5A-C8337755495A.jpeg

Not really a film but last night I finally got to watch Book of Mormon. Absolutely loved it and if the tickets weren't so expensive I'd go again in a heart beat. Matt Stone and Trey Parker shaped a lot of my humour due to me watching South Park at a much younger age than I should've but their humour transitioned to the stage really well.

• 2 weeks later...

The Post

There’s no denying that Spielberg has made great movies in the past. And that those movies are classics (see: Indiana Jones 1-3, Jaws, ET, Jurassic Park, Schindler’s List (I assume, still haven’t seen it), Minority Report, Munich). However, he hasn’t made a great movie since 2005 (Lincoln was “ok”). It seems like he’s been coasting the last 15 years in what can only be described as “Dad Movies”. And The Post sits comfortably in that region.

This can only be described as a generic, safe, Oscar bait film. Nothing noteworthy happens. Everything is predictable from a mile away, and nothing is inspired at all. Milquetoast.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

The Post

There’s no denying that Spielberg has made great movies in the past. And that those movies are classics (see: Indiana Jones 1-3, Jaws, ET, Jurassic Park, Schindler’s List (I assume, still haven’t seen it), Minority Report, Munich). However, he hasn’t made a great movie since 2005 (Lincoln was “ok”). It seems like he’s been coasting the last 15 years in what can only be described as “Dad Movies”. And The Post sits comfortably in that region.

This can only be described as a generic, safe, Oscar bait film. Nothing noteworthy happens. Everything is predictable from a mile away, and nothing is inspired at all. Milquetoast.

It seemed like a watered-down version of Spotlight, which was a watered down version of Frost/Nixon, which was a watered down version of The Insider... 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

It seemed like a watered-down version of Spotlight, which was a watered down version of Frost/Nixon, which was a watered down version of The Insider... 

Perfect description. Spotlight, to me, was already massively overrated.

I really liked Frost/Nixon.

But yeah, The Post was so sad. Near the end, when they ran the press and had the montage afterwards of putting the newspapers on trucks and having the trucks driving all over the city to deliver said newspapers, I was literally laughing. Said to myself, “Is Spielberg really trying to make turn this scene into some kind of nail biting moment with tension?” It was laughable.

Waves: 6/10 - drama snowballs. when one thing couldn't get worse, it gets worse. then it gets worse again, then again, only to give a bit of hope that maybe it's not so bad after all

some decent bits and pieces here and there, though