501 replies to this topic

#361 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Smoking-induced coolness doesn't last very long...

Posted Image

What the hell man!

Did we come over to your house and crap in your fondu salad?

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 05 January 2013 - 02:12 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#362 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

pretty much, they're just too naive or addicted to admit it.

Your overt ignorance as it relates to how smokers think is astounding. Have you ever been a smoker? Have you ever felt what it's like to come home after a long day at work and get an incredible, glorious head rush that makes you feel better...if only for a little while? If you haven't, as I said earlier...you have no frame of reference on how smokers think.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#363 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

And the stars came out to shill for cigarettes:

Posted Image

And several decades later:

Posted Image
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#364 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Your overt ignorance as it relates to how smokers think is astounding. Have you ever been a smoker? Have you ever felt what it's like to come home after a long day at work and get an incredible, glorious head rush that makes you feel better...if only for a little while? If you haven't, as I said earlier...you have no frame of reference on how smokers think.

Addiction at its finest...

#365 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Addiction, stress relief call it whatever the hell you want...as you failed to answer the question I'm going to assume (like you've been doing the entire thread) that you have not ever been a smoker, and therefore have no idea what it's like to suffer from an addiction. If you have no experience to fall back on making statements about smokers and are just one of these people who feel it's prudent to tell everyone else what to do with their lives, I feel incredibly sorry for you. Mind your own business.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#366 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Did you not smoke during work? A cigarette isn't a reward at the end of the day for a smoker, it's ongoing maintenance throughout the day.

Only head rushes I felt as a smoker were from the first cigarette after yet another failed attempt to quit.

"It is the Parliament that’s supposed to run the country, not just the largest party and the single leader of that party. I guess that’s a criticism that I've had and that we've had and that most Canadians have had for a long, long time.”

- Steven Harper, circa 2004

#367 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Did you not smoke during work? A cigarette isn't a reward at the end of the day for a smoker, it's ongoing maintenance throughout the day.

Only head rushes I felt as a smoker were from the first cigarette after yet another failed attempt to quit.

Nah bro I usually didn't smoke cigs at work...Looking back I probably should have...might have been a lot easier to deal with customers.
Posted Image

#368 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,080 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

Doesn't necessarily indicate addiction.
As I previously mentioned, I don't smoke cigarettes, but enjoy the occasional cigar. Yesterday was the first time in probably about a month since I smoked any tobacco, but I still got a great amount of satisfaction from the headrush and relaxed state it induced. It was nice, but I wouldn't be surprised if I go another few weeks until I smoke again, and I'm sure I will enjoy it then too.

Edited by Jägermeister, 05 January 2013 - 02:28 PM.

Posted Image

#369 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

Nah bro I usually didn't smoke cigs at work...Looking back I probably should have...might have been a lot easier to deal with customers.

A smoker who chooses not to smoke for a part of a day? Doesn't sound like addiction, sounds like teenage rebellion.

"It is the Parliament that’s supposed to run the country, not just the largest party and the single leader of that party. I guess that’s a criticism that I've had and that we've had and that most Canadians have had for a long, long time.”

#370 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

A smoker who chooses not to smoke for a part of a day? Doesn't sound like addiction, sounds like teenage rebellion.

I was the youngest person at my job...and honestly I didn't smoke during the day because I didn't want to deal with the smell in my work clothes all day...well..not only me not dealing with the smell...but I really didn't want to piss off my co-workers or my boss. When you work around food that's not a great smell to have on your clothes.
Posted Image

#371 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

I was the youngest person at my job...and honestly I didn't smoke during the day because I didn't want to deal with the smell in my work clothes all day...well..not only me not dealing with the smell...but I really didn't want to piss off my co-workers or my boss. When you work around food that's not a great smell to have on your clothes.

I've never met a smoker who minds their smokey smell. From my experience flipping burgers at McDonald's at 15, I went for smokes every break I could.

Now I sound like I'm questioning your smoking status. :lol:

#372 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

Addiction, stress relief call it whatever the hell you want...as you failed to answer the question I'm going to assume (like you've been doing the entire thread) that you have not ever been a smoker, and therefore have no idea what it's like to suffer from an addiction. If you have no experience to fall back on making statements about smokers and are just one of these people who feel it's prudent to tell everyone else what to do with their lives, I feel incredibly sorry for you. Mind your own business.

Tried it, smoked for a while, and quit. Realized pretty fast how stupid and pointless it was. Watching smokers huddle outside in the pissing rain just to get their "fix" was reason enough to stop. Then there was the total waste on money that went along with it.

You feel sorry for me? Don't bother. I'd never put any effort into doing the same for you.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 05 January 2013 - 02:49 PM.

#373 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,116 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Tried it, smoked for a while, and quit. Realized pretty fast how stupid and pointless it was. Watching smokers huddle outside in the pissing rain just to get their "fix" was reason enough to stop. Then there was the total waste on money that went along with it.

You feel sorry for me? Don't bother. I'd never put any effort into doing the same for you.

I used to work with a smoker who smoked a pack and a half a day and he used to always rant about how he was broke.....funny..

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#374 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

I used to work with a smoker who smoked a pack and a half a day and he used to always rant about how he was broke.....funny..

There's a young kid where I work that will pay up to a buck for a cigarette when he runs out but can never seem to afford to eat. It's hilarious watching him basically beg to buy a cigarette. I guess he must be extremely stressed out

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 05 January 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#375 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

I do believe you have a reading and comprehension problem. I said IFF you are one of those people, I feel sorry for you. Selective reading is not an endearing quality.
Posted Image

#376 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,116 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

There's a young kid where I work that will pay up to a buck for a cigarette when he runs out but can never seem to afford to eat. It's hilarious watching him basically beg to buy a cigarette. I guess he must be extremely stressed out

Begging for ciggs prob takes a toll on him, That would get one extremely stressed out, Hope he finds one and relieves his stress.

13zpnd4.jpg

#377 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

I do believe you have a reading and comprehension problem. I said IFF you are one of those people, I feel sorry for you. Selective reading is not an endearing quality.

You stated in your comment that you assumed I had never been a smoker, and therefore had no idea what it was like to suffer from an addiction. I proved your assumption wrong with the information I provided.

Begging for ciggs prob takes a toll on him, That would get one extremely stressed out, Hope he finds one and relieves his stress.

I'm sure it does. But with the cigs at least it suppresses his appetite since he has no more $ for food after buying all the cigs. Priorities after all

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 05 January 2013 - 05:05 PM.

#378 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

I never smoked a day in my life, but suffered from secondhand smoke growing up. My mom smoked like chimney. We begged her for years to stop, but she never quit. She died on my birthday last year from lung and breast cancer. She was only 55. I loved my mom, but it pains me that she will never get to see her beautiful granddaughter grow up.

But let's be honest, smokers are people too. They have a problem, and they really need to quit.

However, it is the arrogance I cannot stand. Just show courtesy to others who do not smoke. There are good reasons why they do not share in your habit. Sorry, I do not want lung cancer. And with asthma, I already have enough problems breathing.

#379 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

I never smoked a day in my life, but suffered from secondhand smoke growing up. My mom smoked like chimney. We begged her for years to stop, but she never quit. She died on my birthday last year from lung and breast cancer. She was only 55. I loved my mom, but it pains me that she will never get to see her beautiful granddaughter grow up.

But let's be honest, smokers are people too. They have a problem, and they really need to quit.

However, it is the arrogance I cannot stand. Just show courtesy to others who do not smoke. There are good reasons why they do not share in your habit. Sorry, I do not want lung cancer. And with asthma, I already have enough problems breathing.

#380 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

I had a similar experience growing up with a chain smoker for a mother (up to 3 packs per day) and like your mother, my mother passed well before her time due to cancer.

And like you I have had respiratory problems - and according to medical evidence was likely due to secondhand smoke exposure.

In fact I had to ban my mother from my house because she refused to not smoke when visiting and I could not visit her home due to the secondhand smoke triggering my allergies and respiratory problems so we did not see much of each other until she was in hospice care.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#381 NuckNuckNucks

NuckNuckNucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

I remember 30 years ago sitting on a plane full of smoke nobody minding and going on with their individual conversations. Going to the doctor getting checked out while he smoked his cigarette. Sitting in restraunts full of smoke but everyone still having a good time.

Seems like times have changed. People getting offended when they see traditional words like Christmas. Schools allowing books like "My two Dads" or "Thats not your penis you're holding, it's mine.". Legalizing Marijuana even though it is directly connected to gangs, murders and broken lives. Role models and Hollywood stars or athletes that have multiple marriages in one year, drug and alcohol dependencies and in and out of jail. And the sight of a smoking person makes their panties moist with anger.

The men of today have gotten much more frail, feminen and overly sensitive. Hard to tell nowadays which side they bat for since they dress whatever the magazines tell them and what perfumes are nice to smell. They wear pretty earrings and use hair products that spike, color or make their hair look like pubes. Afraid to fight for their country and need constant intervention.

I guess I can put up with all that stuff and change. It's the way the world is now.

I just hope they don't ban fighting in hockey.
You have to be a true bandwagoneer if you buy Mike's line about looking for the right deal to trade Luongo.

True fans and hockey diehards know, that is double talk for, "Luongo is a high ticket commodity now or next year, we'll keep him around just in case Schneider turns out to be a lemon and chokes games."

And choke he will.

I know this. I'm never wrong.

#382 Dral

Dral

Puts the Dr in Drunk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:50 AM

I'm not at all convinced the second hand smoke studies are done out doors. I'd really like to see some stats on the health effects of standing next to someone at a bus stop who is smoking.

I have no problems believing that being in an enclosed space like a car or room with a chain smoker has a good chance to cause health problems, but when you are waiting for the bus on Hastings or another busy street and claim second hand smoke from cigs causes real health problems, my bs detector starts to go off.

I also find it amusing that non-smokers claim ALL smokers are rude and inconsiderate... as if smokers hold the patent on rudeness - "hello, pot? this is the kettle calling".

#383 Dral

Dral

Puts the Dr in Drunk

• Members
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:53 AM

I remember 30 years ago sitting on a plane full of smoke nobody minding and going on with their individual conversations. Going to the doctor getting checked out while he smoked his cigarette. Sitting in restraunts full of smoke but everyone still having a good time.

Seems like times have changed. People getting offended when they see traditional words like Christmas. Schools allowing books like "My two Dads" or "Thats not your penis you're holding, it's mine.". Legalizing Marijuana even though it is directly connected to gangs, murders and broken lives. Role models and Hollywood stars or athletes that have multiple marriages in one year, drug and alcohol dependencies and in and out of jail. And the sight of a smoking person makes their panties moist with anger.

The men of today have gotten much more frail, feminen and overly sensitive. Hard to tell nowadays which side they bat for since they dress whatever the magazines tell them and what perfumes are nice to smell. They wear pretty earrings and use hair products that spike, color or make their hair look like pubes. Afraid to fight for their country and need constant intervention.

I guess I can put up with all that stuff and change. It's the way the world is now.

don't take this the wrong way... I'm not homosexual (or even metrosexual :P ) but seriously dude... what the hell is wrong with your pubes ?

#384 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,116 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

I suggest you put on your fav pair of acid washed jeans, smoke your lungs out and hot-box your bathroom with ciggs!, AND get off the internet!, It's so 2013!

13zpnd4.jpg

#385 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:39 AM

I'm afraid it's their world now. We just live in it.

Try to make the best of it fren.

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#386 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:46 AM

SOURCE? EVIDENCE? That's right, you have none...you're talking out your ass. Marijuana is not directly connected to deaths of any kind...you better wake up....and stop spouting these lies. Typical conservative rabble rousing pea-brain.

Marijuana is one of the main reasons why California saw an astonishing 20% drop in youth crimes rates from 2010 to 2011.
The main reason for the good news is that the state decriminalized possession of less than an ounce of pot in January 2011.
After decriminalization, marijuana possession arrests among the under-18s dropped from 14,991 in 2010 to 5,831 in 2011. In other words, pot possession arrests dropped 64% in a single year, according to a new report from the Center on Juvenile & Criminal Justice (CJCJ).
California's pot law decriminalized possession for minors as well as adults - unlike the recent legalizations in Washington and Colorado, which only apply to the over 21s. The California law has won praise from juvenile crime experts, who say that arresting teenagers for marijuana possession often makes them more likely to get in deeper trouble.

And when the numbers roll in from WA and CO after a few months...I'll be posting those results too. Keep drinking your FOX kool-aid.

Not even going to address the "Christmas" crapola. Everyone with a brain knows that holiday is pagan in origin and anyone who has read the Bible knows that if Jesus existed and was born at all, it was in Spring time. Someone now needs to tell the Republicans...as they have neither of these.

Edited by Munchie Marauder, 06 January 2013 - 06:11 AM.

Posted Image

#387 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

I'm not at all convinced the second hand smoke studies are done out doors. I'd really like to see some stats on the health effects of standing next to someone at a bus stop who is smoking.

I have no problems believing that being in an enclosed space like a car or room with a chain smoker has a good chance to cause health problems, but when you are waiting for the bus on Hastings or another busy street and claim second hand smoke from cigs causes real health problems, my bs detector starts to go off.

I also find it amusing that non-smokers claim ALL smokers are rude and inconsiderate... as if smokers hold the patent on rudeness - "hello, pot? this is the kettle calling".

I'll almost guarantee you the studies aren't done outdoors, which would greatly skew the numbers, sensationalize the whole thing..and render the results virtually useless as it relates to second hand smoke outdoors. Excellent point.
Posted Image

#388 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

I'll almost guarantee you the studies aren't done outdoors, which would greatly skew the numbers, sensationalize the whole thing..and render the results virtually useless as it relates to second hand smoke outdoors. Excellent point.

B.C. already has laws in place banning smoking in any indoor public areas, at bus shelters and next to public doorways and windows. The City of Vancouver (and other municipalities) also has a bylaw prohibiting smoking on outdoor restaurant patios.

Outdoor secondhand smoke is now being studied as the health hazards that have led to the banning of smoking indoors in public accessible buildings and workplaces have been generally accepted.

A study of the risks of outdoor smoking by the Department of Environmental Health Science, College of Public Health, University of Georgia in collaboration with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 2009 found reason to be concerned about exposure to secondhand smoke outdoors.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22484462

"Our study suggests that there is reason to be concerned about second-hand smoke levels outdoors," said study co-author Gideon St. Helen, who is pursuing his Ph.D. through the university's Interdisciplinary Toxicology Program, "and our findings are an incentive for us to do further studies to see what the effects of those levels are."

Not a surprising result since the U.S. Surgeon General has concluded that breathing even a little secondhand smoke poses a risk to your health. Scientific evidence indicates that there is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke. Breathing even a little secondhand smoke can be harmful to your health.
http://www.surgeonge...factsheet7.html

This study was one of the reasons that in September 2010 the City of Vancouver prohibited smoking in all 224 City-run parks and including all of their properties within such as playgrounds, beaches, pathways, sports fields, golf courses (pitch n’ putt), trails, the Sea Wall and parking lots (not even while inside your own car on park property).

According to the City of Vancouver, “the new policy is part of the Park Board’s commitment to the promotion of a healthy urban environment and support for active living and wellness.”
http://www.miss604.c...on-beaches.html

And more recently Metro Vancouver has banned smoking in all regional parks as of January 1, 2012.

#389 Dral

Dral

Puts the Dr in Drunk

• Members
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

B.C. already has laws in place banning smoking in any indoor public areas, at bus shelters and next to public doorways and windows. The City of Vancouver (and other municipalities) also has a bylaw prohibiting smoking on outdoor restaurant patios.

Outdoor secondhand smoke is now being studied as the health hazards that have led to the banning of smoking indoors in public accessible buildings and workplaces have been generally accepted.

A study of the risks of outdoor smoking by the Department of Environmental Health Science, College of Public Health, University of Georgia in collaboration with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 2009 found reason to be concerned about exposure to secondhand smoke outdoors.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22484462

"Our study suggests that there is reason to be concerned about second-hand smoke levels outdoors," said study co-author Gideon St. Helen, who is pursuing his Ph.D. through the university's Interdisciplinary Toxicology Program, "and our findings are an incentive for us to do further studies to see what the effects of those levels are."

Not a surprising result since the U.S. Surgeon General has concluded that breathing even a little secondhand smoke poses a risk to your health. Scientific evidence indicates that there is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke. Breathing even a little secondhand smoke can be harmful to your health.
http://www.surgeonge...factsheet7.html

This study was one of the reasons that in September 2010 the City of Vancouver prohibited smoking in all 224 City-run parks and including all of their properties within such as playgrounds, beaches, pathways, sports fields, golf courses (pitch n’ putt), trails, the Sea Wall and parking lots (not even while inside your own car on park property).

According to the City of Vancouver, “the new policy is part of the Park Board’s commitment to the promotion of a healthy urban environment and support for active living and wellness.”
http://www.miss604.c...on-beaches.html

And more recently Metro Vancouver has banned smoking in all regional parks as of January 1, 2012.

So how is it that smoke from cars, trucks and other industry is easily dissipated in the air, yet second hand smoke from 1 cigarette out doors is life threatening?

Again... BS detector is going off.

#390 Fudd

Fudd

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

-

Edited by Fudd, 06 January 2013 - 03:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.