The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Smokers..

nux4lyfe

Guest Gumballthechewy

Think about what you just posted... the term irony immediately comes to mind.

You are free to breathe the air but not pollute it and introduce significant health hazards for others by way of second hand smoke.

Which is why there are regulations to stop smokers from smoking in public areas. :lol:

Idiocy is a matter of opinion, sir. Most people smoke to relieve stress or because they are addicted...and those who smoke to relieve stress are smoking to relieve the stress brought about by having to deal with people like the posters in this thread. You want to ban smoking indoors (restaurants, bars), fine...like I said..but I proposed a viable solution, and just because someone who lives a zillion miles away from me thinks he knows everything there is to know about this issue will not deter me from positing the idea to the county commissioners...which I have already done, and there will be a vote on it next month at their meeting. I don't listen to "so-called" experts...I fight to prove them wrong...and if the vote goes the way it's looking now...there will be a provided community smoking lounge in Salisbury. Whether or not this would ever work in your hometown, in Vancouver, in BC is completely irrelevant to me, so reading rote statutes and laws and ordinances and codes is 100times even more irrelevant to me. Here nor there. I am on an E-Cig, free from the bondage of tobacco, so whatever happens with it really doesn't affect me at all. The best solution would be for the E-Cig manufacturers to make their product a: more affordable, and b: more readily available. If they ever got around to doing that, this entire argument would one day be moot.

In all of the physiology, chemistry and health classes I have taken over the years, two things are clear to me now:

1. Nicotine is an addictive drug.

2. Smoking does not relieve stress. This is a myth. Nicotine is a stimulant.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-71864/Smoking-does-relieve-stress-say-doctors.html#

The idea that smoking relieves stress is a myth, say psychologists.

Rather than help smokers relax, nicotine actually increases anxiety and tension, they claim.

The relaxing effect of smoking is a psychological addiction, warn researchers at the University of East London.

When combined with a chemical addiction to nicotine, levels of stress are heightened, not lowered. Psychologist Andy Parrott, whose findings have been published in the medical journal American Psychologist, explained: 'Regular smokers need nicotine to maintain normal moods as they suffer tension between cigarettes.'

Dr Parrott examined more than 30 international studies into smoking and stress. He said: 'Most smokers mistakenly claim cigarettes are helping to relieve stress.'

The psychologist said regular smoking halts the onset of withdrawal symptoms, creating a psychological link between cigarettes and feeling good.

He called on the Government's anti-smoking campaigns to shatter the myth that cigarettes relieve stress.

Dr Parrott said: 'This could help many people kick the habit.' His comments were backed by anti-smoking pressure group ASH.

Clive Bates, director of ASH, said: 'All that smokers experience is a relief from their addiction. This dependency gradually disappears when they quit.'

Nearly 13 million Britons smoke, despite more than 100,000 deaths each year from lung cancer, heart disease and respiratory illnesses caused by cigarettes.

Guest Gumballthechewy

The post to which I responded broke the most basic rules of informed posting:

1. Engage brain

2. Think about the subject

3. Formulate post

4. Review post

5. Hit "Post" icon

And if all else fails save yourself with the Edit function and avoid the gales of laughter and much mirth directed your way for not following rules 1 through 5. :)

In all of the physiology, chemistry and health classes I have taken over the years, two things are clear to me now:

http://www.dailymail...y-doctors.html#

Rather than help smokers relax, nicotine actually increases anxiety and tension, they claim.

The relaxing effect of smoking is a psychological addiction, warn researchers at the University of East London.

When combined with a chemical addiction to nicotine, levels of stress are heightened, not lowered. Psychologist Andy Parrott, whose findings have been published in the medical journal American Psychologist, explained: 'Regular smokers need nicotine to maintain normal moods as they suffer tension between cigarettes.'

Dr Parrott examined more than 30 international studies into smoking and stress. He said: 'Most smokers mistakenly claim cigarettes are helping to relieve stress.'

The psychologist said regular smoking halts the onset of withdrawal symptoms, creating a psychological link between cigarettes and feeling good.

He called on the Government's anti-smoking campaigns to shatter the myth that cigarettes relieve stress.

Dr Parrott said: 'This could help many people kick the habit.' His comments were backed by anti-smoking pressure group ASH.

Clive Bates, director of ASH, said: 'All that smokers experience is a relief from their addiction. This dependency gradually disappears when they quit.'

Nearly 13 million Britons smoke, despite more than 100,000 deaths each year from lung cancer, heart disease and respiratory illnesses caused by cigarettes.

http://www.dailymail...y-doctors.html#

With all of the warnings put out there, and the common knowledge on what smoking does to you, it's no longer a matter of opinion. Most smokers now a days will tell someone straight up that they think smoking is stupid. But they can't stop, because it's an addiction. I am basically impartial to the whole "Smoking vs. Non-smoking" argument, and I can't stress that enough, but knowing the health risks it's still a silly thing to do. In that instance, all of these people complaining about "ignorant" smokers are stereotyping all smokers to be ignorant, when obviously thats not the case. The same people who will preach that "not all black people are burglars" and "not all teenagers are hoodlums"...hypocracy rules, my friend.

I'm not in the least trying to claim that smoking isn't dangerous. I am a former smoker, so I absolutely know it's dangerous. But "stupid" and "idiocy" in this case is a matter of opinion. It may be the opinion of a vast majority of people, but it's still an opinion.

Archived