The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

7 hours ago, Monty said:

The Post

There’s no denying that Spielberg has made great movies in the past. And that those movies are classics (see: Indiana Jones 1-3, Jaws, ET, Jurassic Park, Schindler’s List (I assume, still haven’t seen it), Minority Report, Munich). However, he hasn’t made a great movie since 2005 (Lincoln was “ok”). It seems like he’s been coasting the last 15 years in what can only be described as “Dad Movies”. And The Post sits comfortably in that region.

This can only be described as a generic, safe, Oscar bait film. Nothing noteworthy happens. Everything is predictable from a mile away, and nothing is inspired at all. Milquetoast.

Just saw this on the weekend.

It was definitely a movie.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Can’t stand Baz Luhrmann...

You’d think regular musicals were bad enough.

Just looked at his filmography. He hasn’t done very many films, but he seems to ALWAYS be around. 

The only movie of his I watched from start to finish was Australia, but I remember hating it. I watched about 20 minutes of Romeo and Juliet when I was like 15, and my friends and I were like “WTF is this?” 

Never watched Moulin Rouge, would never watch it. Watched the first 5 minutes of The Great Gatsby and quickly remembered he directed it, so I shut it off, knowing I was wasting my time if I continued.

So after all that talk about the dullness of movies about journalism, Wes Anderson just announced he's doing a movie that appears to be loosely based on the development of the New Yorker. I think he'll probably take things in a completely different direction, which could be great for basically lampooning all those movies of the past. 

• 3 weeks later...

Marriage Story

Took me three tries, but finally got through the whole thing. The second half is ridiculously strong. Out of all Noah Baumbach’s films I’ve seen, which admittedly aren’t all his movies, I like it the most (not including the two Wes Anderson movies he helped co-write).

The second half of the movie, starting when Laura Dern and Alan Alda are talking for the first time with the two of their clients, is when the movie gets really, really good.

I will echo what majority of people say, and that’s that Adam Driver is acting circles around everyone, particularly Scarlett Johansson. Now, aside from the fact that Driver is just a phenomenal actor, I think a big reason Johansson just can’t hold up in it is twofold:

1. Driver is given far more to work with; and

2. Her character is further along in the stages of where their marriage is at, compared to where his character is at.

Essentially, we are seeing Adam Driver’s character at a place where Johansson’s character has already been, and she’s already moved forward. She’s already grieved the loss of the marriage, her lost dreams, the acceptance that they are over and her life as a married couple is gone. We are seeing him come to terms with the fact that the life he knew, and liked in regards to where he lives and works. So he’s given far, far more to work with emotionally. 

Worth watching.

7F6234F0-48F9-4D7C-82E6-AB62A71B7F6C.jpeg

• Cheers 1

Indian Horse

A good movie about a young Indigenous boy who is taken away from his family and put into a residential school where he discovers a love for hockey.  Touches on a lot of hot-button Indigenous issues.  Should be available on HBO.

image.jpeg.1e8e836c2c8bd3a3703e7f0baed84ed5.jpeg

5 hours ago, Monty said:

Marriage Story

Took me three tries, but finally got through the whole thing. The second half is ridiculously strong. Out of all Noah Baumbach’s films I’ve seen, which admittedly aren’t all his movies, I like it the most (not including the two Wes Anderson movies he helped co-write).

The second half of the movie, starting when Laura Dern and Alan Alda are talking for the first time with the two of their clients, is when the movie gets really, really good.

7F6234F0-48F9-4D7C-82E6-AB62A71B7F6C.jpeg

Watched bits and pieces of it while my wife watched it- seemed really good.

Mid 90's

Jonah Hill's directorial debut I believe, and what a fantastic coming of age movie. Glad I finally got around to watching it.

The Man With the Iron Fists: 9/10

Okay, so this movie is ridiculous and over the top but my god it is fun! This popped up in my recommended list on Netflix so I figured I'd give it a go. It's a throwback to the cheesy 70's kung fu movies and it's absolutely amazing.

The movie doesn't take itself seriously, so keep that in mind if you give it a watch. If you're expecting something other than bad storytelling, cheesy dialogue and over the top kung fu then this isn't the movie for you.