The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Smokers..

nux4lyfe

Yes yes, we smokers truly are idiotic sub-human parasites. We have already been ejected from all indoor public areas and now it's gotten to the point where people piss and moan if we are smoking outside. It's quite funny that smoking dope outside is (or almost is) more socially acceptable.

Guess I'll head back to the alleyway with all my heroin addict and hooker buddies and have a cigarette now, thanks.

Just figured I'd post the above lol. seen in a few weeks back

I smoke. But I do my best to make sure I do not blow smoke in others face.. I make sure I move out of MY way to make sure I am not walking by or standing by anyone when I smoke. Don't know who does or does not smoke so I don't take any risk. I started smoking when I was 25(now 27) and I always had people I knew who smoked show some respect when I didn't smoke. So I figure I'd pay it forward now that I do.. although its not your normal pay it forward

Yes yes, we smokers truly are idiotic sub-human parasites. We have already been ejected from all indoor public areas and now it's gotten to the point where people piss and moan if we are smoking outside. It's quite funny that smoking dope outside is (or almost is) more socially acceptable.

Guess I'll head back to the alleyway with all my heroin addict and hooker buddies and have a cigarette now, thanks.

I have a buddy I like to visit and his family was complaining about smoke getting into their house windows when I'm outside smoking. So now I smoke at the end of their driveway/in the street in order to help the situation. To be honest, its a horrible feeling, every single person who walks by stares incessantly, and people always ask me why I am practically standing in the middle of the road. The worst part, its a townhouse complex and everyone else (including my friend's neighbours) just smoke right outside their doors, I see 4-5 smokers doing this in little groups and I am stuck in the middle of the street like an idiot. Nowhere else in the world do I feel so out of place and unwanted as out there smoking.

The part I never understood is that people complain a lot about smoking, but very little about vehicle exhaust. I have always felt that if you are allowed to drive around spewing exhaust everywhere, then you should be allowed to smoke in those same areas. It always puzzles me when people complain about smoking in the streets, on sidewalks, in parking lots, etc, I can understand if it is a park or lake or something where car exhaust is not allowed either. My guess is its greed, they can get something out of driving a car, so its important to them, they don't get anything out of someone else's smoking so it doesn't matter to them, even though it may mean something to someone else.

Car exhaust is a bi-product of something....driving is a form of transportation and does serve a purpose. Smoking does not.

Anyhow, I am one of those who will simply move away...I don't treat smokers as monsters and would be a hypocrite if I did, as a former smoker for years. But I get pretty defensive when it comes to children...we've learned a lot about second hand smoke and they should not be subjected to it at all. So public places are included in that, as kids will be exposed to some degree. Outside is fine, as long as it's away from doors/windows where it will seep inside.

Let me preface this by saying I don't smoke, I never have, nor ever will. It is a disgusting, expensive and dangerous habit.

But there is way too much smoker hatred going on. Not only do they have to deal with the fact that they're going to die prematurely of some horrific disease, but they have to put up with the stigma of being treated like crap wherever they go. (Not saying smoking regulations are bad, but the stigma behind it is.)

Meanwhile, I'm sure many of you drink. I'm sure many of you smoke marijuana. I'm sure many of you eat fast food. I'm sure many of you have casual/promiscuous sex. There is nothing inherently "wrong" with any of those activities, and I don't have a problem with people who do them (if anything it makes them more interesting) but when everyone has their vices, who are you to judge someone else for smoking?

Again, people defending smoking are using arguments of comparison - but we're talking about smoking so it simply is a distraction from that. And I see little reason to defend smoking, as it is a pointless activity. The other things listed, while contributing to hazards like pollution, etc. have purposes. Driving is a form of transportation. Eating hamburgers is at least some form of nourishment. Smoking = ?

Again, I'm not a hater against smokers (truth be told, I find smoking men attractive in some weird way). But I can understand the reasoning behind the demand for smokers to consider those around them by giving some space.

I find it hilarious/sad how smokers try to defend their habit by comparing it to things like car fumes, etc....

No different then gun lobbyists in the US.

It's a bad habit and an addiction.

Just accept that.

You smoke, fine, your choice - but don't try to justify it.

Again, people defending smoking are using arguments of comparison - but we're talking about smoking so it simply is a distraction from that. And I see little reason to defend smoking, as it is a pointless activity. The other things listed, while contributing to hazards like pollution, etc. have purposes. Driving is a form of transportation. Eating hamburgers is at least some form of nourishment. Smoking = ?

Again, I'm not a hater against smokers (truth be told, I find smoking men attractive in some weird way). But I can understand the reasoning behind the demand for smokers to consider those around them by giving some space.

Archived