The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Smokers..

nux4lyfe

It is your opinion that cigarette smoke is disgusting, it is your opinion that it stinks, and not everyone who is exposed to cigarettes gets cancer.

I dont have a problem with smoking outside as opposed to indoors, I can understand that a smoke filled room can make people very uncomfortable. What I do have a problem with is the good, high and mighty, holier than thou non-smokers telling us where and when we can smoke outside.

Smokers have already been kicked out of anywhere indoors and comfortable and now we are getting pushed farther and farther away outdoors. As far as I'm concerned, smokers pay more taxes than anyone else so we have as much right to smoke anywhere outside as we want. If a non-smoker doesn't like it, then dont get near it. The outdoors is a big enough place for everybody.

A-freaking-men brother. In my county, one of my friends just got a $75 fine for smoking on the sidewalk...right in front of his house...this BS is getting ridiculous The outdoor air isn't owned by any particular group of people...so if people decide to smoke outdoors..get the hell over it. Right on.

Guest Gumballthechewy

It is your opinion that cigarette smoke is disgusting, it is your opinion that it stinks, and not everyone who is exposed to cigarettes gets cancer.

I dont have a problem with smoking outside as opposed to indoors, I can understand that a smoke filled room can make people very uncomfortable. What I do have a problem with is the good, high and mighty, holier than thou non-smokers telling us where and when we can smoke outside.

Smokers have already been kicked out of anywhere indoors and comfortable and now we are getting pushed farther and farther away outdoors. As far as I'm concerned, smokers pay more taxes than anyone else so we have as much right to smoke anywhere outside as we want. If a non-smoker doesn't like it, then dont get near it. The outdoors is a big enough place for everybody.

The county Sheriff's Department issued the ticket...City of Salisbury, nitpicked with him...told him that even though smoking on his own property was fine, the sidewalk is city property and they fined him (and would have fined me...but after discovering my cigarette was electronic decided not to bark up that tree) $75 because we were standing on the sidewalk and he was smoking a cigarette. Can't these dumb fuzz balls go hunt down a meth lab or a crack dealer instead of senselessly being draconic about a ****ing cigarette? This is what we pay the police for with our taxes? Really?

It was right in front of his property on the sidewalk and it's the cops being dicks is what it is...it's profiling, man...just because of our laid back attitude and because of the way we dress and stuff..harassment, if you want to get technical...and it's because of crap like this that I started with the e-cig to begin with...but Javus is unemployed and hasn't got the bread to invest in an e-cig..so he smokes real cigarettes...and like I said...the house sits on his own property...and we were...maybe a few feet over the edge of the sidewalk...nobody else around...and deputy donut decides to be a dick and Javus now owes $75 for a bogus fine.

Smoking is dumb on many levels but you are free to do it if you choose. But you are also free to choose not to smoke and when someone lights up beside you, they have to taken away your freedom to not smoke.

If you want to equate smoking with drinking a beer, you would have to share your beer with everyone around you (whether they wanted to imbibe or not) while you drank it and also splash some on everyone's clothes around you. Starting to make sense?

The county Sheriff's Department issued the ticket...City of Salisbury, nitpicked with him...told him that even though smoking on his own property was fine, the sidewalk is city property and they fined him (and would have fined me...but after discovering my cigarette was electronic decided not to bark up that tree) $75 because we were standing on the sidewalk and he was smoking a cigarette. Can't these dumb fuzz balls go hunt down a meth lab or a crack dealer instead of senselessly being draconic about a ****ing cigarette? This is what we pay the police for with our taxes? Really?

I got a B in Law and Justice in high school and to be honest with you that's the last time I've taken any opportunity to learn anything about the law except for what is written in the Constitution. I have no idea where to even begin looking for a cite for the ordinance.

As much as I disagree with smoking and as much as I loathe those who think it's acceptable to do it in public areas, there comes a time where opinions will not be changed. Munchie is free to believe that smoking is acceptable, as contrary to logic as it might seem. Likewise he is also free to question what was clearly a revenue grab from his local police detachment.

That being said, happy new years all!

As much as I disagree with smoking and as much as I loathe those who think it's acceptable to do it in public areas, there comes a time where opinions will not be changed. Munchie is free to believe that smoking is acceptable, as contrary to logic as it might seem. Likewise he is also free to question what was clearly a revenue grab from his local police detachment.

That being said, happy new years all!

I quit smoking 4 1/2 years ago after doing it for 28 years. I feel better... smell better (mildly :lol: )... and have more dough to blow.

That said, to each their own, as long as you obey the law. I actually enjoy the smell of cigarette smoke wafting through the air, especially an American smoke.

I also understand that said smoke is full of carcinogenic chemicals that will affect my physical health if I am exposed to them for extended periods of time. So I get why smoking in enclosed public places has been banned. What I don't understand is why people are so supersensitive that they have to whinge and moan when exposed to minute amounts of smoke while they wait for a bus on a street filled with exhaust and industrial pollution. If you don't like the smoke, move away or ask the smoker to politely butt out. They may or may not respond favourably, but at least you have done your part to be a kind, respectful person.

You are not going to get sick from a wee bit of exposure to minute levels of cigarette smoke. Smoke may be an annoyance, but, so is stepping in a steaming pile of dog sh!t that your neighbor's pooch laid on your front lawn... Or standing next to an oniony, greasy, swassy person in line at Starbuck's.

Secondhand Smoke: A Little is Dangerous

Are patrons at risk, along with restaurant and bar employees? It is sometimes argued that while long term exposure to secondhand smoke boosts the risk of cancer, short term exposure in a restaurant or a bar does no real damage. This is false. Breathing secondhand smoke for just twenty minutes has substantial, adverse effects on the heart, blood, and blood vessels.

5 minutes exposure = smoking a cigarette...

Five minutes exposure to secondhand smoke stiffens the aorta (the main artery carrying blood from the heart to the body) as much as smoking a cigarette. More arterial stiffness makes the heart work harder to pump blood.

20 minutes exposure = smoker’s blood platelets...

Twenty minutes of breathing secondhand smoke at levels similar to those measured in bars activates blood platelets involved in the clotting process as much as it does in pack-a-day smokers.

These activated platelets increase the chances of getting a heart attack or stroke. They also can damage the artery lining in a way that leads to cholesterol buildup, narrowing the arteries, in turn causing coronary heart disease, chest pain, and heart at tacks. In the short term, activated platelets are more likely to form a blood clot (thrombus) in the blood stream. If this clot blocks an artery in the heart, it causes a heart attack. In the brain, it causes a stroke.

30 minutes exposure = smoker’s arteries... Thirty minutes of secondhand smoke compromises a non-smoker’s coronary arteries to the same extent as in smokers. Blood vessels (coronary arteries) that supply the heart are exquisitely sensitive to secondhand smoke toxins, as the chart below shows. Other studies show similar effects on non-coronary arteries.

And lingering cholesterol effects...

Thirty minutes of breathing secondhand smoke compromises the ability of your blood to manage LDL ("bad") cholesterol by depressing anti-oxidant defenses — and the effect persists for several hours after exposure ends. Th ese changes boost the risk of building up the arterial fat deposits that lead to heart attacks and strokes.

120 minutes = greater risk of irregular heartbeat...

Breathing secondhand smoke also can speed up your heart rate while, at the same time, reducing "heart rate variability" — small, random variations in heartbeat. While the mechanism is not yet fully understood, reductions in heart rate variability signal problems in the nervous system’s control of the heart, increasing the chance of an irregular heart beat (arrhythmia) that can itself be fatal or trigger a heart attack.

Summary of brief exposure risks...

All of these effects not only increase the long term risks of developing heart disease, but also increase the immediate risk of heart attack. And if someone suffers a heart attack while breathing secondhand smoke, it will likely be worse.

Secondhand smoke also causes wheezing, asthma attacks and other respiratory symptoms, and burning eyes, nose and throat. These effects, if caused by any industrial pollutant, would warrant strong corrective action.

This was published by the University of Hawaii, with information provided by The Coalition for a Tobacco Free Hawaii (comprised of a variety of people, including members of the Heart & Stroke Ass'n.)

Again, I will move away from someone who's smoking because I do suffer an adverse affect from second hand smoke and it is generally an immediate reaction. But smokers with a conscience should realize that people around them likely don't want to breathe in their second hand smoke...it's a no brainer and to have a stand off is rather selfish and unnecessary. Have we become such a narcissistic society that we can't exercise a little courtesy and politeness? Because that's what it boils down to - you want to smoke and I don't want to breathe in smoke. If there weren't health risks associated with smoking, I'd agree more with the "move away" stance but there are and, so with that the responsibility lies with the smoker who's made the choice to assume the risks associated with smoking to not inflict that upon others. Again - the hairspray scenario. You would likely find it rude and comment if I sat at a bus stop beside you applying hairspray that was hitting you in the face. So why a double standard?

It's just a jerk mentality to subject others to something based solely on "because you want to do it"....if it bothers others, make an effort to compromise. We'd have a better world if people could look beyond themselves to do that. I'm sure this will bring the argument "exactly, so non smokers need to do this" but we can't simply infuse clean air into our open space....smokers can, however, usually find a way to isolate themselves away from others when enjoying a smoke. A little effort, that's all. With that, if someone is already seated on a bench having a smoke, I don't feel I can go sit beside them and demand they move....the courtesy has to extend both ways and I will find a spot away from them because they were there first.

This was published by the University of Hawaii, with information provided by The Coalition for a Tobacco Free Hawaiʻi (comprised of a variety of people, including members of the Heart & Stroke Ass'n.)

Again, I will move away from someone who's smoking because I do suffer an adverse affect from second hand smoke and it is generally an immediate reaction. But smokers with a conscience should realize that people around them likely don't want to breathe in their second hand smoke...it's a no brainer and to have a stand off is rather selfish and unnecessary. Have we become such a narcissistic society that we can't exercise a little courtesy and politeness? Because that's what it boils down to - you want to smoke and I don't want to smell smoke. If there weren't health risks associated with smokng, I'd agree more with the "move away" stance but there are and, so with that the responsibility lies with the smoker who's made the choice to assume the risks associated with smoking to not inflict that on other. Again - the hairspray scenario. You would find it rude and likely comment if I sat at a bus stop beside you applying hairspray that was hitting you in the face. So why a double standard? It's just a jerk mentality to subject others to something because you want to do it....if it bothers others, make an effort to compromise. We'd have a better world if people could look beyond themselves to do that. I'm sure this will bring the argument "exactly, so non smokers need to do this" but we can't simply infuse clean air into our open space....smokers can find a way to isolate themselves away from others when enjoying a smoke. A little effort, that's all.

I don't doubt you're accurate in claiming there was a violation against the law of his county. My point was more to the intention behind said law, that being to generate revenue. Perhaps it was a poor choice of words by Munchie to call it 'bogus', but the purpose of his argument as I interpret it, was that the ticket itself was unwarranted.

Smoking is dumb on many levels but you are free to do it if you choose. But you are also free to choose not to smoke and when someone lights up beside you, they have to taken away your freedom to not smoke.

If you want to equate smoking with drinking a beer, you would have to share your beer with everyone around you (whether they wanted to imbibe or not) while you drank it and also splash some on everyone's clothes around you. Starting to make sense?

Archived