The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

US gun owners show off their Christmas 'toys'

dudeone

I also grew up with guns and was later trained to use a handgun. Living in an urban environment I have absolutely no use for a firearm these days and have not had one since returning to law school lo those 30+ years ago.

As my American cousin - a "Texican" born and bred who was a star high school QB, volunteered to fight in Vietnam, etc says the US has become the the Land of the Not So Free and Home of the Scared.

The minority opinions (Stevens and Breyer) had a much different view of the Miller case and were baffled by the judicial sleight of hand inherent in the majority opinion. The majority's interpretation of Miller is tortured in the extreme.

Until Heller it was not recognized as an individual right bestowed upon citizens but rather a collective right that flowed from the concept of a well- regulated militia.

That is the one factor folks seem to ignore when discussing the whole gun rights issue .. too many Americans do live in fear and it warps their ability to reason and use common sense .. I knew a fellow when I lived in Anacortes for awhile, that had a handgun in every room in his house .. all loaded with one in the chamber .. he was ex-military and was careless as hell with them .. the more guns there are, the more "accidental" incidents will occur .. sounds logical to me ..

Years back when I was working as summer student in Prince Rupert (the early 1970's) with Canada Customs and Canada Immigration we were constantly seizing handguns from Americans coming off the Alaska State Ferries.

We would always give the driver the chance to declare the firearms and the opportunity to box them up and send them back to the US.

In once case we had an RV driven by a deputy sheriff from New Mexico. He claimed to have no firearms in his RV and he was told his vehicle was going to be searched and still said no - he also claimed we had no right to search his vehicle and became quite abusive.

Bad mistake on his part. We found 17 handguns in various locations throughout the RV. He was arrested, the guns seized as was his RV and as he was being led away in cuffs he was raging about his rights to bear arms. Sorry sir, this is Canada - those rights do not exist.

The concept of "militia" in the second amendment stems from citizens forming their own small militias, nonetheless, the right of gun ownership was inherent. The militia part is obviously obsolete now, even though I don't think it should be.

Again, why would the Constitution need to bestow the right of government to have a weapon-wielding military in the Bill of Rights when it was in the articles? The Federalist papers clearly showed the founders were afraid of an excessively strong federal government, they had just fought an extended national "militia" for their freedom and weren't too fond of central government which is why there was such a fight for a federal government to exist in the first place. (<- Kind of ironic now if you consider where the US federal government today stands in scope and size)

Understanding more than having your own interpretation of "a well regulated militia", which seems more like what biblical cherry picking religious people do, would serve you well henceforth.

America's Real Criminal Element: Lead

New research finds Pb is the hidden villain behind violent crime, lower IQs, and even the ADHD epidemic. And fixing the problem is a lot cheaper than doing nothing.

http://www.motherjon...gasoline?page=1

This was an interesting read. Maybe the lead from all the firearms in the country is keeping Americans dumber? Does it explain Bush and the Republicans? I kid of course, but the very real effects of lead on intelligence and aggressiveness can't be disputed.

Courts also have the sense to not make law abiding citizens guilty for a criminal's acts like you personally, naively wish. Sense isn't limited to the founding fathers for establishing the second amendment, it extends to judges for reasonably preserving it. You, much like Wetcoaster, have an aggrandisement issue believing you know more than all of these people and know what's best for them.

I'm not sure where you get this assertion that I "wish" citizens were held responsible for a criminal's act. I'd challenge you to show an example of me doing so, but I know you cannot, so I see no point.

Secondly, I don't believe that I "know more than all of these people", (whomever "all of these people" are) however, I am possessed of enough common sense to look at all of the evidence and come to a conclusion. In the case of the USA, there literally is a "smoking gun".

:frantic:

The absurdity of the post above is beyond the realm of any normal understanding. Countless posts from learned, calm, factual, gun owners and non-gun owners alike refuting and explaining standpoints, expressing opinions and the user still doesn't get it. Or even acknowledge that perhaps each side of this debate may have some valid points. Common sense? Perhaps he needs to check his own personal levels? Yet he feels free to call out others on their lack of 'understanding' and downright bias against the entire gun owning situation.

Why are we all continuing to feed this troll?

He doesn't want to get it, he is going out of his way and making a concerted effort to refuse to answer any question that he doesn't have a personal answer for, not even a made up one and than uses derogatory comments to describe those who have gone the extra mile to try and rebut and debate his opinion.

The American Constitution........apparently if you ain't with every single word written within, yer agin it......that's some real, modern, cogitative thinking beyond hunnerds-of-years-old text that was never meant for the world of the late 1900s and into the 2000s.

The American Constitution........well, one day they can pry his copy of that out of his other cold dead hand........it will have served him and countless other frivolous American gun owners so very well. But he'll still be D.E.A.D. Most likely by bullet or buckshot.

I'm not sure where you get this assertion that I "wish" citizens were held responsible for a criminal's act. I'd challenge you to show an example of me doing so, but I know you cannot, so I see no point.

Secondly, I don't believe that I "know more than all of these people", (whomever "all of these people" are) however, I am possessed of enough common sense to look at all of the evidence and come to a conclusion. In the case of the USA, there literally is a "smoking gun".

As far as Wetcoaster goes, he really does know more than 99% of the people out there. This is what years of experience in the legal profession provides.

Another link talking about the effects of lead - which is a hazard to firearm owners everywhere:

http://www.utexas.edu/safety/ehs/msds/lead.html

SYMPTOMS OF LEAD POISONING

The following is a partial list of common symptoms of lead poisoning, and symptoms that appear in any individual will vary. Furthermore, a lead level that produces only moderate problems in one individual may prove lethal to another:

• Loss of memory, and difficulty in concentration. This is frequently the first symptom seen.

• Fatigue. This can become profound and incapacitating.

• Irritability and aggressiveness.

• Loss of sexual interest. Impotence.

• Insomnia. (Which greatly complicates the fatigue.)

• Depression.

• Headaches.

• Neurological symptoms, such as hand twitching.

• Encephalopathy. This is the medical term for major brain dysfunction (actually, all of the above are symptoms of central nervous system problems). This can manifest itself as loss of function or paralysis in a limb, confusion, disorientation, loss of coordination, or the symptoms of several forms of insanity. (Lead poisoning probably contributed to the insanity of several of the Roman Ceasars, and contributed to the fall of the empire. The Roman upper classes boiled their wine in lead-lined pots. This sweetened the wine, and made it resistant to souring by yeast. Bones recovered from graves of Roman nobility have shown phenomenal lead contents.)

• Elevated blood pressure.

• Digestive difficulties and abdominal pains.

• Weight loss.

• Joint pains, particularly in the joints of the long bones, like the wrists.

• Anemia.

• In women, menstrual irregularity and decreased fertility. (Again, lead poisoning may have been responsible for the documented dramatic decrease in fertility among the Roman nobility and upper classes.)

• Kidney damage and/or liver damage.

• Sore or bleeding gums around the margin of the gum and tooth.

• In children, retarded intellectual development, behavioral problems, as well as most of the other problems listed above.

State Rep. DebraLee Hovey to Gabby Giffords: Stay Out

by RICK GREEN on JANUARY 6, 2013 ·

http://courantblogs....fords-stay-out/

State Rep. DebraLee Hovey, who represents Newtown and Monroe, posted this on her public FB page. From Florida. (Note: Hovey removed the post from her public Facebook page on Sunday afternoon).

Giffords visited local officials and Sandy Hook families Friday in meetings that were closed to the press.

debralee-hovey.jpg

She had more to say in this comment thread:

DebraLee-Hovey-3.jpg

I wonder how her colleagues in the General Assembly feel about this sentiment.

You know exactly who "all of these people" are, you responded in your previous post with "Americans". You also know who made the Constitution. You're trying to save face for whatever reason, which is unusual since you usually are more shameless about such disrespect.

Archived