The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A 48-game season is detrimental to the Canucks

RAMBUTANS

I hate to be negative but I'm simply looking at the facts. The Canuckks are notoriously slow starters. If you look at the past several years, the record will show that we are bad in October thru November. If we transpose that to January, there isn't any time to make up for a slow start.

Add to this, the Canucks core are lazily taking time off and not playing in Europe save for Schneider. The Sedins, Burrows, Hamhuis, Edler, and others are stuck in their couches while other teams are playing in Europe, AHL, Spengler, etc.

Wiese, Raymond and Janik can't carry the load.

There's still about 3 weeks til the season starts (if there is) so I suggest the Canucks core join something......fast.

Everyone is on equal playing ground. Garrison, Edler, and Kes were injured for the majority of this lockout.

I think this benefited us more, since nobody had to be forced back early.

Our prospects also got more development time away from the spotlight.

Well since you seem to like focusing on the negative side of everything, let's for once focus on the positives:

1. Kesler, Edler, and Garrison are all healthier than they would've been had the season started in October

2. A shorter season (albeit a more condensed one) should leave the Canucks less fatigued and injury-riddled by the time the playoffs roll around, especially with the absence of inter-conference games

3. If the team's trend of hitting their stride in the third or fourth month of the season continues, the Canucks should be in mid-season form by the end April, which is when the playoffs should start.

4. The Canucks won't have to play a ton of meaningless games down the stretch like they did last season.

Oh, and the Canucks have a combined November record of 32-16-3 over the last four seasons.

I don't think so. The Canucks have the worst travel schedule in the League and are not a very young team. The core is over 30 or close to it.

Canucks will benefit from a short season. They'll be fresh for the playoffs. Last season they peaked about 1/2 way thru the season when they played Bruins in Boston and beat them. By the end of the year they were tired and slow.

Instead of a negative, uninformed opinion, why not simply rely on some facts.

Canucks record two seasons ago:

October: 4-3-2

Novemvber: 8-4-1

December: 11-1-2

January: 8-2-4

Canucks record last season:

October: 5-5-1

November: 9-4-0

December: 10-4-1

January: 7-2-2

Shortened season? Who cares? Luongo is the slow starter. The Canucks - slow-ish for ten games, and then bang.

Nothing to worry about.

Thread fail.

At the January 12th mark last season we were in first in the Western Conference.

Not sure where this notion comes from that we haven't been good in the first half of the season. Sure we've struggled during November, but this team has caught fire in December and January.

If that happens in a 48 game schedule it would mean that they would be rolling heading into the playoffs.

The thing that seemed to get this team year in and year out was attrition. Me thinks a 48 games schedule will do them wonders.

However, this season will probably be the canucks best and last shot at a cup with this core. After that, we're gonna have to tear apart the roster to comply with a $60M cap. Burrows gets a raise, Higgins and Lapierre are due for raises, and most importantly....Edler gets a raise.

Unless our prospects make some drastic improvements over the upcoming summer, this is our last shot.

How do you know that they're "stuck IN their couches"?....I know the Sedins, in particular, take their fitness very seriously and that doesn't just end with hockey. These guys have had grueling schedules and long seasons where injuries have been a factor. The rest may just do them some good and it won't take them long to find their legs, etc. once they hit the ice.

I don't think so. The Canucks have the worst travel schedule in the League and are not a very young team. The core is over 30 or close to it.

Canucks will benefit from a short season. They'll be fresh for the playoffs. Last season they peaked about 1/2 way thru the season when they played Bruins in Boston and beat them. By the end of the year they were tired and slow.

Archived