The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Smokers..

nux4lyfe

Consider these findings from the US Surgeon General:

• Cigarette smoke contains more than 4,000 chemical compounds.

• Secondhand smoke contains many of the same chemicals that are present in the smoke inhaled by smokers.

• Because sidestream smoke is generated at lower temperatures and under different conditions than mainstream smoke, it contains higher concentrations of many of the toxins found in cigarette smoke.

[*]The National Toxicology Program estimates that at least 250 chemicals in secondhand smoke are known to be toxic or carcinogenic.

[*]Secondhand smoke has been designated as a known human carcinogen (cancer-causing agent) by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the National Toxicology Program, and the International Agency for Research on Cancer, and an occupational carcinogen by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health.

• Secondhand smoke contains more than 50 cancer-causing chemicals.

• When nonsmokers are exposed to secondhand smoke, they inhale many of the same cancer-causing chemicals that smokers inhale.

The Surgeon General has concluded that:

• There is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke: even small amounts of secondhand smoke exposure can be harmful to people’s health

As I understand it car exhaust emissions are not any where near as toxic nor as concentrated and not an immediate health hazard to the same degree as second hand smoke.

I for one always make sure to stand downwind whenever I smoke my pipe outdoors. Wind direction is almost everything I find. Distance isn't worth much if the wind is blowin' that smoke back into the crowd. Also, the pipe emits an aromatic sweet melony cloud that is very pleasant and that the chicks especially seem to dig. The good folks at Borkum Riff deserve the credit here. Alternatively, when treating my nasty roomatizz condition with a white widow strain from the medical dispensary, I am a little less cautious, especially around the younger set who seem to enjoy the pungent aroma.

Once you realize that man has evolved into a big baby in our time the rest is just common sense.

I actually had to inform TWO people outside a Superstore that they're smoking within 10' of the door was not aloud. I was all the more annoyed that they seemed to not care that I was standing there with one of my newborn twin sons and our dog. F'ing disgusting.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I for one always make sure to stand downwind whenever I smoke my pipe outdoors. Wind direction is almost everything I find. Distance isn't worth much if the wind is blowin' that smoke back into the crowd. Also, the pipe emits an aromatic sweet melony cloud that is very pleasant and that the chicks especially seem to dig. The good folks at Borkum Riff deserve the credit here. Alternatively, when treating my nasty roomatizz condition with a white widow strain from the medical dispensary, I am a little less cautious, especially around the younger set who seem to enjoy the pungent aroma.

Once you realize that man has evolved into a big baby in our time the rest is just common sense.

I actually had to inform TWO people outside a Superstore that they're smoking within 10' of the door was not aloud. I was all the more annoyed that they seemed to not care that I was standing there with one of my newborn twin sons and our dog. F'ing disgusting.

Which was pretty much the exact same situation for me to begin with, but as you can tell, these d-bags will make every and any excuse to justify their inconsideration...does anyone even enforce these rules? You're quicker to get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt...I have yet to see anyone smoking illegally get a ticket...it's like a bs rule.

Which was pretty much the exact same situation for me to begin with, but as you can tell, these d-bags will make every and any excuse to justify their inconsideration...does anyone even enforce these rules? You're quicker to get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt...I have yet to see anyone smoking illegally get a ticket...it's like a bs rule.

• 2 weeks later...

The BC government is being pushed for a broader smoking ban to cover more outdoor areas.

The Canadian Cancer Society is calling on the B.C. government to ban smoking on all outdoor patios of bars and restaurants as well as in all parks and playgrounds across the province.

Smoking on eatery and bar patios has already been banned in many municipalities in B.C. as well as in all of Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador, Alberta and Yukon.

And an economic argument against it doesn't wash, says Kathryn Seely, with the B.C. branch of the society.

“It's been established by numerous studies and as well the four provinces that have prohibited smoking on patios, and the 30 B.C. municipalities that have also done so, that prohibiting smoking on patios does not harm business. There is no economic loss argument,” Seely told CBC News.

The society’s call for the ban comes at the start of National Non-Smoking Week in Canada.

Seely said even though B.C. has the lowest smoking rate in Canada, 6,000 British Columbians still die every year from tobacco-linked illnesses, including cancer.

Smoking is already banned in Metro Vancouver parks and it’s also prohibited in Vancouver playgrounds, beaches, parking lots and golf courses.

The Union of B.C. Municipalities passed a resolution last year calling for a similar, sweeping province-wide ban on smoking outdoors and Seely hopes this becomes a provincial election issue.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/01/20/bc-call-for-smoking-ban.html

I love going in for my cancer checkups and having to walk through a cloud of cigarette smoke from people standing DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF the no smoking on hospital grounds sign. You guys are awesome...and I'm sure the people battling say lung cancer really appreciate that.

I am a non-smoker, never have smoked except a couple cigars a year sometimes. But I feel like the anti-smoking, and the bans, and the laws are out of control. I never had a problem with smoking in restaurants or anything like that, it doesn't bother me in the least. If people were allowed to smoke in more places, you wouldn't have them clustered around doors like they do now. I understand why they had to stop people smoking in establishments and indoors in places of business, it's a liability issue. But there's something of the law of unintended consequences going on with all these bans and restrictions. I mean, parks are a place where it seems to me is probably the best place to allow people to smoke. The fresh air, open spaces and all allows it to dissipate. But I guess people disagree.

It seems strange to me that people in vancouver have no problem with people smoking weed all over the place or junkies shooting up in plain view, but people who smoke cigarettes are the devil himself. Maybe smokers should all go smoke together in front of the art gallery.

Not to speak for Wet but I believe what he meant was the actual act of drinking liquor does not affect people around you. He was not referring to the sometimes questionable/dangerous actions of PEOPLE after drinking.

The actual act of smoking causes serious health risks to innocent bystanders. Me sipping a beer does not.

It seemed pretty obvious to me...then again I have a lot less practice at being willfully obtuse.

Not to speak for Wet but I believe what he meant was the actual act of drinking liquor does not affect people around you. He was not referring to the sometimes questionable/dangerous actions of PEOPLE after drinking.

The actual act of smoking causes serious health risks to innocent bystanders. Me sipping a beer does not.

Who said drinking and driving only affects the driver....? Neither Wet or myself ever mentioned drivers. Drunk or otherwise.

Of course the statement is predicated by their being other people around.... :blink:

Again, try not being so willfully obtuse and maybe it will come a little easier.

Archived