The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Multiple Warning Signs Surrounding Zack Kassian

King of the ES

Now that Kassian's essentially played the same amount of games in the AHL this season as he did last, I thought I'd have a look at the numbers to see how exactly he's "developing" (generous term).

WARNING: this ain't pretty

2011-12: 30 GP, 15 G, 26 P, +4, 94 SOG, 31 PIM

2012-13: 28 GP, 6 G, 18 P, -1, 72 SOG, 59 PIM

By my calculations, this amounts to the following data comparatives:

• 60% year-over-year reduction in goals
  • 31% year-over-year reduction in points
  • 18% year-over-year reduction in SOG/game
  • 90% year-over-year increase in PIMs.

And, to be honest, the two things that are of the most concern to me are the decline in SOG and the increase in PIM. There's really no explanation for getting less SOG as a 22 year-old AHL sophomore than as a 21 year-old AHL rookie. And this SOG figure is even inflated, as Kass did have 7 SOG last game, bringing up his average significantly.

And while it's nice that he does seem willing to throw the body, at times, and drop the gloves, at times, I really hope that we didn't trade Cody Hodgson for a bottom-six goon that will be lucky to get 5 - 10 goals per year in limited minutes. I'm beginning to wonder if Kassian has a bit of "Kyle Beach" in him; capable of so much, too stupid to realize it and in the penalty box way, way too much.

Let's not forget that Kassian was hand held by the Sedin's in the off-season to try and get his training habits in shape (not a good sign), and even went on to be a healthy scratch in 1 (or more, I'm not sure) game, also (clearly) not a good sign.

Who else is concerned?

Didn't read any of the thread after the first post. Was it good?

complex.jpg

My god people, the guy scored one goal and all of a sudden he's a superstar and the OP is wrong.

Does no one remember how much fail he was last year? He did jack squat and in fact, there were a couple of times where he fracked things up for the team.

This seems to happen all the time. We get a fail player, a fan makes a thread outlining his fail, all the people agree with him then a few years down the line where they finally score a goal people bump back up the old thread to flame the OP about how wrong he was 5 years ago.

You guys aren't much better than the so called "bandwagoners" that you hate. There was the Rome bandwagon last year... well whatever happened to that? Yea that's right. Nothing. Fail as always.

Well... this isn't 5 years old. It was posted at the beginning of the AHL season.

Kassian hasn't scored just one goal. He has been arguably our best player consistently for the first 4 games.

I'm not sure what the point of your post is.

Are you agreeing with King, or are you some sort of martyr of negativity here to bring us all back down to earth, or are you just here to try and sound better than everyone, because you don't participate in early season excitement for fear of being let down?

Pick a side, but don't play "holier than thou".

"And while it's nice that he does seem willing to throw the body, at times, and drop the gloves, at times, I really hope that we didn't trade Cody Hodgson for a bottom-six goon that will be lucky to get 5 - 10 goals per year in limited minutes." King

Prior to Kassian's placement with two of the league's superstars I think this sentiment is fair.

Nobody here knew how Zach would respond in the NHL,especially after being benched at the AHL level.

In tonight's game Hansen was placed with the twins ,which seemed to wake up Kassian.Up until that point in time he was not standing out.

That had nothing to do with a "wake up call"........it was getting players ice time after all the powerplays. Quit trying to make something out of nothing. Kassian was good from the drop of the puck to end of the game, again.

As far as his hockey IQ without the puck (another poster) goes, I think he's very intelligent without the puck.

Well... this isn't 5 years old. It was posted at the beginning of the AHL season.

Kassian hasn't scored just one goal. He has been arguably our best player consistently for the first 4 games.

Are you agreeing with King, or are you some sort of martyr of negativity here to bring us all back down to earth, or are you just here to try and sound better than everyone, because you don't participate in early season excitement for fear of being let down?

All of these people posting negative comments about Kass are just cody nut huggers that are still sour about the trade. When cody was playing well last year everyone was so supportive and happy about it.. Now that our boy Zack is playing well this year who is a year behind cody in development not everyone wants to show him the love? Do these people forget that in codys first year he was useless.. Players need time to develop and there are going to be a lot of ups and downs along the way. Kassian is our most consistent and best player right now Imo. All these kids who have a hard on for cody want Zack to fail so they can all say see it was a bad trade and we should of kept our beloved cody. Well you know what kids cody didn't want to be here and Zack does. Cody is never coming back and Zack is here to stay. Stop being a bunch of sucks and support your players and the team or else get lost. And just for the record I was a huge fan of this trade because Zack has a lot of talent and potential to be one of the best power forwards in this league. He brings much more to the table than Cody does or ever will. Our team needs a guy like Zack. He's a team player and is willing to fulfill whatever roll to help this team win and not bitch and complain about ice time like some other punk we all know. Also if I was MG and had the chance to make this trade again I would do it everyday and twice on sunday.

I hated the trade when it came down, but have come around since. Kass brings a lot to his game. He obviously has good hands (sure he plays with the Sedins, so did Taylor Pyatt). He skates well and his passes are very good. His physical style will have a lasting effect on the team. Let's face it, the Nucks have been pushed around mightily in the past and there has been very little push back. Already I am hearing fans of other teams worring about Zack 'hurting" their players. I was glad to see other Nuck players physical last night. I don't want Kass to have to fight every night. He not a goon and needs to be wise about who he fights. Decking guys like Eager has a much greater effect on other teams. That one fight has other teams paying attention.

Does anyone else feel that Kassians IQ without the puck doesn't seem that great? Feels like he's floating in the wrong areas most of the time.

I do think he needs a little work to do. He is really aware of where other guys are and makes great passes, that shows a real hockey IQ.

I agree that he doesn't yet have a solid awareness of where to place himself when plays are developing and he isn't carrying the puck. I think you can cut him a littler slack though as he has only been playing with the twins a few games. They play a different style than anyone in the league so I suspect it takes some adjustment to become the third twin.

Can't argue with his success so far though!

Glad to see things working out for Zack so far in this young season. All the CoHo lovers are so concerned about our 2nd line center situation right now. The trade is all that is in their little minds. What do people think would happen when Kesler gets back? Cody is dropped to the 3rd line. Cody is not a protypical shut down 3rd line centerman. He needs to play with a set of skilled wingers. Cody was not going to fit here. He knew it, AV knew it, MG knew it. The only people who didn't know it were his beloved fan base.

Remember Zack is only 22. Wait till he plays a couple hundred games in this league. He will dominate any defensman down low and his hands will only get better. I honestly think this kid will be better than Milan Lucic. Put him with the Sedins until they retire and watch him take over this league. What I love about him is that he is not scared of anyone. We have finally found someone who doesn't show the oppositions best players any respect. The Sedin's have gone through too much BS and it's time for us to push back. Even if it means dropping RNH with a heavy hit or poppin Anze Kopitar with an after whistle left hook. it's time to stop hiding behind the refs, hoping for a power play to win the game. Let's win it on our terms.

Duncan Keith better keep his head up. Cause if I'm Zack Kassin, I'm making sure he pays.

Glad to see things working out for Zack so far in this young season. All the CoHo lovers are so concerned about our 2nd line center situation right now. The trade is all that is in their little minds. What do people think would happen when Kesler gets back? Cody is dropped to the 3rd line. Cody is not a protypical shut down 3rd line centerman. He needs to play with a set of skilled wingers. Cody was not going to fit here. He knew it, AV knew it, MG knew it. The only people who didn't know it were his beloved fan base.

Remember Zack is only 22. Wait till he plays a couple hundred games in this league. He will dominate any defensman down low and his hands will only get better. I honestly think this kid will be better than Milan Lucic. Put him with the Sedins until they retire and watch him take over this league. What I love about him is that he is not scared of anyone. We have finally found someone who doesn't show the oppositions best players any respect. The Sedin's have gone through too much BS and it's time for us to push back. Even if it means dropping RNH with a heavy hit or poppin Anze Kopitar with an after whistle left hook. it's time to stop hiding behind the refs, hoping for a power play to win the game. Let's win it on our terms.

Duncan Keith better keep his head up. Cause if I'm Zack Kassin, I'm making sure he pays.

Agree with everything you said, but just because he plays like bertuzzi...doesn't mean he should act like him...a big power forward making another guy ''pay'' for taking a cheap shot on our star player....I've seen this before....Let's not go there.

But just think, this kid is only 22 and doesn't back down from anyone. Think of when this kid becomes a man with a nasty edge? He's going to be a force.

Guest Gumballthechewy

But it was a pretty nice goal... :)

I would agree that he had a fairly quiet night compared to some of the previous games. He had a few good physical shifts, and got some Ducks focused on him rather than his linemates.

On the whole, I was happy with him.

regards,

G.

Agreed. But, managed to contribute.

Yeah, at least he scored even though he wasn't overly physical.

That's what I like about him, if he isn't being physical least he can score and vise versa.

If you have been watching the Canucks for a while, then you should know that whoever plays with the Sedins normally is successful. Past has shown that players who don't have offensive talent yet paired with the Sedins set career high in points, because the Sedins are just that talented. Some players who were successful in the past Jason King who really wasn't that good, but the Sedins made him look better then he was. Taylor Pyatt who also set career highs, who was never offensively talented looked much better on paper then he was, Steve Bernier another player who just wasn't strong enough to be good enough with the Sedins.

Anson Carter who was a good fit with the Sedins, because he had some size and caused havoc in front of the net, which allowed the Sedins more space and time to generate offence, and this is who I kinda compare Kassian to. Ever since the Anson Carter days the Sedins really haven't had a big body presence on their line, and I always felt the Sedins look better with a player like that on their line, and to why I always wanted a Bertuzzi or a Rick Nash to be their line mates.

Then there was Burrows, one of the hardest working players I ever saw, was not that offensively talented, but played with heart. He seemed to click with the Sedins of course, and points were starting to rise, but the only downfall was he wasn't that big to be matching up with oppositions top D in front of the net to allow the Sedins the space they needed to cycle the puck. This is what I saw change in Burrows, he adapted to make the line work better, he knew he couldn't be in front of the net, so he found a way to work into the Sedins cycle which would cause the D to be more out of place. I was shocked to see how nicely he picked up with Sedins plays in the cycle which benefited them all. I think Burrows is the only player so far I have seen who has played with the Sedins, and wasn't that offensively talented, but become a better offensive player out of all the players who have played with the Sedins. I still always believed the Sedins would be better off with a more bigger player.

Cherry shares his advice for Zack Kassian on 'Coaches corner'.

Apparently has very little idea what kind of player this young man is.

Figures Zack shouldn't start thinking he's Guy Lafleur.

"Remember why you're there" Cherry tells him (ie. to play Semenko for the Twins).

:rolleyes:

Archived