The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift.  2/10

Third instalment in the franchise is a steaming pile of dog crap. Let me preface this with saying that nobody is going to confuse the earlier movies with quality, but at least they were fun. This one... not so much.

The Goonies - 8/10

Love this movie. Saw it in the theater last night. Not sure if some of the stereotypes hold up in today's society but this movie is awesome.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, babych said:

The Goonies - 8/10

Love this movie. Saw it in the theater last night. Not sure if some of the stereotypes hold up in today's society but this movie is awesome.

Watched this a ton as a kid in the 80s and 90s. My wife watched it for the first time about 10(ish) years ago. Didn't get it.

• Like 1

Ad Astra    This movie has popped up on Crave.   I was disappointed.  Admittedly the shots of outer space are good.  But the plot line was kind of silly.  Energy bursts from a long ago expedition threaten Earth?  Pitt is able to sneak onto a rocket ship preparing to blast off to  Neptune?  And why was the Donald Sutherland character even brought into the story?

It seemed as though the movie was trying hard to make a philosophic point of some sort but I missed it.  I'm open to explanations.  But for now:  meh.

• Upvote 1

On 6/26/2020 at 9:23 PM, UnkNuk said:

Ad Astra    This movie has popped up on Crave.   I was disappointed.  Admittedly the shots of outer space are good.  But the plot line was kind of silly.  Energy bursts from a long ago expedition threaten Earth?  Pitt is able to sneak onto a rocket ship preparing to blast off to  Neptune?  And why was the Donald Sutherland character even brought into the story?

It seemed as though the movie was trying hard to make a philosophic point of some sort but I missed it.  I'm open to explanations.  But for now:  meh.

Pretty much how I felt. I got to see it at the drive-in during a starry night, so the ambiance was definitely there; unfortunately the plot felt like the writer just discovered that they have Daddy issues and was expressing themselves for the very first time. 

• Haha 2

Had a sudden though/question.

Are there any other actors/actresses in the last 10 years to get consistent work after one successful movie than Kristin Wiig and Melissa McCarthy with Bridesmaids? I know both had success beforehand with SNL and whatever else McCarthy was in. But I can’t think of other actors that have rode the coat tails from one movie lately than they have.

The all time leader is Adam Sandler, as he’s been doing it for 3 decades.

Maybe Jennifer Lawrence. She always comes across as a child playing dress up.

Edited by Monty

The Truman Show

I remember enjoying this a lot when I watched it shortly after its release (on VHS no less!) but time has not been kind to it. It feels very much like an artefact from a very particular period of time and has lost a lot of its impact in the intervening years. Now it feels shallow and heavy handed in a way it didn't nearer its release. Still, I think it's one of Carey's best performances; I'm not generally a fan but he's had a few good roles over the years.

Coherence: 10/10

I think this was my third time re-watching. Probably my favorite low-budget film of all time. Rather than give actors a script, the director gave them cue cards with 'goals for the day' and just let them act out the scene in whatever way came naturally. One of the actors was also the writer of the script and so was able to sometimes steer scenes in the direction they wanted things to go in. Not bad for a movie shot in 5 days on a $50,000 budget, $8,000 of which was spent on a wig they had to buy because they had to do some reshoots and the actor cut her hair. 

I haven't talked at all about the plot because it is really just something you need to watch. 

Spirited Away

At 38 years of age, this is the first anime I’ve ever watched. Never been in my lane or had friends or family that have been remotely interested in it. So this was hard watch. Now, not a hard watch in that I was bored or didn’t find it fascinating, but that there was so much going on and, from everything I read afterwards, just so many layers that it’s really something you can watch 20 times and still find something new each time, have a different/deeper take away from one watch to another, etc.

I really liked it, but know I’d need to watch it again and again and again to truly appreciate it.

91DD6B3E-00A9-480F-B7BA-7E70667C657A.jpeg.71b00d02dd86a2094e8145241c817a62.jpeg

• Cheers 1

Official Secrets: 8/10

This is a pretty incredible story of a 'spy' that 'betrays' her government to reveal some information that the public deserves to know. I just don't know if the story is best told through a movie... but Keira Knightley is pretty good and the movie was directed by the same guy that did Eye in the Sky, which was phenomenal. 

Palm Springs

Like Groundhog Day, an infinite time loop movie, starring Andy Samberg and Cristin Mioloti. Here, each one knows how they got stuck in the loop, as Andy does it first (and we have no clue how long he has been in it for), but they also have no clue how to get out of it. Stuck living the same wedding day over and over again.

I really enjoyed it. While in Groundhog Day’s case, there’s a general idea that Murray was stuck living that day for around 15 years. Here, it’s incredibly difficult to decipher, as there is no clear indicator, as he doesn’t master anything/etc. I have an idea, but I’d share that with someone who’s seen the movie.

Definitely, definitely worth watching.

D4F1967A-3E52-4163-AC9B-2C4B68548111.thumb.jpeg.b85079a1f009be2d40cfdda70dd02e4f.jpeg

Vivarium.   Available on Crave.

A young house hunting couple are invited to see a new housing development only to discover they can't leave.

I like weird movies as much as the next person but I think there should be some point to the weirdness, some explanation.  And I felt unsatisfied at the end of this, admittedly weird, movie.

large_vivarium-poster.jpg 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Vivarium.   Available on Crave.

A young house hunting couple are invited to see a new housing development only to discover they can't leave.

I like weird movies as much as the next person but I think there should be some point to the weirdness, some explanation.  And I felt unsatisfied at the end of this, admittedly weird, movie.

large_vivarium-poster.jpg 

Just watched this as well, was alright. The biggest impression it left me was it had the same feeling of this book I read about 18 years ago called "House of Leaves" To be sure - the plots are very different but the overall feeling was the same. Kinda feeling claustrophobic and despondent. Its funny though, haven't thought about "House of Leaves" in years and this movie made me think of it early in.