The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

US gun owners show off their Christmas 'toys'

dudeone

Suppressors have been around for approaching 100 years and with some exceptions aren't nearly as quiet as in the movies.

The other thing is, someone that wants one for illegal purposes can just make one themselves, even a potato stuck over the end of a barrel is very effective for one shot.

Gun publications are infamous for being little more than thinly veiled advertisements...

Anyways, you'll find that suppressors, unless they're extremely bulky or very expensive specialized setups of the kind that only special forces, clandestine services and big league organized crime seems to bother with, they're just not all that quiet anyways.

Gun publications are infamous for being little more than thinly veiled advertisements...

Anyways, you'll find that suppressors, unless they're extremely bulky or very expensive specialized setups of the kind that only special forces, clandestine services and big league organized crime seems to bother with, they're just not all that quiet anyways.

That has been so because silencers have been closely regulated in the past.

Now we have the campaign by the American Silencer Association backed by the NRA seeking to re-brand silencers as "safety devices".

It should surprise no one that the NRA has recently thrown its weight behind an industry campaign to deregulate and promote the use of silencers. Under the trade banner of the American Silencer Association, manufacturers have come together with the support of the NRA to rebrand the silencer as a safety device belonging in every all-American gun closet. To nurture this potentially large and untapped market, the ASA last April sponsored the first annual all-silencer gun shoot and trade show in Dallas. America’s silencer makers are each doing their part. SWR Suppressors is asking survivalists to send a picture of their “bugout bag” for a chance to win an assault rifle silencer.

Basically anyone can make one, the instructions are all over the net and on printed page.

Most of these homemade examples won't be particularily good but the fact is they're not hard to do and haven't triggered a huge crime wave of Hollywood style assassins.

The stupid leading the imbecilic

Pushing for an Oklahoma state senate bill authorizing the open carrying of guns (which eventually passed), Sen. Ralph Shortey explained in a March committee hearing that it was an incident from his past that convinced him of the need to carry a gun openly. "I was in oil and gas. I was out on a lease at one time, and I got attacked by a turkey. Wait until you get attacked by a turkey. You will know the fear that a turkey can invoke in a person. And so I beat it with a club. That was all I could do. And (then) I started carrying a gun in my truck after that without a license because I didn't want to get attacked by a mountain lion." [Tulsa World, 3-31-2012]

Archived