#121 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

POPULAR

Since this message board is pretty much BC centric your rants have little relevance then. And i would suggest that you not considering visiting given your inflated sense of self entitlement.

And there are even more restrictions on smoking within the City of Vancouver. The Vancouver Park Board has a bylaw in effect Since September 2010 that prohibits people from smoking in the city’s parks, beaches, playgrounds, and golf courses. And Vancouver extends the provincial smoke free buffer zone from three to six meters and includes customer service areas such as food carts, outdoor patios etc (“customer service area” means a partially enclosed or unenclosed area, including a balcony, patio, yard or sidewalk, that is part of or connected to or associated with a business or use in a building or premises that includes the service of food or alcoholic drinks to customers or other persons for consumption on site;) :

(e) within six metres measured on the ground from a point directly below any point of any opening into any building including any door or window that opens or any air intake;
(f) in a customer service area; or
(g) within six metres of the perimeter of a customer service area.
http://former.vancou...ylaws/9535c.PDF

Other municipalities also have rules that may be more restrictive than the BC law.

Metro Vancouver (22 municipalities in the Lower Mainland, one electoral area, and one treaty First Nation ) also introduced a smoking ban in 33 regional parks.
http://www.metrovanc...es/default.aspx

That's rather uncalled for. The discussion is not bound by BC, so his rants do have relevance. The thread OP might be from outside BC for all we know.

MM, I'd welcome you with open arms if you decide to visit.

"It is the Parliament that’s supposed to run the country, not just the largest party and the single leader of that party. I guess that’s a criticism that I've had and that we've had and that most Canadians have had for a long, long time.”

- Steven Harper, circa 2004

#122 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

So the people who work in the bars are just SOL when it comes to working in a toxic environment?

You don't think that's a pretty toxic environment already?
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#123 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,309 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

Since this message board is pretty much BC centric your rants have little relevance then. And i would suggest that you not considering visiting given your inflated sense of self entitlement.

And there are even more restrictions on smoking within the City of Vancouver. The Vancouver Park Board has a bylaw in effect Since September 2010 that prohibits people from smoking in the city’s parks, beaches, playgrounds, and golf courses. And Vancouver extends the provincial smoke free buffer zone from three to six meters and includes customer service areas such as food carts, outdoor patios etc (“customer service area” means a partially enclosed or unenclosed area, including a balcony, patio, yard or sidewalk, that is part of or connected to or associated with a business or use in a building or premises that includes the service of food or alcoholic drinks to customers or other persons for consumption on site;) :

(e) within six metres measured on the ground from a point directly below any point of any opening into any building including any door or window that opens or any air intake;
(f) in a customer service area; or
(g) within six metres of the perimeter of a customer service area.
http://former.vancou...ylaws/9535c.PDF

Other municipalities also have rules that may be more restrictive than the BC law.

Metro Vancouver (22 municipalities in the Lower Mainland, one electoral area, and one treaty First Nation ) also introduced a smoking ban in 33 regional parks.
http://www.metrovanc...es/default.aspx

Insults{and taunts} are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong
Jean Jacques Rousseau

Why can't you argue/debate a topic without resorting to deriding others , you are an intelligent person , you should be able to rely on the arguments you put forward .

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#124 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

So the people who work in the bars are just SOL when it comes to working in a toxic environment?

In BC luckily we made the decision that it was contrary to public policy to expose such workers to second hand smoke.

And not just servers. One of my friends has rhythm and blues band and he was considering retiring because he was experiencing serious respiratory problems from second hand smoke. Since the smoking ban in clubs and bars he says it has been like night and day and he can blow his horn like he did as young man.
http://www.raymyersband.com/bio.html
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#125 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

You don't think that's a pretty toxic environment already?

So lets make it more toxic by polluting the air they breathe?
Posted Image

#126 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

POPULAR

Seemed completely called for.

How so? It's a board for fans of a team, not a city. It's populated by people from around the world. The discussion is one of smokers being rude - pretty universal there. What exactly makes you think your statement is called for?

On topic, I think this topic is silly and you should all feel silly. "Smokers" aren't rude people, but some rude people are smokers. Same post could be made for those who don't brush their teeth, drink, wear perfume, etc. Yes, some smokers will stand up wind, and some people don't wash their hands after using the washroom.

...For You drinkers, Next time could you please not come and stand right beside me and breathe in my face to the point where I have to move?, I don't even care if it's a few feet away from me, if the winds blowing in my direction, you better believe it's hitting my face and it's such a piss off! why the F should I have to move because of your stupid habbit? ... just next time, be more considerate of others..and before you start an arguement about pollution and what not, take it from an asthmatic, nothing it worse.

Thanks,
/End Rant

"It is the Parliament that’s supposed to run the country, not just the largest party and the single leader of that party. I guess that’s a criticism that I've had and that we've had and that most Canadians have had for a long, long time.”

#127 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,309 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

How so? It's a board for fans of a team, not a city. It's populated by people from around the world. The discussion is one of smokers being rude - pretty universal there. What exactly makes you think your statement is called for?

On topic, I think this topic is silly and you should all feel silly. "Smokers" aren't rude people, but some rude people are smokers. Same post could be made for those who don't brush their teeth, drink, wear perfume, etc. Yes, some smokers will stand up wind, and some people don't wash their hands after using the washroom.

Two logical , reasonable and totally great posts mate .

Just like every other facet of life , you have your good , your bad and your indifferent .

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#128 Lillooet_Hillbilly

Lillooet_Hillbilly

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

i'd argue too but i'll just go outside and watch the snowfall while having a smoke

#129 SN -Admin

SN -Admin

Keeping it real

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

Current page cleaned. Please try to make your arguments without attacking other posters.

#130 Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

I find that most smokers are courteous to those around them. Yes, there are jerks who don't care about where they blow their smoke, but they'd be jerks even if they didn't smoke. Lighting up a cigarette doesn't suddenly turn someone into rude asshole. That's just who they are.

#131 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

POPULAR

I'm not addicted to smoking. But once in a while, it's nice to just smoke a Belmont after writing a 2 hour final.

Smoking kind of gives that incentive to take 6 minutes out of your day, to leave the crowd of people your with, and give yourself some alone time and relax.

I personally do not understand why smokers are getting all of this hatred. Smoking doesn't define a person. If you judge someone based on smoking, what the heck have your parents taught you?

Some of the nicest people I know smoke.

The only jerks I see commonly that smoke with no regard to anybody are homeless people who are walking down the street, and teenagers who think it's so cool hacking darts.

Edited by MillerGenuineDraft, 29 December 2012 - 07:32 PM.

MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#132 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,374 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

Many places are now considered unsafe in melbourne due to intoxicated people wandering the streets commiting acts of violence , the same cannot be said for the effects of second hand smoke .
What i have been trying to point out is that the negative effects of alcohol consumption touch a greater percentage of people than the negative effects of second hand smoke

With that, there are currently measures in place to address those alcohol related incidents. There are impaired driving charges and other related charges. There are groups like MADD and also 12 step programs, detox centers and rehabilitation - so it's not like it's going unchecked. And now they're doing the same for second hand smoke...recognizing the issues related to it and putting measures in place to address it. I don't really see a problem with that.

It doesn't seem reasonable to overlook one problem because of another.

Posted Image

#133 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,309 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

With that, there are currently measures in place to address those alcohol related incidents. There are impaired driving charges and other related charges. There are groups like MADD and also 12 step programs, detox centers and rehabilitation - so it's not like it's going unchecked. And now they're doing the same for second hand smoke...recognizing the issues related to it and putting measures in place to address it. I don't really see a problem with that.

It doesn't seem reasonable to overlook one problem because of another.

Australia is a nation of pissheads Deb , one of our primeministers , bob hawke used to hold the world record for sculling beer , at oxford while acquiring a rhodes scholarship .
The problems that can be traced back to alcohol far outwiegh the problems that are associated with second hand smoke in australian society.
I believe more should be done to address these , before we even talk about the effects of second hand smoke .

I do not smoke ciggarettes or drink alcohol.

Edited by The Ratiocinator, 29 December 2012 - 08:25 PM.

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#134 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,038 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

That's rather uncalled for. The discussion is not bound by BC, so his rants do have relevance. The thread OP might be from outside BC for all we know.

MM, I'd welcome you with open arms if you decide to visit.

+1

Not just for BC but I'd welcome him to Ontario as well.

Edited by zaibatsu, 29 December 2012 - 08:33 PM.

#135 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

Not everyone who drinks alcohol turns into a violent maniac who drives across town. Time to get some new friends maybe??

Hmmm, I wonder what removed all the inhibitions when the Canucks lost the stanley cup and the fans ran rampant through Vancouver. Could it have been (gasp) alcohol? How many wifes have been beaten by drunken husbands? Drinking is MUCH worse than smoking.
Politeness is the first step to respect!

#136 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

Ya, because people in the morning stand next to you or even a few feet away with a glass of crown with their coffee in the morning blowing their breath in your face right?...smoke away bro, I'll tell your kids how much you loved them.

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#137 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

Ya, because people in the morning stand next to you or even a few feet away with a glass of crown with their coffee in the morning blowing their breath in your face right?...smoke away bro, I'll tell your kids how much you loved them.

At the same time you can tell the kids how dad shows his love when he comes home drunk. Drinking has been the cause of strife through out history. Smoking? Not so much. For your information, it aint the crown in the coffee,it's the two gallons he drank the night before.

#138 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

Whats next? People who don't bathe enough. Might have B.O? Bad breath? Ban them from the bus stops also.

#139 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

At the same time you can tell the kids how dad shows his love when he comes home drunk. Drinking has been the cause of strife through out history. Smoking? Not so much. For your information, it aint the crown in the coffee,it's the two gallons he drank the night before.

Maybe try starting a prohibition thread? Or a petition?? I would be ok with not having a few beers on the weekend if it saved lives.

Not quite sure how this really relates to smoking and it's effects on others. The only problem I have is with people who are not mindful of others or who think they should be able to light up wherever they want. Alot of establishments circulate air and for employees or anyone with asthma who, heaven forbid, wants to enjoy an evening out, it can be a toxic, dangerous environment. That's all I really care about. I enjoy the occasional cigar but I am always mindful of who is around me(even though most people say they like the smell of cigars).

Edited by pimpcurtly, 29 December 2012 - 08:55 PM.

Posted Image

#140 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

That guys life doesn't effect me, the dude that's smoking close to me does, live your life, I'm try'na live mine.

13zpnd4.jpg

#141 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 11,162 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

Whats next? People who don't bathe enough. Might have B.O? Bad breath? Ban them from the bus stops also.

Smoking and 2nd hand smoke is harmful to your health, B.O. and bad breath isn't harmful to the person you are standing next to.

#142 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

That guys life doesn't effect me, the dude that's smoking close to me does, live your life, I'm try'na live mine.

Unless the person is smoking in areas outlined by Wetcoaster earlier in the thread, leave.

#143 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

I'd say the deisel bus that just pulled in to pick you up belched out a hell of a lot more toxic smoke at the bus stop than any twenty smokers would.

#144 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

I'd say the deisel bus that just pulled in to pick you up belched out a hell of a lot more toxic smoke at the bus stop than any twenty smokers would.

Have to say I agree with you, Hank.

(And hell hasn't even frozen over! :P)

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 29 December 2012 - 09:05 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#145 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,309 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

Maybe try starting a prohibition thread? Or a petition?? I would be ok with not having a few beers on the weekend if it saved lives.

Not quite sure how this really relates to smoking and it's effects on others. The only problem I have is with people who are not mindful of others or who think they should be able to light up wherever they want. Alot of establishments circulate air and for employees or anyone with asthma who, heaven forbid, wants to enjoy an evening out, it can be a toxic, dangerous environment. That's all I really care about. I enjoy the occasional cigar but I am always mindful of who is around me(even though most people say they like the smell of cigars).

I wish there were more people in the world like you , who treat others with the same respect they want to be treated with.

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#146 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 11,162 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

Still doesn't give a smoker the right to smoke in front of me while waiting for a bus, or in any other public place for that matter. Not sure why smokers can't accept the fact that they are harming themselves and other people while they smoke around others.

#147 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

I wish there were more people in the world like you , who treat others with the same respect they want to be treated with.

Thanks! I wish more people were respectful too.
Posted Image

#148 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

Have to say I agree with you, Hank.

(And hell hasn't even frozen over! :P)

Ah, my desert fireflower, just seeing your agreement sets my heart aflame. I would give ten thousand camels to bask for a moment in thy beauty that has addled many mens minds.I will cherish this moment for when we find ourselves at odds. Hell mayeth freeze over but nothing will tame flame haired wild child.:)

#149 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

Unless the person is smoking in areas outlined by Wetcoaster earlier in the thread, leave.

you'd be surprised how many people don't follow the rules, i'm not a cop out there enforcing rules..

13zpnd4.jpg

#150 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 11,162 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

you'd be surprised how many people don't follow the rules, i'm not a cop out there enforcing rules..

Reminds me of all the A-Holes that feel they have the right to smoke outside the BC Cancer clinic. Or the ones that sit and smoke right outside the hospital doors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.