The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Help - Unlocking iPhone4

A.A.A

Hey guys, so need a bit of help/advice.

I recently ended my contract with Bell and switched to a month to month plan with another provider. I have an iPhone 4 but Bell is refusing to unlock it, saying they only unlock phones once the contract is fulfilled - which doesn't make sense to me since I've paid the cancellation fee and am no longer under contract.

I can't use my phone with my new provider until it's been unlocked, so basically do any of you know where I could get my iPhone unlocked for relatively cheap (<$50ish) and fast?

I looked into doing it myself, but found it kinda tricky.

Also, I unfortunately have iOS 6.0.1 on my phone, which apparently makes things tricky?

Any help appreciated!

Since you have iOS 6.01, that means you have baseband (modem version) 04.12.01 and your options are limited I think. eBay was offering some IMEI based unlocks (which is your only option that I'm aware of at this point) but I didn't see Bell listed, only Rogers/Fido and that was for $139.

I think it's worth it to try Bell again. If this site is accurate, Bell began unlocking iPhones like not too long ago, and maybe all CSRs are not fully aware of the rules. Just to reiterate -- you no longer have obligations with Bell right? If that's the case, and you have bought out the contract like you suggest, I am not sure how they can interpret someone in your position as "on a contract."

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/26/bell-virgin-mobile-canada-reportedly-start-unlocking-iphones/

Funny enough if you were still on contract you could have demanded they switch IMEI numbers. Have done that with Virgin twice. They called me the first time after they noticed I was using a different handset.

" You are using a different phone ?"

"Yes the one you gave me capped tha bed"

" Oh well we have to charge you the full amount for that phone and issue you a new contract"

" lol ok then I will switch providers, thank you for your service gooodbye"

" Wait sir let me see what my supervisor has to say"

" i could care less, you are trying to charge me for my dead phone and are penalizing me for going out and buying another ? No chance in hell I will ever use Virgin again"

"Sir my supervisor has told me to go ahead with the IMEI change"

" Yeah I thought so"

Second time I called and ask they switch the IMEI number as I lost the current handset and had to purchase another. Again they threatened to charge me the full amount. I laughed and said the same thing "thank you for your services i will no longer be a customer of Virgin." A supervisor called me back within 15 min and said it was taken care of.

These complanies need to know they cannot walk all over us the consumer who hand them billions of dollars. Demand service politely and generally you will recieve it .

BJH - yeah I'm wanting to get the Galaxy S3, but not ready to drop 400+ on the phone when newer ones are just around the corner. Yeah there are always newer phones coming out, but I think I'd rather wait to see how the new S4 is in March or maybe the blackberry bold (prob not bb tho..)

Phaneuf Train - I've contacted about 4-5 shops, and they all say that they can't unlock Bell phones. I'll check out the Geeks and some other places..

VanFan73 - wish I had known that earlier lol, didn't realize this would be such a pain. And that's why I will never sign a contract or get a subsidized phone again, much better to just buy it outright and maintain your freedom in changing contracts or providers.

iLLmatic - yeah, I'm not gonna bother, I couldn't figure it out anyways!

Thanks for the responses guys! Appreciate it :)

Archived