The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Multiple Warning Signs Surrounding Zack Kassian

King of the ES

Don Waddell is also the guy who drafted Patrik Stefan over either Sedin, so it's pretty obvious what he really felt. His vague and meaningless quote could be applied to anyone drafted in the 1st round. I guess except for the "marketing ploy" part (LOL), which is how a lot of people in Vancouver felt about the transaction.

Stefan and Brendl were the two most hyped prospects of that draft. The Sedin's were not. Good second-line players were their projection.

With this quote you should take your own advice:

You're showing your inexperience if you suggest otherwise.

Anyone who knows anything significant about this franchises's history pre 2000 Knows Burke made a deal with Wandell that he wouldn't take either Sedin in exchange for the 1st overall pick.

Rick Dudley in Tampa Bay had the 1st Overall Pick, and was determined to draft Daniel Sedin, after a series of profane conversations Burke was able to convince him that "no one is leaving Boston with the Twins expect me" as he said and that's what he did, he paid a huge price to do it and got the job done, he then wanted to pick them at the same time so he delt the 1st to Atlanta to allow them to draft 1st overall and get Stefan in exchange for the 2nd overall pick and a 3rd round pick.

Sedin's were the most hyped and highest rated prospects in the draft, they were expected to be franchise players. And certainly had more expected of them than Hodgson.

Actually the Sedin's were the most overhyped prospects, Alot of people including Burke weren't all that impressed with Brendl. It was widely regarded as a weak draft year, and looking back at the rest of the 1st round that is clearly obvious. Burke himself said they were looking at trading the pick since Brendl or Stefan didn't appeal to them, niether did the Twins at a point, but then they got named to the mens world championship team as young players which is extremely rare especially in european countries so they decided to go watch and from then on were determined to get these players, Burke did alot of tough wheeling and dealing as it is well publicized.

And this is all off track anyways, still waiting to hear your explaination on how Cody is our best prospect since Linden and how he had more expectations than the Sedins.

Edit: Oh and just to futhur prove my point, I was able to dig this up, it's from HF on them when they were still young prospects/younger players:

Daniel

Future:

This guy can be pretty much how good he wants too. If he decides to improve his defensive game he should be a 40-goal two-way forward. Kind of Steve Yzerman but on the wing and with unproven leadership skills. He is loyal to his team and always work hard, on every shift. The only thing to worry about is if he can play without his twinbrother, Henrik. They have played together their entire career and they are likely to need some time to adjust to playing with other guys. But with all the skill and hockey knowledge that he possesses there's no reason why he shouldn't be a top NHL-forward for many years to come.

He was expected to be a top line scoring player even without Henrik.

Henrik

Future:

Overall a more complete player than his brother but without the scoring touch that Daniel possesses. If he improves his shot, and starts to use it more he could turn into a 25-goal, 50 assists 2nd line C. He'll also provide some terrific plays on special teams, both on PP and PK. And as with his brother, he can be how good he wants too. He has all the skills to be on the top line in the NHL for many years. The only thing to worry about is if he can play without his twin brother, Daniel. They have played together their entire career and they are likely to need some time to adjust to playing with other guys. He's a loyal teamplayer and he's more of a leader on the ice than his brother.

So obviously when he say's he could be a 25 goal 50 assist 20 C (I'm not sure in who thinks a 75 Point player is a 2nd liner by the way) He referring to if he was on his own without Daniel.

Then he acknowlodges that with his brother there is no reason why he can't be a top line NHL player.

As you can see the expectation was there that they could be top line NHL player's together and they even Daniel to be one alone, since we got them together, they were surley expected to be 1st line players one day and carry the franchise once we got them togther.

Now King says LIndros was heralded as "the next Gretzky" muahahaha!

And I suppose Yakupov is hailed as the next Patrick Roy!

Still waiting for some credible quotes King - posts on the Botox boards written four years after the draft don't qualify.

This actually is quite true. Lindros was the first player to have the moniker "The Next One" attached to him. The fact that he was so heralded allowed his often questionable choices: refusing to play for 2 teams that drafted him (the Greyhounds and Nordiques).

Don Waddell is also the guy who drafted Patrik Stefan over either Sedin, so it's pretty obvious what he really felt. His vague and meaningless quote could be applied to anyone drafted in the 1st round. I guess except for the "marketing ploy" part (LOL), which is how a lot of people in Vancouver felt about the transaction.

Stefan and Brendl were the two most hyped prospects of that draft. The Sedin's were not. Good second-line players were their projection.

You thinking it doesn't make it historically accurate you know. Research is your friend.

I do agree about Lindros being overhyped though which would probably be the first thing you have ever said that I agreed with.

And clearly Burke made all those moves to make sure he had 2 of the top 3 picks so he could acquire two brothers to anchor the 2nd line......lol. I am not a fan of Burke at all but he went balls to the wall to get the Sedins. He did what any GM wished they could have done that day. Bottom line.

Bottom line is that Waddell had the chance to take either Sedin. He chose Patrik Stefan instead. The big decision for Waddell at the time was whether he was going to take Stefan or Brendl. A lot of people felt that NYR were the big winners of the whole ordeal because they got Brendl at the #4 spot, who many felt had 1st overall talent (73 goals in 68 games in the WHL that year).

Second-line is what most thought the Sedin's were. And those expectations really didn't change until 2009. A lot of short-term memories on this site, wow.

This actually is quite true. Lindros was the first player to have the moniker "The Next One" attached to him. The fact that he was so heralded allowed his often questionable choices: refusing to play for 2 teams that drafted him (the Greyhounds and Nordiques).

Yep. Lindros was amazing. NHL Network did a pretty good documentary on him that I would encourage all to watch. He was basically so good, so much better than everyone else at both the OHL and the NHL drafts, that he could afford to dictate the terms of his career.

NHLPA owe a great deal of thanks to Lindros, who knew how valuable he was to a team and refused to be compensated any less than what he felt was fair.

Bottom line is that Waddell had the chance to take either Sedin. He chose Patrik Stefan instead. The big decision for Waddell at the time was whether he was going to take Stefan or Brendl. A lot of people felt that NYR were the big winners of the whole ordeal because they got Brendl at the #4 spot, who many felt had 1st overall talent (73 goals in 68 games in the WHL that year).

Second-line is what most thought the Sedin's were. And those expectations really didn't change until 2009. A lot of short-term memories on this site, wow.

Second line is what many FANS thought. I beg to differ as to what the majority of the GMs thought. You also have to factor in that the Sedins collective value - ie. them both going to the same team - was significantly higher than their perceived value individually. Although both were still projected as top line players individually.

Waddell either was not willing or did not have the assets to do what Burke did to get both. And drafting anyone - even top 5 picks - is not an exact science. There could have been any number of reasons Waddell chose Stefan but I would bet not one of them was that he did not highly covet the Sedins.

While it seems obvious in hindsight, here are some things that were said about Stefan at the time.......

“He is a big, strong play-maker who sees the ice very well,” said John Van Boxmeer, coach of the Ice Dogs. “The early consensus from scouts is that he could be the first overall pick next year in the NHL Entry Draft.”

“He is going to be a dominating, play-making center,” Van Boxmeer said of the 6-foot-3 195 pounder. “He is a guy who looks to make the play rather than shoot himself. He’ll be a guy who can get 100 assists and 20-25 goals in the NHL.”

“Patrik is a world-class player,” said LA Kings General Manage Dave Taylor. “He is a good skater, a tenacious player, very skilled with the puck and possesses excellent size, strength and work ethic.”

“I have followed Patrik’s progress since December of 1995. The impression he left with me then and throughout the various tournaments I have seen him play, is that he is the brightest young prospectdeveloped in the Czech Republic since Jaromir Jagr, ” said Bob Owen of RHO Hockey, a scouting agency.

“He is a cross between Mike Modano and Sergei Fedorov,” said coach Boxmeer.

Finding this took me about 5 minutes.......research is your friend.

And when Kassian starts producing in the NHL this year, I can't wait to see what King has to say. Go on King reply with another boring rebuttal.

Time will tell. Kassian still has some work to do, most notably between the ears in regards to decision making and commitment to being the absolute best player he can be. The physical tools are all there.

Waddell NOT taking a Sedin was part of the deal with Burke which gave Atlanta the first overall pick. Der. Franchise players was the prediction.

I've seen him play live for nucks and wolves. Some days he looks dominant and has elite skill, other days he looks disinterested.I would sign him long term to low money, because in 5 years or so he could be a real force. trading him or letting him walk would be a mistake, you have to give players time to develop-look at the sedins and Burrows, didn't come into their own until around 26/27

It's pretty simple; he may have highly coveted the Sedin's, but he coveted Stefan even higher.

It was part of the deal that Wandell wouldn't take a Sedin, and that they would get to pick 1st and take Stefan for there young franchise.

It's pretty simple; he may have highly coveted the Sedin's, but he coveted Stefan even higher.

Having a bit of trouble wading through the logical quicksand, but if the Sedins are not franchise players because they were drafted 2nd and 3rd overall what does that make Coho who was left till 10th overall? Does this logic means he wasn't very coveted by other GMs and left exposed till later?

(Of course you may point out the Kassian was not drafted till 13th in his year, but that doesn't evade that you believe that if you were not drafted first overall then you are second and third line career players and not franchise calibre like Cody cannot be)

The only warning sign that Kassian has is his inconsistency. That is something you can't teach and it will hurt him in the NHL. What a genius trade by the Sabres though. They already had a better, harder-working version of Kassian in Marcus Foligno so they were willing to deal him.

The only warning sign that Kassian has is his inconsistency. That is something you can't teach and it will hurt him in the NHL. What a genius trade by the Sabres though. They already had a better, harder-working version of Kassian in Marcus Foligno so they were willing to deal him.

The logic fails. We have a young power forward left wing - therefore we trade our other young power forward - a right wing. God forbid you have a club with two power forwards.

The Sabres were already small enough up front - and then they went out and got smaller.

And if you think Hodgson is the poster boy for consistency you haven't been paying attention.

Regehr was so happy with the deal that he went public with the fact that he was still looking for the right centerman after the deal. He then went out and cut a deal for one, and drafted two more in the first round.

Genius deal indeed.

The Canucks have another young center anyway - a better two way player - a1st round pick who has fared better for the Canucks AHL club than Hodgson did. Genius trade.

Shouldn't he start producing in the AHL, first?

Hodgson stats for the Moose were entirely unimpressive - worse than Schroeder's, and Kassian's small sample that raises so much concern with you is right in line with what Hodgson did.

Should the Canucks have waited for Hodgson to actually produce in the AHL?

Archived