The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Smokers..

nux4lyfe

...For You smokers, Next time could you please not come and stand right beside me and blow smoke in my face to the point where I have to move?, I don't even care if it's a few feet away from me, if the winds blowing in my direction, you better believe it's hitting my face and it's such a piss off! why the F should I have to move because of your stupid habbit? ... just next time, be more considerate of others..and before you start an arguement about pollution and what not, take it from an asthmatic, nothing it worse.

Thanks,

/End Rant

Isnt there a law where you must be ____ metres away from certain areas, so it may be your legal right to have him move.

But yeah... It's really disgusting, but you do see some really nice people, one guy was in the massive lineup for the Canucks preseason game, it was raining and such but he'd move out far from the line to smoke, but he did get stopped at the gate for a water bottle with something yellow in it. :P

Are transit shelters smoke-free?

Substantially enclosed transit shelters are smoke-free, but bus stops (without a sheltered area) are not smoke-free.

Where does the “buffer zone” apply?

The 3 metre buffer zone applies to most public places and work places, such as shopping malls, libraries, and office buildings. The area around most doorways, open windows, and all air intakes cannot be used as an area to smoke. This protects against smoke entering the building, and protects people as they enter or exit the building.

The buffer zone does not apply to hospitality sector patios where smoking can occur, provided that the door between the patio and building remains closed except when entering or exiting the patio; and provided the windows and air intakes between the patio and building remain closed at all times.

As far as I'm concerned it's indefensible for anyone born in the last 40 years to smoke. With all we know about the human body, and what damages it, combined with what we know about what is in cigarettes it is completely unjustifiable as to why anyone would willingly want to smoke.

I agree with the rest of you, keep that sh*t away from me, join the homeless and back alley hookers you seem to identify down with.

Yes yes, we smokers truly are idiotic sub-human parasites. We have already been ejected from all indoor public areas and now it's gotten to the point where people piss and moan if we are smoking outside. It's quite funny that smoking dope outside is (or almost is) more socially acceptable.

Guess I'll head back to the alleyway with all my heroin addict and hooker buddies and have a cigarette now, thanks.

Yes yes, we smokers truly are idiotic sub-human parasites. We have already been ejected from all indoor public areas and now it's gotten to the point where people piss and moan if we are smoking outside. It's quite funny that smoking dope outside is (or almost is) more socially acceptable.

Guess I'll head back to the alleyway with all my heroin addict and hooker buddies and have a cigarette now, thanks.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...butts-nest.html

Cigarette butts help birds keep nests free of pests

Nicotine in discarded filters repels pests, Mexican study finds

Birds in cities are insulating their nests with cigarette butts, a practice that might help smoke out parasitic mites thanks to the nicotine found inside the discarded material, researchers in Mexico have found.

Scientists at the National Autonomous University of Mexico in Mexico City examined the nests of two bird species common in North America. They measured the amount of cellulose acetate, a component of the paper filters at the end of cigarettes, found in the nests and discovered the more there was, the fewer parasitic mites were present.

si-cigarette-rtr2kwt7.jpgNicotine is a natural defence used by the tobacco plant to ward off plant-eating insects. (Daniel Munoz/Reuters)

Monserrat Suarez-Rodriguez, the lead author of the study published in Biology Letters, says city birds may just be adapting a behaviour that is common in the wild to an urban environment. Birds in the wild are known to line their nests with vegetation that keeps parasites away.

Suarez-Rodriguez and her colleagues went even further in their research and investigated whether there was a difference between material from smoked versus unsmoked cigarettes.

Nicotine an effective pesticide

The team put traps in the nests of 27 house sparrows and 28 house finches on their university campus. The traps were outfitted with fibres and filters from smoked or unsmoked cigarettes and emanated heat to attract parasites.

They found that the traps with butts from unsmoked cigarettes had many more parasites than the devices with butts from smoked cigarettes – which contain more nicotine. The nests with unsmoked butts caught more than twice as many parasites, on average.

"It appears that … mites are repelled by nicotine, perhaps in conjunction with other substances," the study authors concluded.

Nicotine is a natural defence used by the tobacco plant to ward off plant-eating insects and has been used to protect crops from pests as well as to control parasites in poultry.

But the scientists admitted that in the case of the birds, the pest-repelling effect could just be an added benefit of using cigarette butts to line their nests. The discarded butts provide good insulation regardless.

The researchers said they'd like to expand their study to see whether birds are intentionally choosing filters from smoked cigarettes.

"Birds could distinguish smoked and non-smoked butts from their scent, just as some birds that use the chemical compounds of plants as defence against parasites appear to rely on [smell] to collect those with effective chemicals," they wrote.

It is about being courteous in public. Just ask if the people around you mind if you light up.

Just remember, people who do not smoke or are generally not around it are more sensitive to the smell of smoking. I know for me it aggravates my asthma, so I will tend to avoid groups of smokers.

Whenever someone deflects from the issue at hand by comparing it to another, it's weak.

No one's asking you to head to the alley way (yes we are), we're asking you to be considerate of those around you who don't want to fill their lungs with crud. "Outside" is large enough that you should be able to find a spot away from others in which to light up. That's all that's being suggested here.

It's not that people who complain are pissy moaners - they have a right to protect their health, even if you don't appear to care about yours. I was a smoker for years and quit because it was causing issues for me...so why should I have to inhale smoke from others? (I shouldn't).

I have no problem with smokers...my Mom went to her grave with a cigarette in her hand. I just think it's a matter of courtesy and common sense to smoke where it isn't affecting others.

Just figured I'd post the above lol. seen in a few weeks back

I smoke. But I do my best to make sure I do not blow smoke in others face.. I make sure I move out of MY way to make sure I am not walking by or standing by anyone when I smoke. Don't know who does or does not smoke so I don't take any risk. I started smoking when I was 25(now 27) and I always had people I knew who smoked show some respect when I didn't smoke. So I figure I'd pay it forward now that I do.. although its not your normal pay it forward

Archived