The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Smokers..

nux4lyfe

I remember 30 years ago sitting on a plane full of smoke nobody minding and going on with their individual conversations. Going to the doctor getting checked out while he smoked his cigarette. Sitting in restraunts full of smoke but everyone still having a good time.

Seems like times have changed. People getting offended when they see traditional words like Christmas. Schools allowing books like "My two Dads" or "Thats not your penis you're holding, it's mine.". Legalizing Marijuana even though it is directly connected to gangs, murders and broken lives. Role models and Hollywood stars or athletes that have multiple marriages in one year, drug and alcohol dependencies and in and out of jail. And the sight of a smoking person makes their panties moist with anger.

The men of today have gotten much more frail, feminen and overly sensitive. Hard to tell nowadays which side they bat for since they dress whatever the magazines tell them and what perfumes are nice to smell. They wear pretty earrings and use hair products that spike, color or make their hair look like pubes. Afraid to fight for their country and need constant intervention.

I guess I can put up with all that stuff and change. It's the way the world is now.

I just hope they don't ban fighting in hockey.

I'm not at all convinced the second hand smoke studies are done out doors. I'd really like to see some stats on the health effects of standing next to someone at a bus stop who is smoking.

I have no problems believing that being in an enclosed space like a car or room with a chain smoker has a good chance to cause health problems, but when you are waiting for the bus on Hastings or another busy street and claim second hand smoke from cigs causes real health problems, my bs detector starts to go off.

I also find it amusing that non-smokers claim ALL smokers are rude and inconsiderate... as if smokers hold the patent on rudeness - "hello, pot? this is the kettle calling".

I remember 30 years ago sitting on a plane full of smoke nobody minding and going on with their individual conversations. Going to the doctor getting checked out while he smoked his cigarette. Sitting in restraunts full of smoke but everyone still having a good time.

Seems like times have changed. People getting offended when they see traditional words like Christmas. Schools allowing books like "My two Dads" or "Thats not your penis you're holding, it's mine.". Legalizing Marijuana even though it is directly connected to gangs, murders and broken lives. Role models and Hollywood stars or athletes that have multiple marriages in one year, drug and alcohol dependencies and in and out of jail. And the sight of a smoking person makes their panties moist with anger.

The men of today have gotten much more frail, feminen and overly sensitive. Hard to tell nowadays which side they bat for since they dress whatever the magazines tell them and what perfumes are nice to smell. They wear pretty earrings and use hair products that spike, color or make their hair look like pubes. Afraid to fight for their country and need constant intervention.

I guess I can put up with all that stuff and change. It's the way the world is now.

I'm not at all convinced the second hand smoke studies are done out doors. I'd really like to see some stats on the health effects of standing next to someone at a bus stop who is smoking.

I have no problems believing that being in an enclosed space like a car or room with a chain smoker has a good chance to cause health problems, but when you are waiting for the bus on Hastings or another busy street and claim second hand smoke from cigs causes real health problems, my bs detector starts to go off.

I also find it amusing that non-smokers claim ALL smokers are rude and inconsiderate... as if smokers hold the patent on rudeness - "hello, pot? this is the kettle calling".

B.C. already has laws in place banning smoking in any indoor public areas, at bus shelters and next to public doorways and windows. The City of Vancouver (and other municipalities) also has a bylaw prohibiting smoking on outdoor restaurant patios.

Outdoor secondhand smoke is now being studied as the health hazards that have led to the banning of smoking indoors in public accessible buildings and workplaces have been generally accepted.

A study of the risks of outdoor smoking by the Department of Environmental Health Science, College of Public Health, University of Georgia in collaboration with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 2009 found reason to be concerned about exposure to secondhand smoke outdoors.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22484462

"Our study suggests that there is reason to be concerned about second-hand smoke levels outdoors," said study co-author Gideon St. Helen, who is pursuing his Ph.D. through the university's Interdisciplinary Toxicology Program, "and our findings are an incentive for us to do further studies to see what the effects of those levels are."

Not a surprising result since the U.S. Surgeon General has concluded that breathing even a little secondhand smoke poses a risk to your health. Scientific evidence indicates that there is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke. Breathing even a little secondhand smoke can be harmful to your health.

http://www.surgeonge...factsheet7.html

This study was one of the reasons that in September 2010 the City of Vancouver prohibited smoking in all 224 City-run parks and including all of their properties within such as playgrounds, beaches, pathways, sports fields, golf courses (pitch n’ putt), trails, the Sea Wall and parking lots (not even while inside your own car on park property).

According to the City of Vancouver, “the new policy is part of the Park Board’s commitment to the promotion of a healthy urban environment and support for active living and wellness.”

http://www.miss604.c...on-beaches.html

And more recently Metro Vancouver has banned smoking in all regional parks as of January 1, 2012.

I always laugh when people compare cigarette smoke to car exhaust. Firstly, they are both regulated and their negative effects are on the decline. Secondly, can you really imagine a world without cars as everything you can see in your life has arrived by car or truck? From the milk in your fridge to the computer you're presently on to the antibiotics you treat your cat with.

I always laugh when people compare cigarette smoke to car exhaust. Firstly, they are both regulated and their negative effect are on the decline. Secondly, can you really imagine a world without cars as everything you can see in your life has arrived by car or truck. From the milk in your fridge to the computer you're presently on to the antibiotics you treat your cat with.

Archived