The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Value Of) Alex Edler to Philadelphia

Pears

I figured this topic would create a decent discussion. We all know the Flyers' need of defensemen, so what would they be willing to give up for Alex Edler? I think any Edler deal to Philly would a number of these players/picks coming back to Vancouver in a package

- Sean Couturier

- Jakub Voracek

- Wayne Simmonds

- Max Talbot

- 2013 1st

I think this package would be the most the most appetizing for both teams:

To Vancouver: Sean Couturier, 2013 1st

To Philly: Alex Edler, Yann Sauve

Thoughts?

I figured this topic would create a decent discussion. We all know the Flyers' need of defensemen, so what would they be willing to give up for Alex Edler? I think any Edler deal to Philly would a number of these players/picks coming back to Vancouver in a package

- Sean Couturier

- Jakub Voracek

- Wayne Simmonds

- Max Talbot

- 2013 1st

Thoughts?

- Sean Couturier

- Jakub Voracek

- Wayne Simmonds

- Max Talbot

- 2013 1st

Thoughts?

Buyout Briere??? :wacko::sick::sadno:

With the cap going down, and a new Edler AND Giroux deal coming, Philly will need to send cap dollars the other way. Even if they buy out Briere, they will still need some room.

Because of this, I imagine the main component of a return package would be either Simmonds, Voracek, or Coburn. If an extension for Edler was already agreed upon, any one of those guys and a 1st or 2nd round pick would be a decent return.

I think Edler is going to be a UFA in July .

Even if the lockout is lifted and can be traded, how long will it be before there is a trade deadline? 6 weeks?

I think if we for second rounder for Edlers rights, there wold be some takers. Otherwise, we are going to have to either re sign him for big bucks or let him walk for nothing.

What I aways wonder about is why it has to be looked at as a loss if he walks?

Lets assume he commands $6.5 mill on the open market, but it would not matter for the exercise if we assumed less or more. If we do not sign him we have an expired contract. You have to believe management has planned around the likelihood we will have to offer him $6.5.

We can then plan to spend the $6.5 elsewhere or better. That could be a trade for an established value, say Couturiere and a first (and any money left over) as proposed. Or it could be a different free agent. But even if we let him walk, the same potential is there. In the NBA one of the most sought after deals is an expiring contract; so you can go after Lebron, or Dwight Howard, or whomever...

Now if we trade him before the deadline we are going to get waaaaay more than the 2knd round pick proposed below. But if we keep him through the play off's for a run at the cup; we may recover only a 2knd round pick for his rights but hopefully we also have a cup and his expiring contract (to spend next year).

We make roughly $20 mill on a cup run; so my logic says unless MG thinks we do not have a shot (like last year when MG knew Kesler was injured) there is more to be had keeping Edler than trading him for prospects!

Its why the Hodgson deal looked so fishy; we could not possibly have been trying to win last year.

I think Edler is going to be a UFA in July .

Even if the lockout is lifted and can be traded, how long will it be before there is a trade deadline? 6 weeks?

I think if we for second rounder for Edlers rights, there wold be some takers. Otherwise, we are going to have to either re sign him for big bucks or let him walk for nothing.

Do they still not have to buyout the whole value of the contract? I'm not aware of a lower buyout because he's a certain age...

And if it were true, wouldn't they try and save some real dollars (someone actually coughs when they write cheques, its not all cap space contrary to popular belief) and buyout Chris Pronger???

Definitely.

Briere's been money for Philly, but:

1) He'll be 36 years old at the start of the 2013-14 season.

2) He'll have a 6.5 million dollar cap hit for two more seasons.

3) He'll only have 5 million salary dollars left to pay out.

Make no mistake, if Flyers get an amnesty buyout, they'll use it on Briere.

Philly has been the one club that has invested in blockbuster deals like this; confident they can sign their man and willing to put their wallet on the table in discussions. And also put up good players to get an asset they want (see Pronger and Forsburg acquisitions). Very aggressive, so I could see it happening in that context.

I'm starting to believe MG would make deals like this.  Last year he made the Booth AND Hodgson deals that were all about asset's. I do not believe we have as good a chance to win this year with Couturiere instead of Edler.  I don't think we should do it. It leaves too big a hole on D, and more deals to be made to be competitive!  

But it also offers great value???

Do they still not have to buyout the whole value of the contract?  I'm not aware of a lower buyout because he's a certain age...

And if it were true, wouldn't they try and save some real dollars (someone actually coughs when they write cheques, its not all cap space contrary to popular belief) and buyout Chris Pronger???

Seems like the gravy years for the owner; seeing as Briere is still top 6 on virtually all teams... I still do not see the buyout?

But I stand corrected on the details; thanx!

Briere's actual salary is 3 million for 2013-14, and 2 million for 2014-15. That's all the actual cash they need to spend. But it frees up 6.5 million of cap each year.

His age doesn't affect the buyout. I only pointed it out, because at that age, you shouldn't expect him to perform to the level as he has in the past.

Pronger won't be bought out, because you can't buyout someone on injury. Even if you could though, his salary is covered by insurance, and while on IR the Flyers get cap relief for him. So why would they bother?

Archived