The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

59 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Today, quarantine drove me to watch Vacation (2015). I didn’t even know it existed. Ed Helms plays an adult Rusty Griswold trying to take his wife and two sons on a vacation. 

Outside of one or two mildly funny scenes it was an absolute train wreck. 

That movie was an embarrassment to the Vacation franchise.

Ed Helms :picard: 

14 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Invisible Man: 7/10

Slow to start but there were some good scenes. Feel like it was a bit too close to the movie Hollow Man.

I watched it yesterday. I really liked it. 8 or 9 for me. Some plot holes, if things didn’t go exactly to his plan, or even if it did. However, I also think you just accept the fact, as we’re told many times, that he’s incredibly smart and thinks ahead. 

Well written and, more impressive, Elisabeth Moss acted the sh*t out of her character. Really conveyed what it’s like when one is in an abusive relation and the trauma they deal with afterwards. Very convincing.

6 minutes ago, Monty said:

That movie was an embarrassment to the Vacation franchise.

Ed Helms :picard: 

I watched it yesterday. I really liked it. 8 or 9 for me. Some plot holes, if things didn’t go exactly to his plan, or even if it did. However, I also think you just accept the fact, as we’re told many times, that he’s incredibly smart and thinks ahead. 

Well written and, more impressive, Elisabeth Moss acted the sh*t out of her character. Really conveyed what it’s like when one is in an abusive relation and the trauma they deal with afterwards. Very convincing.

Movies that star Scientologists immediately lose at least .5 a point from me. 

4 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Movies that star Scientologists immediately lose at least .5 a point from me. 

:lol: 

Whenever I remember that Moss is a Scientologist, I’m utterly shocked. However, she grew up in the movie industry as a child star. So all she knows is the Hollywood world of success without failure.

Birds of Prey (or, just call the movie Harley Quinn FFS)

Wife and I watched it over the last two nights. It's a 1 hour 48 minutes movie. We stopped it the first night at minute 78 to go to bed. Thought the movie was, "Decent". Finished it last night and it seemed like we cut it off when it started to fall flat on it's face and botched the landing. So really, the first 2/3 was "watchable". Definitely not great, but it was better than I expected it to be. But the last half hour is turd. Was really bad actually. Makes the movie overall forgettable.

Been watching...

Gemini Man 5/10

6 Underground 5/10 

Mostly time pass

Uncut Gems 6/10

The Hitman's Bodyguard 7/10

Queen & Slim 7/10

Baby Driver 8/10

The Gentleman 8.5/10

Guy Ritchie.

Knives Out 9/10

Always love a WhoDunit

The Prestige 9.5/10

Can't believe I didn't get around to this earlier. 

3 hours ago, Van40 said:

The Prestige 9.5/10

Can't believe I didn't get around to this earlier. 

Yup, one of my all-time favourites.

It holds up to repeat viewings too. In fact, I dare say it's even better the second time.

• Upvote 1

Underwater

I like the concept, and I don’t care so much if Kristen Stewart can or cannot act. Whether she can, she was miscast in this “Ripley” role, and the writing for her character was a little off; or she just didn’t deliver on it, which is more likely.

Wish I could recommend it, because the concept is great, as is the directing and photography, as well as the design. However, it just couldn’t deliver on what was a great idea.

A909D72F-201C-4D34-AFBA-44531C9E39FA.jpeg

Ad Astra - 7.5/10

The pacing is not going to sit well with the Marvel crowd but it is a well made 2001 Space Odyssey inspired journey with beautiful cinematography and solid acting.

And in the other end of the spectrum...

The Gentlemen -6.5/10

Basically, exactly what you expect from Ritchie. The same formula you've seen before and just as entertaining for popcorn eating as always. Just as McConaughey is equally, usually fun to watch, as he is here. Just don't expect anything groundbreaking.

Vivarium

Another movie with a great concept with great acting from Imogen Poots and Jesse Eisenberg. Before I get into the movie, I don’t know if there’s any actor more off putting, yet manages to make great movies once in a while, than Eisenberg. He can be downright awful in horrible movies, but the he’s great in amazing movies like The Social Network, The End of the Tour, and The Double.

Vivarium is a great idea. And it mostly gets everything right. Just can’t quite stick the landing 100%. Horror/thriller. Worth watching.

19E2C106-03A3-499B-9D73-12AEBDDF2C1A.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 3/28/2020 at 11:07 PM, Monty said:

Vivarium

Another movie with a great concept with great acting from Imogen Poots and Jesse Eisenberg. Before I get into the movie, I don’t know if there’s any actor more off putting, yet manages to make great movies once in a while, than Eisenberg. He can be downright awful in horrible movies, but the he’s great in amazing movies like The Social Network, The End of the Tour, and The Double.

Vivarium is a great idea. And it mostly gets everything right. Just can’t quite stick the landing 100%. Horror/thriller. Worth watching.

19E2C106-03A3-499B-9D73-12AEBDDF2C1A.jpeg

Imogen Poots nailed some scenes. Agreed about the ending but I feel like you just have to tune in for the ride and not care where you end up. 

• Cheers 1

The hunt 

6.5/ 10 

Very much just a time waster of a movie. No real depth in the main character, never really  get to no her, seems very half assed, enough shoot them up action to keep you going but very much lacking any depth to the movie.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bllewellyn said:

The hunt 

6.5/ 10 

Very much just a time waster of a movie. No real depth in the main character, never really  get to no her, seems very half assed, enough shoot them up action to keep you going but very much lacking any depth to the movie.  

Agreed. Was pretty forgettable. Didn’t bother even writing up a short review when I watched it last week. Like you said, half assed.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Imogen Poots nailed some scenes. Agreed about the ending but I feel like you just have to tune in for the ride and not care where you end up. 

Imogen Poots really did a superb job. Her character was given a little more depth and range of emotions to go through. And it was how her characters experienced and showed fear, anger, disappointment, and frustration that was quite impressive. Instead of going all out, she played it very reserved (except for the anger). However, when she expressed anger, it was very jarring and effective, as the rest of her performance she decided to hold back. Less is more sometimes, and it worked here.

Moneyball 8/10

Finally got around to watching this. Decent movie, good acting, etc..

Mostly I'm just glad that no one on these boards misuses the term "moneyball" anymore. I've been around awhile and man, that used to annoy me. Almost as much as when people say "weaponize the cap space".

Isolation has made me (more) bitter...

• Haha 2

I See You

Watched it a few days ago on Amazon Prime. Reviews were decent, so I thought I’d check it out.

It’s messy, but it has an interesting enough premise with a story/perspective that changes midway through. It sort of stars Helen Hunt, but because of the change in perspective midway through, she disappears in the second half until the very, very end. I felt the first half was quite strong; and the second, while starting off interesting, sort of loses steam, even with the increased pace.

If you just want a thriller on to watch and then immediately forget about, fine. Otherwise, you can do better.

B4EE0D07-64E9-4969-858C-3FF70EBE61C7.jpeg

• Like 1

Angel Has Fallen

I can’t believe this is the 3rd movie in a trilogy. I’ve seen all 3, but the first one is not only the most memorable, but also has the highest budget in the series.

This movie not only made the least of the 3, but  the budget was far, far less. And it shows. For a movie made in 2019, the special effects looked straight out of 1999, for a TV movie. It was really off putting. But effects don’t make a good film. The story does. And this, for what’s supposed to be a popcorn movie, was entirely forgetting, dull, and lazy.

The series as a whole isn’t good, but at least the first movie feels like they tried (Antoine Fuqua directed the entry). At a certain point I paused it and my wife and I had a conversation about how, in the past, a trilogy used to be a big deal; an event for movies that were considered tent pole films. Now, everything gets a trilogy, no matter how bland it is. This is the first major motion picture I’ve seen (I know there are a lot of B movies that are straight to video ie: Tremor series) that made it to theatres, and had no business being in the theatres. This movie blows.

12D68304-78B4-40A2-8FDA-EF7C53286DED.jpeg