The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Multiple Warning Signs Surrounding Zack Kassian

King of the ES

Except, as I've already pointed out a few times, it was Buffalo shopping Kassian for a young center at the dealine. They were looking for an NHL ready center to push for the playoffs. Their need was immediate and they weren't going to wait until summer. Sometimes you have to make a trade when what you are looking for becomes available.

Source? Buffalo were 14th in the East at the deadline and were selling players like Gaustad for picks. They weren't pushing for the playoffs. The trade could have been done in the offseason.

That's total crap. You're suggesting that Buffalo expected a rookie to waltz in and "push them to the playoffs"?

Of course they would've made the trade in the summer. Gillis simply bought in to the false urgency.

From The Buffalo News....

Upper management apparently was thrilled when Regier completed the deal for Hodgson, the one-time poster boy for Canadian junior hockey. He was selected two picks ahead of Tyler Myers in 2008. The following year, he played on a line with John Tavares and led Canada in scoring on their march to a gold medal in the World Junior Championships.

The Sabres were desperate for help down the middle, and Hodgson could be the playmaker they needed. He had 16 goals and 33 points in 63 games, putting him on pace for 20 goals and 42 points for the season. Not bad considering he played on the third line behind Henrik Sedin and Ryan Kesler.

Hodgson is a right-handed shot, so you can envision him opening more ice and feeding left winger Thomas Vanek at some point in the future. He was on the Canucks’ second power-play unit, too. Perhaps he can find chemistry with Nathan Gerbe and Ville Leino in the coming years and Brad Boyes this season. Who knows? He could be a young Daniel Briere.

It could be an ideal fit."

http://buffalosabresnation.com/2012/02/28/codgsonkassian-swap-stupefies-vancouverbuffalo-press/

From an NHL.com writer....

Desperately needing to shore up the center position, Regier sent highly-regarded right wing Zach Kassian and young defenseman Marc-Andre Gragnani to the Vancouver Canucks in exchange for talented rookie Cody Hodgson and defenseman

Alexander Sulzer.

"The goal was when we evaluated our team, we knew that we had to get better and get better in the event if it meant taking a minor step back, then we were prepared to do it," Regier said. "It still allows us a run at the playoffs -- we are all aware of the odds against us -- but I think with Cody coming in, he will give us a good boost in the offensive side. We certainly lose Gaus' competitiveness, his size and thickness and his ability to play against the other team's top line, but we really felt going forward, with his pending unrestricted free agency, we needed to address the center position, the offense and the opportunity to get a young man like Cody."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=619491

Source? Buffalo were 14th in the East at the deadline and were selling players like Gaustad for picks. They weren't pushing for the playoffs. The trade could have been done in the offseason.

They were six points out of 8th place and finished 3 points out.

"The goal was when we evaluated our team, we knew that we had to get better and get better in the event if it meant taking a minor step back, then we were prepared to do it," Regier said. "It still allows us a run at the playoffs -- we are all aware of the odds against us -- but I think with Cody coming in, he will give us a good boost in the offensive side. We certainly lose Gaus' competitiveness, his size and thickness and his ability to play against the other team's top line, but we really felt going forward, with his pending unrestricted free agency, we needed to address the center position, the offense and the opportunity to get a young man like Cody."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=619491

teeheehee

sounded like Feaster did when he suggested Cammalleri was going to send his team on a playoff run...

Similar result.

What's funny is that Regehr changed his tune and was still looking very hard after realizing that perhaps Hodgson was not prepared to improve his club quite so dramatically.

"It's tough to know what will be available, but if we can find the right centerman it would help."

not this topic again...

Kassian has shown he has the potential - shown during the first few games on the canucks where he hit, made room for line-mates, was a nasty sob and scored. Not everyone can play like he did those first 2-3 games. Small sample, but true.

And he has shown he doesn't know how to use that potential. Just like so many young kids.

Time will tell. Certainly Hodgson was more mature. I think Kassian has a larger upside if he gets his head on right. But that is an if.

They were six points out of 8th place and finished 3 points out.

The Sabres tore it up after the deadline and just finished short. They were playing horrendously before the deadline (don't remember how many points out they were but I believe it was more than 6).

If the Sabres were going for a playoff spot, they wouldn't have traded Gaustad away for picks. Hodgson was a pick-up for the future, not for last season. The Sabres would've tried to add more players instead of selling.

Regier wouldn't blatantly say that they were going to tank. I don't recall a general manager ever saying that the playoffs weren't a goal. The moves made by Regier at the deadline proved that they were building for the future, not the present.

Shouldn't he start producing in the AHL, first?

Compare him with past power forward prospects at the same age and I'd say he's on par. Jesus Canuck fans have to learn to have patience with prospects. I remember how many people were calling Cody a bust because of his injury problems and lack of production in the AHL when he eventually did play for the moose. People were saying we would've been better off drafting Beach! Have patience, Kassian's potential is there. Will he out point Hodgson in his career? No, they're two different players and the type of player Kassian could be(yes I know, COULD) is the exact type of player the Canucks need.

Are you like 12 years old?

Sister?

Oh that hurts- the always self-righteous Mr Sensitive has expanded his repertoire - instead of ceaselessly playing the victim card, he also resorts to belittling younger people and girls - as usual, raising the level of etiquette here on CDC.

I'd feel worse about myself, but I don't take suggestions like that as an effective insult - I don't look down on girls and women.

Actually, you just put me in a class with the Sedins.

Much appreciated.

The Sabres tore it up after the deadline and just finished short. They were playing horrendously before the deadline (don't remember how many points out they were but I believe it was more than 6).

If the Sabres were going for a playoff spot, they wouldn't have traded Gaustad away for picks. Hodgson was a pick-up for the future, not for last season. The Sabres would've tried to add more players instead of selling.

Regier wouldn't blatantly say that they were going to tank. I don't recall a general manager ever saying that the playoffs weren't a goal. The moves made by Regier at the deadline proved that they were building for the future, not the present.

As a follower of the Sabres, they picked up Cody for the future and the immediate offense he was hopefully going to provide. Gaustad was not much for offense.

Shouldn't hurt when you post answers such as " teeheehee".

I am referring to you as a woman,obviously.Well,not yet a woman.

The NHL is a man's league so you will have to wait for another era,which is appropriate.

Then you will have to learn not to knock your team mates or those that you have played against.

How have you not been banned yet?

Archived