The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

On 6/15/2020 at 5:52 PM, Down by the River said:

Pretty sure Schumer took a nosedive when it was revealed that her stand-up/comedy skits were stolen from other comics. 

I thought it was when people figured out she wasn't funny, even when stealing other people's work.

• Upvote 1

You Should Have Left

Like the recently released Vivarium, this movie had a lot going for it, notably the idea and story. But, like Vivarium, it couldn’t stick the landing and would have worked better as a 45 minute episode of The Twilight Zone.

79BD4115-6D73-4032-9327-9853B329EDEB.thumb.jpeg.c2dd095b62cb25398bc33b41cfcd5fb3.jpeg

Sicario: Day of the Saldado: 7.5/10

God Dammit is Benicio Del Toro cool. The scene of him on the bus is one of my favorites.

frpD47m.png

But Denis Villeneuve is missing from the movie and it shows. Some shots feel like a ripoff from No Country for Old Men and the last act just feels stupidly coincidental. Like about as lazy as you can get to try and tie things together. 

Edited by Down by the River
  • Cheers 1

Chicken Little - 2/10

As a parent with small children, I’m glad that most Disney movies are decent, and occasionally they are even fantastic (Wall-E, Inside Out, both Incredibles). But this... ...this was just pure garbage.

Edited by D-Money
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Chicken Little - 2/10

As a parent with small children, I’m glad that most Disney movies are decent, and occasionally they are even fantastic (Wall-E, Inside Out, both Incredibles). But this... ...this was just pure garbage.

I’m so sorry you had to watch that.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Chicken Little - 2/10

Likewise, I'm sorry for you, be especially since there's so many good kids movies to choose from :lol:

• Cheers 1

The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Out of the 3 most well known (and recent) movies in Largos Lanthimos’ filmography, this is actually the one I like the most. It definitely is a downer of a film, but considering it’s based off/inspired by a Greek tragedy, there’s really only one way the movie could go. I really loved it.

B8EEA3AB-5EE0-41AA-9EC8-31D8C227283F.png

Edited by Monty

Shaun The Sheep: Farmageddon - 7.5/10

(Netflix) This was an excellent family movie. Near-constant jokes, and more of then hit than don’t. My kids really enjoyed it - my 7 year-old laughed out loud throughout - but I laughed a lot myself.

(The main plot device is actually remarkably similar to Chicken Little...which reminded me even more of how much that movie blows. Without even one word of narrative, this was infinitely more funny.)

Edited by D-Money

Kung Fu Hustle - 7/10

Silly, stylistic kung fu movie. Quite enjoyed it.

Started watching The Fast and The Furious Franchise.. they have the first 8 on Netflix.

The Fast and The Furious - 6/10. As long as you're in the right mood and are not looking for plot or acting, it's a fun car movie.

2 Fast 2 Furious - 5/10. More of the same, the sequel is never as good. No Vin Diesel.

Next up is Tokyo Drift. I've heard the movies take off with Fast 5 so I'm giving it a chance. Also, what else am I doing, lol!

23 minutes ago, babych said:

Kung Fu Hustle - 7/10

Silly, stylistic kung fu movie. Quite enjoyed it.

Haven’t watched it since it initially came out (2004?)). But I loved it at the time.

• Like 1

I am Legend: 7/10

The movie was probably way better when it came out (2007), but it is difficult to watch 13 years later. CGI is horrible. Also, any movie that comes out with 'alternate endings' deserves to lose a point or two. Have some chutzpah, pick one and live with it. There's an alternative reality somewhere where everyone on the Titanic survives, but nobody wants to see the movie version of that reality. 

But also, dogs, man.

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

On 6/22/2020 at 10:15 PM, Monty said:

The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Out of the 3 most well known (and recent) movies in Largos Lanthimos’ filmography, this is actually the one I like the most. It definitely is a downer of a film, but considering it’s based off/inspired by a Greek tragedy, there’s really only one way the movie could go. I really loved it.

B8EEA3AB-5EE0-41AA-9EC8-31D8C227283F.png

Thanks for reminding me of this one. Need to watch it. 

10 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Thanks for reminding me of this one. Need to watch it. 

I honestly think it helps to know that it was based off of a Greek tragedy, "Iphigenia in Aulis". I knew this going in, and it made it that much better. I spoke to another person who sometimes likes movies like this, and he did not like it. However, when we discussed it last night, he said that knowing that ahead of time, as well as knowing the overview of the Greek play as well, really would have helped with the viewing experience.

Like I said, I really loved it. I'm also a big fan of Colin Farrell. I was listening to a movie Podcast a few months ago, one that is co-hosted by a current Hollywood actor who obviously knows the innerworkings of Hollywood, and he said that directors love working with Colin Farrell, because he has zero ego. He trusts and asks questions of the directors and writers all the time when it comes to his performance. Apparently he doesn't like preparing for his characters, because he believes he doesn't know better than those that created it and are directing him.  When I heard that, it really changed my opinion of him. And he plays the character real well. 

EDIT: Also, I believed for the longest time that I needed to be in the "right mood" to watch it. However, I just put it on 2 nights ago, "Just because." Actually really felt like watching more Community episodes. But I just hit "Play" and was instantly hooked. I would just dive right in.

Edited by Monty

12 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I am Legend: 7/10

The movie was probably way better when it came out (2007), but it is difficult to watch 13 years later. CGI is horrible. Also, any movie that comes out with 'alternate endings' deserves to lose a point or two. Have some chutzpah, pick one and live with it. There's an alternative reality somewhere where everyone on the Titanic survives, but nobody wants to see the movie version of that reality. 

But also, dogs, man.

The better ending, which is the one that wasn't released in theatres, is way better, which is also pretty much the opinion of most people I've talked to. But yeah, just pick one ending.

Not the same thing, but makes me think about the "Release the Snyder Cut" of Justice League that's now getting released/redone for next year. Can't believe they are pouring $40M+ into redoing that disaster of a movie so fanboys can get their precious Snyder version. Like, has he released anything in the last 15 years that's been remotely good? Why would his version be better? And if it is, it would go from "Horrible" to "Awful." Polishing a turd still smells.