The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

US gun owners show off their Christmas 'toys'

dudeone

Having more anything means it's easier for criminals to get their hands on them. Hell, having better TV's, more jewellery, and so on makes it easier for criminals to get their hands on them. What you personally have that criminals can get their hands on is no justification for not having them when they are properly stored and kept away. There obviously is no perfect way to keep it out of the wrong hands, as seen with the Lanza case, but these are extreme exceptions to the rule and such should be kept at arm's length from determining policy for everyone else. That's just common sense talking though, which surely will disagree with you.

No, what a ridiculous assumption. Your risk of a kid or neighbour or whoever accidently shooting themselves or someone else is higher than the risk of some boogeyman breaking into your houseand threatening your family. I understand that that is scarier, but its unfounded fear.

Does that mean it never happens? No, but if you are actually wanting to be safe rather than sorry, there are a hundred ways you're more likely to kill yourself or be killed by that you should protect yourself from.

No but having those things can easily provide motivation to be robbed, as well as be killed. Since you're on a tangent about how merely having a gun is dangerous no matter how well it's stored, surely you should be agreeing with this.. but again, doesn't fit your argument, hence "apples and bullets".

How is a neighbour or a kid going to shoot themselves with my guns? First they would have to get into my house. Then they would have to find my safe, and then they would have to break into an all STEEL safe.

I like how you call them boogeymen , like its a mythic creature. Have you never rea about someone being hurt or killed in a break and enter? It's happened where I live and in surrounding areas.

What's the harm in owning a gun if I'm going above and beyond the rules to be safe?

Yes I've heard of it, just like I've heard of people being killed by sharks or vending machines. So what?

Maybe your situation is safe and sound, but try a quick Google on 'accidental' shooting or similar and you'll find a number of hits I'm sure.

The whole safe and sound thing doesn't really make sense either though cause if the point is defense against intruder, and you need to get the key, unlock it and load it, well, seems like that would take longer than a crazed rapist would likely give you.

Most home robberies in the U.S. are said to to take place when the occupants aren't home, as a precaution on the part of the robber.

If someone does break in when people are home, its likely you're dealing with an amature, someone who just doesn't care and doesn't have a lot to lose, or someone who's not there for the money.

Archived