The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

US gun owners show off their Christmas 'toys'

dudeone

Perhaps happiness is a warm gun??

According to John Lennon, the title came from the cover of a gun magazine that producer George Martin showed him: "I think he showed me a cover of a magazine that said 'Happiness Is a Warm Gun.' It was a gun magazine. I just thought it was a fantastic, insane thing to say. A warm gun means you just shot something."

Somewhat ironic, eh?

Guns are systematically blamed by gun control / anti-gun nuts each and every time this happens in the US. Gun control has been tried, gun bans have been tried, assault weapon bans have been tried. It doesn't stop murders, it doesn't stop access to guns by criminals. It's not worked.

I'd suggest another approach but some people are still stuck on the same cursory and hackneyed approach to a more complex problem.

The solution is doing more research, getting to the bottom of the cause of American violence and murder, finding better ways to detect and prevent these occurrences. Right now it's an unknown.

Except where the research provides overwhelming evidence that gun control policies did work.....

I don't know how many times I've cited this link to people like yourself. Most of the time the research is just ignored. I expect the same from you, but it would serve your own argument well if you could respond to and refute such statistics.

http://www.theatlant...oCSc9gDE.mailto

Would love to see you provide some actual research (i.e. empirical studies by people who aren't yourself) to support these 'opinions' that you have.

I already have in another topic:

Research showing at best minimal, but likely no effect resulting from the federal assault weapons ban (the most popular "solution" touted on the forums):

https://www.ncjrs.go...ants/204431.pdf

Research showing more guns, less crime:

http://www.sciencedi...14481889800012X

I don't know how many times I've cited links like this to people like yourself, but I plan on it being ignored.

Gun control laws and bans don't show anything, other than the very distinct ability to reduce law abiding people's ability to defend themselves.

As the actual study states, the methodology involved in the study you support was extremely flawed.

Now I remember you, you're the one who does not understand cause-effect relationships:

/topic/337362-27-dead-in-connecticut-elementary-school-shooting/page__st__240__p__11015241#entry11015241">http://forum.canucks...1#entry11015241

In your assault weapon study, only approximately 2% of all gun crimes involve such weapons, meaning that it is pretty difficult to reduce crime rates when you focus on such a small proportion of the overall rate.

EDIT: From the study you cited:

Yes I've heard of it, just like I've heard of people being killed by sharks or vending machines. So what?

Maybe your situation is safe and sound, but try a quick Google on 'accidental' shooting or similar and you'll find a number of hits I'm sure.

The whole safe and sound thing doesn't really make sense either though cause if the point is defense against intruder, and you need to get the key, unlock it and load it, well, seems like that would take longer than a crazed rapist would likely give you.

Zaibatsu, would you enlighten me and show me how tougher gun control in the past has failed, in the US?

And that is where you are wrong. It takes about 5 seconds to unlock my safe and grab a gun. No one could even sprint through my house and make it to the basement to my room, so someone in the dark trying to be quiet with a German Shepard trying to eat them wouldn't stand a chance.

And that is where you are wrong. It takes about 5 seconds to unlock my safe and grab a gun. No one could even sprint through my house and make it to the basement to my room, so someone in the dark trying to be quiet with a German Shepard trying to eat them wouldn't stand a chance.

Archived