The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Value Of) Alex Edler to Philadelphia

Pears

If Anaheim gave us permission to talk contract, and we signed Getzlaf; you bet I would!

But why would Anaheim? They have Hillier as noted by another response; but also phenom prospect John Gibson who will probably be WJC MVP. To quote Bob MacKenzie; "I think Anaheim will be set in goal for a very long time!"

Not only will they not want to trade Couturier because he's a big part of their future, he is also cheap.

Schnieder, Gaunce, 1st FOR Getzlaf

Would you?

Highly interesting, and a well laid out case; but Simmonds and Couturier is just too much young (established bonafide blue chip) talent for Edler as a UFA. Maybe if they got a chance to sign him if a deal was made?

Lets go bigger; Edler,Higgins, Lou and Gaunce, Philly buys out Brizzy and we get Simmonds, Couturier and Coburn?

I'm not so sure they wouldn't give him up. They got giroux schenn and couturier. Obviously they're going to posture and say no way, those 3 are off the table. But we're not going to trade a 26 yr old all star dman for anything less than a blue chip prospect coming back. So they look to find common ground with other pieces.

What if we counter with someone like gaunce included. That is a better fit long term for a 3rd line center. We get possibly a future number one center and they replace him with a guy that will fall into place. Now we're getting ripped there so they need to add more but it's a way to negotiate to a fair deal for both. Neither guy is willing to get fleeced but there is a deal there that can help both teams.

Edler gaunce

For

Couturier simmonds

Edler is better than simmonds for immediate help

Couturier is better that gaunce for future help

Add in an evening out pick or 2

It balances out but the kicker is the uncertainty of edler resigning. I understand that but holmgrens got huge balls and wouldn't be surprised to see something like that.

Edit.. As for us needing a dman, that's where the luongo trade comes in... I hate to see edler go but if we can get a decent replacement for him via luongo, then I think this is the best possible way to maximize return on the situation. Get someone to bite and over pay for edler and get good replacement by maybe over paying with a Lu package. Or even just go with an adequate replacement for Lu straight up

Archived