Kass9

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Sounds like there is a plan to remake Scarface. I guess I'm now getting old enough to recognize when remakes sound like a horrible idea. 

Not sure I like the idea of that, I don’t think that performance can be replicated and work with the more modern times. 
 

Similar to Sopranos, which I just binged recently, I don’t think a more modern remake of it would work. 
 

I also don’t like the idea of Tom Hardy playing Al Capone, it should have been Stephen Graham’s role.  
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Birthday coming up on May 25th. Think my present is to make my wife watch the Star Wars prequels. That’ll be fun :lol: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Prisoners: 9.5/10

 

Denis Villeneuve. Jake Gyllenahl. Hugh Jackman. Maybe one of the more underrated movies of the 2010s. Mad Hugh Jackman is terrifying. Also, great lighting in this movie; something I've really started to pay attention to ever since watching S. 2 of Ozark. 

Edited by Down by the River
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a fun little activity (don’t think it qualifies as an activity actually), thought I’d write down my favourite movie series (must have at least 3 to be a contender). As I was going through all the movies to have at least 3 in them, I quickly realized just how many absolutely terrible franchises there are out there. Man, Hollywood will just milk things until there is no more integrity left in a film franchise.
 

The below ones listed below are, to me, the only ones that, for the most part, are great (even if they have one flop in series):

 

Lord of the Rings: Not including The Hobbit. That can f*** right off :lol: 

 

The Dark Knight Trilogy

 

The Godfather: 3 is a turd, but it still makes the cut.

 

Indiana Jones: 4 is unwatchable. But 3 out of 4 is terrific. That is, until the make the 5th movie, and then I’ll have to revisit this.

 

Mission Impossible: There is 6 movies in this franchise, and really only 2 is laughably bad, but enjoyable in how bad it is. 3 is a bit of a clunker, but still fun. These movies do get better and better.

 

Harry Potter: As kids movies go, this is a solid series. As much as I find the final 2 movies, and the first movie to be pretty average, the rest make up for them, and then some.

 

Mad Max: Aside from the 1st movie, all are great. And really, the second movie is really start of the series. The first was much like my next series I’ll mention...

 

Evil Dead: Evil Dead 2 is essentially the first movie, just WAY better. Also felt the reboot back in 2013 was incredibly underrated.

 

John Wick: Number 3 was the weakest of the 3 so far (4 coming), but the movies are just so damn fun and ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Monty said:

As a fun little activity (don’t think it qualifies as an activity actually), thought I’d write down my favourite movie series (must have at least 3 to be a contender). As I was going through all the movies to have at least 3 in them, I quickly realized just how many absolutely terrible franchises there are out there. Man, Hollywood will just milk things until there is no more integrity left in a film franchise.
 

The below ones listed below are, to me, the only ones that, for the most part, are great (even if they have one flop in series):

 

Lord of the Rings: Not including The Hobbit. That can f*** right off :lol: 

 

The Dark Knight Trilogy

 

The Godfather: 3 is a turd, but it still makes the cut.

 

Indiana Jones: 4 is unwatchable. But 3 out of 4 is terrific. That is, until the make the 5th movie, and then I’ll have to revisit this.

 

Mission Impossible: There is 6 movies in this franchise, and really only 2 is laughably bad, but enjoyable in how bad it is. 3 is a bit of a clunker, but still fun. These movies do get better and better.

 

Harry Potter: As kids movies go, this is a solid series. As much as I find the final 2 movies, and the first movie to be pretty average, the rest make up for them, and then some.

 

Mad Max: Aside from the 1st movie, all are great. And really, the second movie is really start of the series. The first was much like my next series I’ll mention...

 

Evil Dead: Evil Dead 2 is essentially the first movie, just WAY better. Also felt the reboot back in 2013 was incredibly underrated.

 

John Wick: Number 3 was the weakest of the 3 so far (4 coming), but the movies are just so damn fun and ridiculous.

Nice idea.

 

Here are my top 10 (instead of doing actual work):

 

1. The Godfather

2. Dark Knight/Christian Bale Trilogy

3. Hannibal Lecter (Silence of the Lambs, etc.)

4. Rocky

5. John Wick

6. James Bond

7. Jason Bourne

8. Naked Gun

9. Lethal Weapon

10. Star Wars (Only if I am allowed to count only the first three made)

 

Honorable mentions: The Matrix, Toy Story, Kill Bill, Jason Bourne, Die Hard

 

* I still haven't seen all the LotR movies, nor the Mad Max series minus the most recent one. 

** I didn't count X-Men because there are just too many characters it doesn't seem right to treat it as a series. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Nice idea.

 

Here are my top 10 (instead of doing actual work):

 

1. The Godfather

2. Dark Knight/Christian Bale Trilogy

3. Hannibal Lecter (Silence of the Lambs, etc.)

4. Rocky

5. John Wick

6. James Bond

7. Jason Bourne

8. Naked Gun

9. Lethal Weapon

10. Star Wars (Only if I am allowed to count only the first three made)

 

Honorable mentions: The Matrix, Toy Story, Kill Bill, Jason Bourne, Die Hard

I excluded the Bond films, even though I enjoy a good portion of them, only because there are some that are downright terrible. And I actually don’t like the Daniel Craig ones (except Casino Royale).

 

The Rocky movies have 8 in the series (if you include Creed films), and I just didn’t like most of those, either.

 

Star Wars movies, as fun as the whole universe is, are mostly flawed. The prequels are baffling and the new trilogy is terrible. Rogue One is saved because of the last 3rd of the film, but I have a hard time rewatching it because the first 2/3rds is boring (to me). I really like Solo, though.

 

Thought about Hannibal Lector, movies. Silence of the Lambs is so good, it almost makes you forget about some of the terrible ones.

 

17 hours ago, Down by the River said:

nor the Mad Max series minus the most recent one. 

The first Mad Max really isn’t necessary to watch. But The Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome are so much fun.

 

17 hours ago, Down by the River said:

** I didn't count X-Men because there are just too many characters it doesn't seem right to treat it as a series. 

:lol: I thought the same thing. I looked at the list and thought, “I’m stressed out just looking at how many there are.”

 

I did think about the Fast and the Furious franchise, because the 5th film really turned it all around. From what I’ve been told, anyway. I haven’t seen 2-4. But 5-8 are really a lot of fun. I also enjoyed Hobbs and Shaw.

Edited by Monty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Down by the River said:

8. Naked Gun

giphy.gif

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Prisoners: 9.5/10

 

Denis Villeneuve. Jake Gyllenahl. Hugh Jackman. Maybe one of the more underrated movies of the 2010s. Mad Hugh Jackman is terrifying. Also, great lighting in this movie; something I've really started to pay attention to ever since watching S. 2 of Ozark. 

Hugh Jackman a candidate for Joel from The Last of Us. They look identical. If they ever made a movie or series on that game. The game is flawless. But most games to movies end up being garbage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Art of Self Defense: 8/10

 

Extremely dark comedy with Jesse Eisenberg and Imogen Poots (they both starred in another recent movie, Vivarium). For anyone that has ever done any sort of martial art, a lot of scenes will resonate. 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A heads up to those who might be interested:  if you have a Vancouver Public Library card (or a library card for many other large cities) you can get free access to a movie streaming service called kanopy.

 

They have an interesting collection - artsy movies like "8 1/2", "Breathless", "Jules and Jim", popular movies like "Chinatown", horror movies etc.

 

Details at:

 

https://www.kanopy.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And speaking of artsy movies available at kanopy - I watched "Last Year at Marienbad". 

 

From the website:

 

"This French New-Wave classic features stunning imagery, while deliberately avoiding conventional plot and character development. In a vast and opulent hotel, an unnamed man attempts to persuade a similarly unnamed married woman that they have not only met before, but that they were also romantically involved and had planned to elope together."

 

Kind of bizarre but very interesting if you like this sort ot thing.  And I do.  I was competely lost for the first fifteen minutes or so and then partially lost for the remainder of the movie.  The kind of movie I can see myself watching again to see what I can make of it.

   

                          image.jpeg.edefb5373658509748b3137bf5a7e810.jpeg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Down by the River said:

The Art of Self Defense: 8/10

 

Extremely dark comedy with Jesse Eisenberg and Imogen Poots (they both starred in another recent movie, Vivarium). For anyone that has ever done any sort of martial art, a lot of scenes will resonate. 

Really liked Art of Self Defense. So fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Monty said:

Really liked Art of Self Defense. So fun.

I swear they added a filter onto the Youtube trailer to make it look far more bright and cheerful than reality.

 

It certainly wasn't a laugh out loud movie for me, but I let out a lot of half laughs (don't know what the right word is here)

 



 

When he made his own yellow belt and then handed out special belts to everyone, including a black belt to his sensei, which was literally just a regular black belt, really got to me. Hilarious scene without really making me laugh.

 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2020 at 6:43 PM, D-Money said:

giphy.gif

Bingo.jpg.774c72722c65523265a2476e38ea3a52.jpg

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2020 at 8:43 PM, D-Money said:

giphy.gif

 

10 hours ago, gurn said:

Bingo.jpg.774c72722c65523265a2476e38ea3a52.jpg

My wife actually hasn't seen any of the Naked Gun movies. Maybe it's time to trot those out.

  • Upvote 2
  • Sedinery 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Monty said:

My wife actually hasn't seen any of the Naked Gun movies. Maybe it's time to trot those out.

CommonDefensiveIrukandjijellyfish-size_r

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, D-Money said:

CommonDefensiveIrukandjijellyfish-size_r

This one below is a classic one for our family. We always do it together when one person does it:

 

D678233C-53BD-442F-A29D-E9A3C0EB0C01.gif.0bb4a16dd7d45748efd7ece8598f5047.gif
 

Also, this quote from the first movie:

 

Frank (discussing ex-wife): What about the guy, know anything about him?

Captain: Not much. Just that he’s an Olympic gymnast and it’s the best sex she’s ever had.

 

:lol: 

Edited by Monty
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those might be the only movies/tv thing I can watch that stars a questionable person in it. That first scene with OJ on the boat is hands down one of the funniest slapstick scenes on film.

 

I really want to go back and rewatch The Cosby Show, but it really doesn’t feel right.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Monty said:

This one below is a classic one for our family. We always do it together when one person does it:

 

D678233C-53BD-442F-A29D-E9A3C0EB0C01.gif.0bb4a16dd7d45748efd7ece8598f5047.gif
 

Also, this quote from the first movie:

 

Frank (discussing ex-wife): What about the guy, know anything about him?

Captain: Not much. Just that he’s an Olympic gymnast and it’s the best sex she’s ever had.

 

:lol: 

I think I was like 8 or 9 when I watched the first one with my Dad. I am so glad that I watched it at that age because I loved it and yet missed like half the jokes. Could get older, re-watch, and find something new to laugh about. 

 



“It’s the same old story. Boy finds girl, boy loses girl, girl finds boy, boy forgets girl, boy remembers girl, girls dies in a tragic blimp accident over the Orange Bowl on New Year’s Day.” – Frank Drebin

 

“Goodyear?” – Jane Spencer

 

“No, the worst.” – Frank Drebin

  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.