74 replies to this topic

#1 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

I hate to be negative but I'm simply looking at the facts. The Canuckks are notoriously slow starters. If you look at the past several years, the record will show that we are bad in October thru November. If we transpose that to January, there isn't any time to make up for a slow start.

Add to this, the Canucks core are lazily taking time off and not playing in Europe save for Schneider. The Sedins, Burrows, Hamhuis, Edler, and others are stuck in their couches while other teams are playing in Europe, AHL, Spengler, etc.

Wiese, Raymond and Janik can't carry the load.

There's still about 3 weeks til the season starts (if there is) so I suggest the Canucks core join something......fast.

Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#2 Rhinogator

Rhinogator

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

as long as they make it to the playoffs its fine. a shorter season means by the time playoff comes we'r not that tired and have gotten some time to group up. Mid-late season is where the canucks perform the best.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

POPULAR

Can you bring me to these players houses when you go over and see them plastered to their respective couches please?

Posted Image
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#4 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

as long as they make it to the playoffs its fine. a shorter season means by the time playoff comes we'r not that tired and have gotten some time to group up. Mid-late season is where the canucks perform the best.

It's a small window to make playoffs. Slow start is not an option.

#5 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

Can you bring me to these players houses when you go over and see them plastered to their respective couches please?

Posted Image

It's a form of speech.

#6 Grabnerz

Grabnerz

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

then we will get a better draft pick then were getting if there isn't a season... i'm fine with that

Edited by Grabnerz, 28 December 2012 - 09:59 PM.

#7 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

then we will get a better draft pick then were getting if there isn't a season... i'm fine with that

You do have a point come to think of it. But it's still painful to be eliminated.

#8 wshdrvvn

wshdrvvn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

I'd rather have them play and fail then to not compete at all. It would suck sure, i just want the canucks back.

#9 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,334 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

Everyone is on equal playing ground. Garrison, Edler, and Kes were injured for the majority of this lockout.
I think this benefited us more, since nobody had to be forced back early.

Our prospects also got more development time away from the spotlight.

Subbancopy.jpg

#10 Brad Marchand

Brad Marchand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,415 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

Well since you seem to like focusing on the negative side of everything, let's for once focus on the positives:

1. Kesler, Edler, and Garrison are all healthier than they would've been had the season started in October
2. A shorter season (albeit a more condensed one) should leave the Canucks less fatigued and injury-riddled by the time the playoffs roll around, especially with the absence of inter-conference games
3. If the team's trend of hitting their stride in the third or fourth month of the season continues, the Canucks should be in mid-season form by the end April, which is when the playoffs should start.
4. The Canucks won't have to play a ton of meaningless games down the stretch like they did last season.

Oh, and the Canucks have a combined November record of 32-16-3 over the last four seasons.

Edited by Brad Marchand, 28 December 2012 - 10:30 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Luc Bourdon & Rick Rypien: Forever Canucks

#11 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

I don't think so. The Canucks have the worst travel schedule in the League and are not a very young team. The core is over 30 or close to it.

Canucks will benefit from a short season. They'll be fresh for the playoffs. Last season they peaked about 1/2 way thru the season when they played Bruins in Boston and beat them. By the end of the year they were tired and slow.

#12 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

They aren't being lazy....

Edler as well as Garrison and Kesler are recovering from injuries and the twins, burr, hammer, juice, ect. are all aging and their window in their prime is closing, therefore a year of rest for them isn't a bad thing.
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#13 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

Instead of a negative, uninformed opinion, why not simply rely on some facts.

Canucks record two seasons ago:

October: 4-3-2
Novemvber: 8-4-1
December: 11-1-2
January: 8-2-4

Canucks record last season:

October: 5-5-1
November: 9-4-0
December: 10-4-1
January: 7-2-2

Shortened season? Who cares? Luongo is the slow starter. The Canucks - slow-ish for ten games, and then bang.
Nothing to worry about.
Thread fail.

#14 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,758 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

At the January 12th mark last season we were in first in the Western Conference.

Not sure where this notion comes from that we haven't been good in the first half of the season. Sure we've struggled during November, but this team has caught fire in December and January.

If that happens in a 48 game schedule it would mean that they would be rolling heading into the playoffs.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#15 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

You and your horrible negative threads.........I dont think you a fan.........

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#16 Sergei Shirokov

Sergei Shirokov

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

The thing that seemed to get this team year in and year out was attrition. Me thinks a 48 games schedule will do them wonders.

However, this season will probably be the canucks best and last shot at a cup with this core. After that, we're gonna have to tear apart the roster to comply with a $60M cap. Burrows gets a raise, Higgins and Lapierre are due for raises, and most importantly....Edler gets a raise.

Unless our prospects make some drastic improvements over the upcoming summer, this is our last shot.

#17 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,779 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:08 AM

Life goes on...
Posted Image

#18 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,656 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:18 AM

How do you know that they're "stuck IN their couches"?....I know the Sedins, in particular, take their fitness very seriously and that doesn't just end with hockey. These guys have had grueling schedules and long seasons where injuries have been a factor. The rest may just do them some good and it won't take them long to find their legs, etc. once they hit the ice.

Posted Image

#19 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:21 AM

I don't think so. The Canucks have the worst travel schedule in the League and are not a very young team. The core is over 30 or close to it.

Canucks will benefit from a short season. They'll be fresh for the playoffs. Last season they peaked about 1/2 way thru the season when they played Bruins in Boston and beat them. By the end of the year they were tired and slow.

I am so sick of everyone crying about the travel, what about Detroit or Winnipeg? and we are talking about a 4hr plane ride big deal.
I live in bc and work in Pennsylvania I fly across the continent all the time, most of the time in coach. I can still function
These guys take a 4 hour flight to Boston in absolute luxury and we are suppose to feel sorry for them? It's not like they carry any bags or run around trying to make connections, they lay down and sleep or play poker with a grease ball.

Edited by debluvscanucks, 29 December 2012 - 12:23 AM.
Swear filter bypass

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#20 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,132 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

They're definitely not lazing around. You cannot afford to do that as a professional athlete. Most can't anyway.
Posted Image

#21 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,656 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:25 AM

I live in bc and work in Pennsylvania I fly across the continent all the time, most of the time in coach. I can still function

That's all good, but I don't think you're a professional athlete and "functioning" at that level is something quite different than a regular job.

Posted Image

#22 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:44 AM

I am so sick of everyone crying about the travel, what about Detroit or Winnipeg? and we are talking about a 4hr plane ride big deal.
These guys take a 4 hour flight to Boston in absolute luxury and we are suppose to feel sorry for them? It's not like they carry any bags or run around trying to make connections, they lay down and sleep or play poker with a grease ball.

Do you fly to Pennsylvania work for a few hrs and fly to another city to work for another few hours spend a night at the hotel and then fly to another city? Or do you go to Pa. stay there for an extended time and come home to Vancouver on your days off?

it is an issue. The team spends millions on attempts to mitigate the affects of travel by hiring sleep doctors to psychiatrists. Just look what Team Canada did for the Juniors team this year. Any one who has ever been on an air plane can tell you jet lag is real and traveling to different time zones affects your sleep patern. Travel is a huge issue.

Would you rather be NYR who is a 1 or 2 hr bus ride to most of their division games or Canucks who's closest trip is Calgary. Would you rather drive home a 2 hr bus ride and sleep in your own bed or sleep in a hotel room hundreds of miles away.

Also playing a sport at world class level is a lot different than waking up and going to a conference. And then having to do it again the next night after another plane ride can get pretty hard on the body.

Edited by WHL rocks, 29 December 2012 - 12:48 AM.

#23 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:40 AM

How is it detrimental? Most people thought the season would be lost anyways...I'd just be glad to watch hockey.

Besides,
If we tank, and have a slow start...the better our draft pick will be! :)

I'm hoping for Mantha, or Lipon in the 1st, Carrier/Roy in the 2nd, and Fitzgerald in the 3rd :)
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#24 Derp...

Derp...

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:50 AM

The Canucks will win. I dono when, but they will and every game we play brings us closer to our first cup , so if you want optimism there it is.

If you want pessimism were going to lose a lot more cups than we win and every game we play brings us close to heart ache and defeat.

So this debate is really pointless as we can speculate our whole lives as to what might happen, instead of living in the moment and appreciating what is happening.

However the truth is having something to look forward too and work towards is why we do what we do. That sense of accomplishment when we complete our goals is the addiction.

Anyway you spin it is your choice, my spin is a shorter season gives us the best opportunity to win a cup this year as opposed to no season at all where no cup is awarded so let's play!
linden Vey Sig

#25 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:59 AM

You really think they are plastered to their couches? I know the Sedins, Raymond, Hansen, Schneider and Weise aren't. And you try hunting... David Booth is in tremendous shape. Higgins you don't have to worry about and Luongo wants to win back his job. Everyone else has taken cues from the Sedins. I bet we are the fittest team in the league when the season starts.

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#26 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:35 AM

Honestly, I don't think I will even be into this season much, if the canucks get eliminated in the playoffs won't really bother me. To me, I want the Canucks to win in a full season, the true grind and roller coaster of emotions.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#27 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:46 AM

We are an older team with decent depth, and we will not have to do a whack of out of conference travel... we come out well in this in my books.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#28 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,884 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:56 AM

If it is a drag race season I think we have the team to pull it off. We would need a stellar training camp and someone to fill that huge hole on the second line for Kes other than that I think we could do some serious damage.

bmw-e30-m3-drift-o.gif

On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami :ph34r:

#29 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:29 AM

Do you fly to Pennsylvania work for a few hrs and fly to another city to work for another few hours spend a night at the hotel and then fly to another city? Or do you go to Pa. stay there for an extended time and come home to Vancouver on your days off?

it is an issue. The team spends millions on attempts to mitigate the affects of travel by hiring sleep doctors to psychiatrists. Just look what Team Canada did for the Juniors team this year. Any one who has ever been on an air plane can tell you jet lag is real and traveling to different time zones affects your sleep patern. Travel is a huge issue.

Would you rather be NYR who is a 1 or 2 hr bus ride to most of their division games or Canucks who's closest trip is Calgary. Would you rather drive home a 2 hr bus ride and sleep in your own bed or sleep in a hotel room hundreds of miles away.

Also playing a sport at world class level is a lot different than waking up and going to a conference. And then having to do it again the next night after another plane ride can get pretty hard on the body.

You are over rating it and I am under rating it i guess
NY is a bus ride to New Jersey and Long Island, Pitt, Philly, Boston are still a plane ride. Do you honestly think you can take a bus from pitt to philly? haha. look at chicago, nash, dal, actually, 90% of the league cant take a bus to any game!
It's not like its a crazy disadvantage, you make it sound like they play a home and home with the florida panthers every other day.
The kings and ducks have won cups.
Calgary is a 45 min plane ride in a luxurious private jet. Vancouver is an extra 45 min plane ride past Calgary and they are in the same division. this extra 45 mins is making this huge difference?

And god forbid if they have to go from one luxurious hotel to the other in back to back games

Life is hard playing a game you love for millions of dollars while traveling around North America.

Worst excuse ever, right up there with my dog ate my homework. Or I got chlamydia from a public toilet seat, baby I swear!

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#30 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:58 AM

I can see why you would mention that, and it's not all that crazy... But remember, we are still an elite team. Not just in our division, but the conference too. So we have a very good chance of making the playoffs, and that's really all the chance we need It apparently doesn't matter how many times we finish 1st in a standing, if we don't go all the way. So let's just get in there and prove what we can do!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.