The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Smokers..

nux4lyfe

Agree that drunks are much more disgusting than second hand smoke. Rude, belching, farting. I wish it was legal to slap them, especially the scotch drinkers. Nastiest drunks there are. I think all drinkers should be forced to drink with all the rummies in the back alley. Booze breath at the bus stop? Gag.

Oh and that's where you're wrong...you wanna tell me that someone drinking alcohol doesn't affect the persons around them? How many fatalities are reported as the result of somebody getting ****faced at a bar, getting behind the wheel and killing innocent people? Doesn't affect anyone but the drinker? What? How many fatalities have been reported as a direct effect from secondhand smoke? Unbelievable your logic here.

I asked you a question...how many deaths have been reported, directly caused by secondhand smoke vs the deaths caused by the consumption of alcohol and drinking and driving? I'd much rather put up with secondhand smoke than some drunk dick getting behind the wheel of a car and killing somebody...this isn't even in the same LEAGUE as far as consequences.

Let's go with the basic 1st year philosophy course on critical thinking, using the mini-thesis as a basis for support/defense. I've already said I'm of the opinion that smoking is not justified. I will support this opinion by taking the other side demonstrating that there is no basis for someone to want to smoke.

Thesis:

I smoke cigarettes and I am justified in doing so. I enjoy smoking cigarettes as they are relaxing and relieve stress.

Support:

Premise 1. All [relaxing forms of relieving stress] are appropriate in pursuing.

Premise 2. (Smoking cigarettes) is a [relaxing form of relieving stress].

Conclusion: (Smoking cigarettes) is something that is appropriate in pursuing.

Premise 1 counterexample: Slacking off is relaxing, as is beating off

Premise 2 counterexample: Someone who has been addicted for a while can view this as the stress.

Opposition:

Premise 1. All [substances which may cause cancer] is something that should not be pursued

Premise 2. (Smoking cigarettes) is a [substance which may cause cancer]

Conclusion: (Smoking cigarettes) is something that should not be pursued.

More relevant to the thread:

Thesis:

I smoke cigarettes in public areas where people are subject to my exhaust. I do this because I do not want to wait until I am at home.

I would create a support for this, but I honestly cannot make smoking in public justifiable, that’s where you come in CDC. Maybe rephrase it, I don’t know.

The opposition is obvious; the inevitable exhaust which willingly affects those around you is both toxic to their health and unwarranted. You would have to be some sort of sadist to want to damage the health of those around you.

You know what you can do? Move the hell away from me. Simple as that...you see someone smoking a cigarette...instead of being a douche and complaining about the smoke...don't go around the smoke...I don't see what's so difficult about that...unless you're just lazy and like to complain.

If it were me it sure as hell WOULD work that way...especially if I'm smoking my cig and have been smoking it long before you come along...then I'm not only not going to move...I'm gonna tell you three words...and they won't be I love you. Smokers have every right that everyone else has...if you don't like the smoke...don't go around the smoke. If you don't like my fire...then don't come around...cos I'm gonna burn one down....

It has been my experience that when the issue is raised it is because the person smoking is in violation of the law.

In BC:

Where is smoking banned?

• Smoking is not permitted in any fully or substantially enclosed public place or workplace.

• Smoking is not permitted within 3 metres of most public or workplace doorways, open windows, or air intakes (i.e. a “buffer zone”).

• Substantially enclosed transit shelters are smoke-free.

• Common areas of apartment buildings, condominiums and dormitories are smoke-free.

• Tobacco use of any kind, including smoking, is banned on all public and private K-12 school grounds.

• In motor vehicles when youth under 16 years of age are present.

Can I smoke in my vehicle?

There are two situations when smoking is not allowed in a vehicle:

• When it’s your work vehicle: under the Tobacco Control Act, smoking is banned inside all workplaces - and if are using a work vehicle, then it is a workplace and you cannot smoke inside it even if you are the sole occupant.

• When someone under the age of 16 is in your vehicle: it is a violation of the Motor Vehicle Act to smoke in any vehicle when youth under 16 are present.

http://www.health.go...unities.html#q3

OK, here you go - one year of stats in the US:

In 2010, 10,228 people were killed in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for nearly one-third (31%) of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.

Secondhand smoke exposure causes an estimated 46,000 heart disease deaths annually among adult nonsmokers in the United States.

And sometimes you can't move away from the smoke....at a bus stop for instance. At work, the guys like to step outside the door and the smoke all floats back inside....I asked them to move away from the door and that was a pretty simple compromise that they agreed to. As soon as they lit up, I could fee it in my throat and shouldn't have had to, so they understood this and moved. How could I have moved away from the smoke? (I couldn't have unless I left my work station).

They also won't allow perfume in the ICU based on the same sensitivities. Sure, it's my right to wear it but I also understand that it adversely affects some, so it's the least I can do.

In a bar, some people have asthma but still want to socialize....so you're saying they should "suck it up"? I think the smokers are the ones who should be (and are being) inconvenienced....they choose to smoke and the other people choose not to breathe it - so it has to work for everyone.

Smokers' rights do not trump others' - if I wanted to spray hairspray in my hair I wouldn't let'er rip....I'd politely go away from others in order to do so. The same applies with smoking - it's just a matter of being considerate instead of being a jerk.

Archived