501 replies to this topic

#61 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

It's all about balance....some people get enjoyment out of target shooting, but they don't do it on city sidewalks. Selfish people think their enjoyment trumps the comfort of others.

I realized that smoking was pointless when the enjoyment factor was outweighed by the coughing fits I was having, the fact that I also enjoyed running and that was being negatively impacted and I had to stand out in the cold so others weren't subjected to my second hand smoke.

I get your point, so it's now pointless to beat me over the head with it. :)

I am not trying to beat you over the head Deb , that even though i do not smoke { I used to } , i can understand why others gain enjoyment from it , and just because i have decided to stop , i am not going to tell others that what they are doing is pointless .

I admire your strength of will :) , to give up smoking is really hard , i know it was for me .
"These are the things to keep in mind. These are not just academic exercises. We're not analyzing the media on Mars or in the eighteenth century or something like that. We're dealing with real human beings who are suffering and dying and being tortured and starving because of policies that we are involved in, we as citizens of democratic societies are directly involved in and are responsible for, and what the media are doing is ensuring that we do not act on our responsibilities, and that the interests of power are served, not the needs of the suffering people, and not even the needs of the American people who would be horrified if they realized the blood that's dripping from their hands because of the way they are allowing themselves to be deluded and manipulated by the system."
Noam Chomsky

Jesus didn’t say yes to everyone. I mean Jesus knew that there was a place for everything and it is not necessarily everyone’s place to come to Australia
Tony Abbott......Current Australian PM

#62 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

No one asked anybody to quit smoking, If that's what makes you happy then so be it, but like I stated before, be considerate of others, just because there's a bench so many meters away from a door it doesn't mean it's a designated smoking area..at least ask before you light up...and some smokers complaining about so many of their rights being taken away, funny, to me it seems like smokers feel like they have too many rights...I had to quit a job because of it.

like someone stated before, non-smokers have as much of a right to breathe fresh air as you do to smoke.

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#63 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,822 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

The gym is go to the next to a bar/restaurant and the smokers stand outside the door. Yeah, that's what I want to breathe in first thing as I leave the gym. I get your rant.
Posted Image

#64 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

I wish it were legal to slap a smoker across the face for having a lit cigarette near me, not just for the smoke issue but also for having to always worry about them carelessly getting ashes on, or burning a hole in, my clothes.

It really doesn't help that it seems like every other person smokes in this city.

Go ahead and try. I'll send you a card in the hospital. The poor buggers have to skulk around enough as it is. I saw an old broad berating a guy for smoking at the high tide mark along the ocean. I didn't hear what he said to her, but she sure left in a hurry. LOL
Politeness is the first step to respect!

#65 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

As far as I'm concerned it's indefensible for anyone born in the last 40 years to smoke. With all we know about the human body, and what damages it, combined with what we know about what is in cigarettes it is completely unjustifiable as to why anyone would willingly want to smoke.

I agree with the rest of you, keep that sh*t away from me, join the homeless and back alley hookers you seem to identify down with.

I used to smoke cigarettes man...and I did it for the same reasons I smoke reefer now...because it calmed me down...to a point...not as much as cannabis, but hey...it did more to relieve my stress during some really difficult times...plus I couldn't exactly spark a spliff out in public when I started getting frustrated at people, but I think, the best thing I've ever done in my life is buy an electronic cigarette and ultimately break free of the stranglehold Big Tobacco had me in. This being said...Smoking laws have gone WAY too far, especially here in the US...they won't even allow you to smoke in football stadiums, bars, etc...that goes to ridiculous lengths...I'm sorry.
Posted Image

View PostScott Hartnell, on 11 June 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#66 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

I used to smoke cigarettes man...and I did it for the same reasons I smoke reefer now...because it calmed me down...to a point...not as much as cannabis, but hey...it did more to relieve my stress during some really difficult times...plus I couldn't exactly spark a spliff out in public when I started getting frustrated at people, but I think, the best thing I've ever done in my life is buy an electronic cigarette and ultimately break free of the stranglehold Big Tobacco had me in. This being said...Smoking laws have gone WAY too far, especially here in the US...they won't even allow you to smoke in football stadiums, bars, etc...that goes to ridiculous lengths...I'm sorry.

Ot, but your Cig picture looks exactly like my neighbor. Happiest guy I ever met.:)

#67 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

"The right to smoke ends where the other man's nose begins." to paraphrase Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posted Image

Edited by Wetcoaster, 29 December 2012 - 04:35 PM.

To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#68 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

"The right to smoke ends where the other man's nose begins." to paraphrase Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posted Image

Ok yeah...so it makes all kinds of sense, in let's say a bar...serving patrons copious amounts of alcohol...toxic amounts in some cases..and for people to get completely hammered...yet there's an outcry that results in smoking inside these establishments being prohibited? What...Tommy Teetotaler is concerned about his lungs even though he's destroying his liver at the same time? Give me a break, man. Adult establishments like bars and outdoor places like amphitheaters and stadiums...let these people smoke...I can see not allowing it in restaurants...but cmon.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#69 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

Ot, but your Cig picture looks exactly like my neighbor. Happiest guy I ever met. :)

Dude your neighbor looks like Jerry? Far out! :)
Posted Image

#70 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Ok yeah...so it makes all kinds of sense, in let's say a bar...serving patrons copious amounts of alcohol...toxic amounts in some cases..and for people to get completely hammered...yet there's an outcry that results in smoking inside these establishments being prohibited? What...Tommy Teetotaler is concerned about his lungs even though he's destroying his liver at the same time? Give me a break, man. Adult establishments like bars and outdoor places like amphitheaters and stadiums...let these people smoke...I can see not allowing it in restaurants...but cmon.

Right on brother , acholol fueled violence has been on the rise in melbourne .

I would rather tolerate some secondhand smoke , than put up with the intoxicated pissheads that seem to roam our streets on a more frequent basis.
"These are the things to keep in mind. These are not just academic exercises. We're not analyzing the media on Mars or in the eighteenth century or something like that. We're dealing with real human beings who are suffering and dying and being tortured and starving because of policies that we are involved in, we as citizens of democratic societies are directly involved in and are responsible for, and what the media are doing is ensuring that we do not act on our responsibilities, and that the interests of power are served, not the needs of the suffering people, and not even the needs of the American people who would be horrified if they realized the blood that's dripping from their hands because of the way they are allowing themselves to be deluded and manipulated by the system."
Noam Chomsky

Jesus didn’t say yes to everyone. I mean Jesus knew that there was a place for everything and it is not necessarily everyone’s place to come to Australia

#71 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

Someone else consuming alcohol (even copious amounts) has no tangible effect on MY health. Second hand smoke OTOH...

The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Tobacco Smoke: A Report of the Surgeon General, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

There is No Risk-Free Level of Exposure to Secondhand Smoke

The U.S. Surgeon General has concluded that breathing even a little secondhand smoke poses a risk to your health.
  • Scientific evidence indicates that there is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke. Breathing even a little secondhand smoke can be harmful to your health.
Secondhand smoke causes lung cancer.
  • Secondhand smoke is a known human carcinogen and contains more than 50 chemicals that can cause cancer.
  • Concentrations of many cancer-causing and toxic chemicals are potentially higher in secondhand smoke than in the smoke inhaled by smokers.
Secondhand smoke causes heart disease.
  • Breathing secondhand smoke for even a short time can have immediate adverse effects on the cardiovascular system, interfering with the normal functioning of the heart, blood, and vascular systems in ways that increase the risk of heart attack.
  • Even a short time in a smoky room can cause your blood platelets to become stickier, damage the lining of blood vessels, decrease coronary flow velocity reserves, and reduce heart rate variability.
  • Persons who already have heart disease are at especially high risk of suffering adverse affects from breathing secondhand smoke, and should take special precautions to avoid even brief exposure.
Secondhand smoke causes acute respiratory effects.
  • Secondhand smoke contains many chemicals that can quickly irritate and damage the lining of the airways.
  • Even brief exposure can trigger respiratory symptoms, including cough, phlegm, wheezing, and breathlessness.
  • Brief exposure to secondhand smoke can trigger an asthma attack in children with asthma.
  • Persons who already have asthma or other respiratory conditions are at especially high risk for being affected by secondhand smoke, and should take special precautions to avoid secondhand smoke exposure.
Secondhand smoke can cause sudden infant death syndrome and other health consequences in infants and children.
  • Smoking by women during pregnancy has been known for some time to cause SIDS.
  • Infants who are exposed to secondhand smoke after birth are also at greater risk of SIDS.
  • Children exposed to secondhand smoke are also at an increased risk for acute respiratory infections, ear problems, and more severe asthma. Smoking by parents causes respiratory symptoms and slows lung growth in their children.
Separating smokers from nonsmokers, cleaning the air, and ventilating buildings cannot eliminate secondhand smoke exposure.
  • The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), the preeminent U.S. standard-setting body on ventilation issues, has concluded that ventilation technology cannot be relied on to completely control health risks from secondhand smoke exposure.
  • Conventional air cleaning systems can remove large particles, but not the smaller particles or the gases found in secondhand smoke.
  • Operation of a heating, ventilating, and air conditioning system can distribute secondhand smoke throughout a building.
http://www.surgeonge...factsheet7.html

As they say:

Posted Image

Edited by Wetcoaster, 29 December 2012 - 04:58 PM.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#72 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

Someone else consuming alcohol (even copious amounts) has no tangible effect on MY health. Second hand smoke OTOH...

The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Tobacco Smoke: A Report of the Surgeon General, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

The U.S. Surgeon General has concluded that breathing even a little secondhand smoke poses a risk to your health.

• Scientific evidence indicates that there is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke. Breathing even a little secondhand smoke can be harmful to your health.
  • Secondhand smoke is a known human carcinogen and contains more than 50 chemicals that can cause cancer.
  • Concentrations of many cancer-causing and toxic chemicals are potentially higher in secondhand smoke than in the smoke inhaled by smokers.
  • Breathing secondhand smoke for even a short time can have immediate adverse effects on the cardiovascular system, interfering with the normal functioning of the heart, blood, and vascular systems in ways that increase the risk of heart attack.
  • Even a short time in a smoky room can cause your blood platelets to become stickier, damage the lining of blood vessels, decrease coronary flow velocity reserves, and reduce heart rate variability.
  • Persons who already have heart disease are at especially high risk of suffering adverse affects from breathing secondhand smoke, and should take special precautions to avoid even brief exposure.
  • Secondhand smoke contains many chemicals that can quickly irritate and damage the lining of the airways.
  • Even brief exposure can trigger respiratory symptoms, including cough, phlegm, wheezing, and breathlessness.
  • Brief exposure to secondhand smoke can trigger an asthma attack in children with asthma.
  • Persons who already have asthma or other respiratory conditions are at especially high risk for being affected by secondhand smoke, and should take special precautions to avoid secondhand smoke exposure.
Secondhand smoke can cause sudden infant death syndrome and other health consequences in infants and children.
  • Infants who are exposed to secondhand smoke after birth are also at greater risk of SIDS.
  • Children exposed to secondhand smoke are also at an increased risk for acute respiratory infections, ear problems, and more severe asthma. Smoking by parents causes respiratory symptoms and slows lung growth in their children.
Separating smokers from nonsmokers, cleaning the air, and ventilating buildings cannot eliminate secondhand smoke exposure.
  • The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), the preeminent U.S. standard-setting body on ventilation issues, has concluded that ventilation technology cannot be relied on to completely control health risks from secondhand smoke exposure.
  • Conventional air cleaning systems can remove large particles, but not the smaller particles or the gases found in secondhand smoke.
  • Operation of a heating, ventilating, and air conditioning system can distribute secondhand smoke throughout a building.

As they say:

Posted Image

You've missed my point. IF you are hanging out in a bar...drinking alcohol as I mentioned...and there are others in the same establishment who want to have a cigarette..you should let them have a cigarette. You're both killing yourselves, just using different means. The ban on smoking in bars is just stupid, quite frankly...as is prohibiting it in open-air arenas and amphitheaters.
Posted Image

#73 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

Agree that drunks are much more disgusting than second hand smoke. Rude, belching, farting. I wish it was legal to slap them, especially the scotch drinkers. Nastiest drunks there are. I think all drinkers should be forced to drink with all the rummies in the back alley. Booze breath at the bus stop? Gag.

#74 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

You've missed my point. IF you are hanging out in a bar...drinking alcohol as I mentioned...and there are others in the same establishment who want to have a cigarette..you should let them have a cigarette. You're both killing yourselves, just using different means. The ban on smoking in bars is just stupid, quite frankly...as is prohibiting it in open-air arenas and amphitheaters.

I do not get your point at all.

Drinking alcohol only affects the drinker, not persons around them.

Quite different in effect.

#75 cj_coolcat

cj_coolcat

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

I'm pretty sure the ban on cigarettes in restaurants and bars was to protect the people who work there, not the other patrons. Servers at bars already have to deal with obnoxious drunks, they shouldn't also have to breathe in second-hand smoke on a daily basis.
QUOTE (kanadahockey @ Aug 20 2009, 08:48 AM) ah yes, comparing Natives to stray dogs wasn't critical of the Natives, it was actually critical of the Whites. How very White Man's Burden of you. Pip, pip and all that - let's retire to the library for cucumber sandwiches.

#76 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

As they say:

Posted Image

They might not effect you personaly wet , but thousands of other people are effected

Australia fights alcohol-fueled violenc

By Michael Perry
SYDNEY | Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:39am EST
SYDNEY (Reuters) - Krystle Kelley's scarred face, slashed by an angry drunk woman with a broken glass, is the face of Australia's alcohol-fueled wave of violence.
"My eyeball was cut in half ... right through the back of the retina. I am permanently blind in one eye and have severe scaring," Kelley, 21, told Reuters.
"My whole life has been turned upside down from the age of 21. I can't work because I go to hospital every month to have several operations," she said.
"I spoke to two other people who had been 'glassed' and they suffer the same side effects. When they hear something break they are jumpy ... pretty much put their back against a wall, nightmares, sharp pains where they have actually been cut."
Each weekend, Australian cities like Sydney are littered with unconscious, vomiting and fighting young drunks.
Binge drinking by young Australians has reached frightening levels, say police and hospital staff who struggle to stem the violence and are left to repair the wounds of victims.
"We are becoming a much more violent, aggressive society. We are becoming intolerant of anything that annoys us ... and hence road rage, parking rage, trolley rage at the supermarket," says Dr Gordon Fulde, head of the emergency department at St Vincent's Hospital in Sydney.
"We are assaulting people more viciously. The violence is very, very nasty. Weapons are also involved now and the closest weapon when drinking is a glass or bottle," says Fulde, who treats bloodied victims of drunken fights each weekend.
Australia's most populous state, New South Wales (NSW), which includes the nation's biggest city Sydney, recorded 21,000 incidents of alcohol-related violence in the past year, with the rate of violent incidents rising 7 percent annually.
Irish tourist David Keohane, 29, was almost bashed to death outside a Sydney pub in August and was flown home in a coma, while flowers were tied around a street pole outside a Bondi pub after an Irishman was left fighting for his life after a beating.
"It takes no more than a bump on the dance floor or a bump when people are passing outside the hotel for there to be an all-out war," Judge Paul Condon said in a 2008 case involving a female surf lifesaver who had an epileptic fit and bumped a woman at a club. She was repeatedly kicked and stomped on by the woman.
In NSW there has been a 25 percent rise in "glassings" in the past five years, when a drinker smashes a broken beer or wine glass into someone's face, causing major eye and facial injuries.
In 2003/04 there were 830 glassings in NSW, in 2007/08 there were 1,027, says the NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research.
"This increase in assaults involving glasses just seems to have come out of nowhere," says Don Weatherburn, director of the bureau. "Nobody really knows the explanation for the increase."
Reports of glassings by both men and women drinkers is widespread, from Sydney, to the tropical northern city of Darwin, to Perth on the west coast. Several young women with permanent scars across their faces from glassings have appeared on TV news in recent months pleading for young Aussies to stop the violence.
BINGE DRINKING LIFESTYLE
Australia has always had a reputation as a hard drinking nation but there is now a culture of binge drinking amongst young people seeking instant gratification, says Fulde.
"We have always drunk a lot. But the young people want it now. They haven't got time or the inclination to spend a couple of hours getting slightly inebriated. It's also cheaper," he says.
Binge drinking is also widespread among high profile Australian footballers, the role models for young males who are most likely to be involved in alcohol-related violence, says a study by the Burnet Institute at Melbourne University.
The study of Australian Football League players found they led a roller-coaster life of extreme binge drinking alternated with bursts of abstinence.
It found 88 percent indulged in high-risk drinking, more than 11 drinks in a day, at least once a month and more than half were endangering their long-term health by consuming large amounts of alcohol during end-of-season celebrationsPosted Image. A quarter of players were involved in fights due to alcohol.
Fulde says young Australians seemed to be more angry, less tolerant and desensitized to violence.
"We all seem to have a shorter fuse. We are more stressed, bigger populations, bigger expectations. What confronts young people on TV and in the media is violence. Violence is the norm." Criminologists say the alcohol-fueled violence will rise come summer when young Aussies party more in the outdoors.
This Australian summer, an extra 150 police will patrol the nightclub beat on Friday and Saturday nights in Australia's second largest city Melbourne to try and stem violence.
The "glassing" phenomenon is not limited to Australia.
"Stabbings in London have massively increased and glassings have also increased in England and that is our cultural parent," Fulde says. "Violence is now just an accepted way of communication, like it has been in America for a long while."
WORSE THAN LOS ANGELES
NSW police say Sydney's alcohol-fueled violence is already worse than Los Angeles due to Australia's 24-hour liquor licenses. There are more than 600 24-hour licensed premises in Australia, with more than 400 in NSW.
"This drink to get drunk culture must stop. LA doesn't have the problems we do. They close the doors at 2 a.m. It's time to give the neighborhood back and take the hoods out," says NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione, a teetotaler.
Scipione is fed up with seeing his officers assaulted and backs a government move to cut back on licensing hours.
Australia's national government has raised taxes on "alcopops," premixed alcohol drinks which are so sweet you can't taste the alcohol, to try and curb young binge drinking.
The NSW state government has announced no more 24-hour liquor licenses will be issued and Sydney's local government is promoting small European-style wine bars to change drinking habits away from the barn-style pubs.
The NSW government has also identified 50 pubs and clubs for tough new liquor rules. From December 1, these pubs and clubs will be forced to lock out patrons after 2 a.m., serve drinks in plastic glasses after midnight, restrict drinks bought after midnight, and close alcohol service 30 minutes before closing.
But glassing victim Kelley does not believe the tougher drinking laws will end the violence.
"There are no consequences and they are wrecking people's lives. I want a permanent statutory law against anyone that uses a glass as a weapon that carries a jail penalty," she says

There is no way there has been 21,000 people have been effected by second hand smoke in the state of new south wales .

Edited by The Ratiocinator, 29 December 2012 - 05:21 PM.

Noam Chomsky

#77 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

Oh and that's where you're wrong...you wanna tell me that someone drinking alcohol doesn't affect the persons around them? How many fatalities are reported as the result of somebody getting ****faced at a bar, getting behind the wheel and killing innocent people? Doesn't affect anyone but the drinker? What? How many fatalities have been reported as a direct effect from secondhand smoke? Unbelievable your logic here.

Edited by Munchie Marauder, 29 December 2012 - 05:16 PM.

Posted Image

#78 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

Say what? I can't believe you just said that. Been drinkin? :picard:

#79 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

I'm pretty sure the ban on cigarettes in restaurants and bars was to protect the people who work there, not the other patrons. Servers at bars already have to deal with obnoxious drunks, they shouldn't also have to breathe in second-hand smoke on a daily basis.

I can understand not allowing it in restaurants...I really can...around food, and kids, and families...but a bar is an adult establishment...and people should god damned well be able to have a cigarette if they need one.
Posted Image

#80 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,912 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

All of you have your complainy pants on today.

I am not trying to beat you over the head Deb , that even though i do not smoke { I used to } , i can understand why others gain enjoyment from it , and just because i have decided to stop , i am not going to tell others that what they are doing is pointless .

I admire your strength of will :) , to give up smoking is really hard , i know it was for me .

Right on.

Exactly this.

Edited by Armada, 29 December 2012 - 05:19 PM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#81 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

Agree that drunks are much more disgusting than second hand smoke. Rude, belching, farting. I wish it was legal to slap them, especially the scotch drinkers. Nastiest drunks there are. I think all drinkers should be forced to drink with all the rummies in the back alley. Booze breath at the bus stop? Gag.

Consuming alcohol in all public places (other than licensed premises or with a special permit) is forbidden in BC - so not the same as smoking.

#82 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

Say what? I can't believe you just said that. Been drinkin? :picard:

Nope. Seems pretty clear as to the difference between alcohol consumption and smoking cigarettes.

#83 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

Oh and that's where you're wrong...you wanna tell me that someone drinking alcohol doesn't affect the persons around them? How many fatalities are reported as the result of somebody getting ****faced at a bar, getting behind the wheel and killing innocent people? Doesn't affect anyone but the drinker? What? How many fatalities have been reported as a direct effect from secondhand smoke? Unbelievable your logic here.

The act of smoking itself is the harm to others.

The same is not true of the act of drinking alcohol.

#84 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

I can understand not allowing it in restaurants...I really can...around food, and kids, and families...but a bar is an adult establishment...and people should god damned well be able to have a cigarette if they need one.

And they are free to do so as long as they do inflict second smoke on others who do not wish to inhale the toxic second hand smoke.

#85 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

I never said word one about consuming alcohol in public places. I said drunks.So your magically undrunk when you leave the bar or drinking establishment, and therefore does not affect anybody? Again, bin drinkin?

#86 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

The act of smoking itself is the harm to others.

The same is not true of the act of drinking alcohol.

I asked you a question...how many deaths have been reported, directly caused by secondhand smoke vs the deaths caused by the consumption of alcohol and drinking and driving? I'd much rather put up with secondhand smoke than some drunk dick getting behind the wheel of a car and killing somebody...this isn't even in the same LEAGUE as far as consequences.
Posted Image

#87 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

And they are free to do so as long as they do inflict second smoke on others who do not wish to inhale the toxic second hand smoke.

Meh. People need to get over it...seriously...smoking cigarettes is legal...and cigs can be sold to people as young as 18. What about the smoker's rights? Are the "others" more important than the smoker? Hell no they're not.
Posted Image

#88 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

I asked you a question...how many deaths have been reported, directly caused by secondhand smoke vs the deaths caused by the consumption of alcohol and drinking and driving? I'd much rather put up with secondhand smoke than some drunk dick getting behind the wheel of a car and killing somebody...this isn't even in the same LEAGUE as far as consequences.

No idea and you are constructing strawman arguments.

If you stand next to me and smoke you have exposed me to a health risk by that simple act.

If I stand next to you and consume an alcoholic beverage it has done you zero harm.

#89 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

Meh. People need to get over it...seriously...smoking cigarettes is legal...and cigs can be sold to people as young as 18. What about the smoker's rights? Are the "others" more important than the smoker? Hell no they're not.

And you are free to smoke just as long as you do not inflict second smoke on others.

#90 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

No idea and you are constructing strawman arguments.

If you stand next to me and smoke you have exposed me to a health risk by that simple act.

If I stand next to you and consume an alcoholic beverage it has done you zero harm.

You know what you can do? Move the hell away from me. Simple as that...you see someone smoking a cigarette...instead of being a douche and complaining about the smoke...don't go around the smoke...I don't see what's so difficult about that...unless you're just lazy and like to complain.

Edited by Munchie Marauder, 29 December 2012 - 05:38 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.