The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Multiple Warning Signs Surrounding Zack Kassian

King of the ES

"Speechless", yes, but that's because I was banned and unable to post.

I still don't know why so many seem to think that I'm rooting for Kassian to fail. If you actually read the post, I am simply stating concern that his year-over-year production in the AHL had declined. Please explain why this is such a preposterous question to ask.

One thing that I will say, though, is that Zack Kassian's 5 goals come off of just 15 shots. That is a shooting percentage that is simply not sustainable. I would not bet on this hot start continuing, unless he starts to become a lot more involved in the offense than what he's shown to date. Let's be honest - 3 of his 5 goals have been effective empty-netters. Kudos to him for being in the right spot, at the right time, but I expect a significant pullback in his goals as a fan.

:lol:

Oh, you are the go-to guy for comedy King.

And he has scored one empty net goal - not because the goaltender had been pulled - but because Kipprusoff bit so hard on Kassian's deke that he wound up in the face off circle searching for his jock

But then again, that one doesn't count in his (2nd in the NHL goalscoring) stats anyhow.

And he has scored one empty net goal - not because the goaltender had been pulled - but because Kipprusoff bit so hard on Kassian's deke that he wound up in the face off circle searching for his jock But that one doesn't count in his stats anyhow.

Last night's goal was an empty-net tap-in, thanks to a perfect pass by Hamhuis.

The one where he scored - at a tough angle, yes - on the PP when Hank dished it to him perfectly, was a wide open net.

And then the goal where the rebound bounced off his chest to his stick (Calgary?), was a wide open net.

Anyway, not to be nit-picky, but these are the facts. 5 goals on 15 shots suggests to me that he's had quite a bit of puck luck to start off the season.

The one where he scored - at a tough angle, yes - on the PP when Hank dished it to him perfectly, was a wide open net.

And then the goal where the rebound bounced off his chest to his stick (Calgary?), was a wide open net.

Anyway, not to be nit-picky, but these are the facts. 5 goals on 15 shots suggests to me that he's had quite a bit of puck luck to start off the season.

GG NAB

To build on this - if he were to even get 1 goal on his next 15 shots, he would still have one of the highest shooting percentages in the league.

So basically, yes, good for him for getting these goals, he has been surprisingly good. But there is still offensive weakness in the background, in the form of a lack of SOG. The guy had 1 SOG last night - while playing on the top line. It wouldn't surprise me for Zack to go through a long dry spell without scoring (and no, that's not what I want to happen).

While you're at it, would you care to give us a review of Hodgson's goals. ::D

To build on this - if he were to even get 1 goal on his next 15 shots, he would still have one of the highest shooting percentages in the league.

So basically, yes, good for him for getting these goals, he has been surprisingly good. But there is still offensive weakness in the background, in the form of a lack of SOG. The guy had 1 SOG last night - while playing on the top line. It wouldn't surprise me for Zack to go through a long dry spell without scoring (and no, that's not what I want to happen).

You simply don't know when to just stop, do you.

Guest Gumballthechewy

It wouldn't surprise me for Zack to go through a long dry spell without scoring (and no, that's not what I want to happen).

The only people who would be surprised by that are delusional fanboys.

The Sedins went five games without even a point last year and they're elite players.

I'd be surprised if Kassian continues at this pace. And this is coming from a guy who loves this kid.

Two things stand out:

1) Kass is the go-to-guy in front of the net, so a lot of his goals will appear "garbage goals" ..but let us not discount what effort and strength of mind and body it takes to get into position in front of the net and be effective there

2) Since Kass scores at such a high percentage there are not many rebounds available for the Twins to deposit, thus earning him assists ..

Kassian is developing nicely .. seems he is motivated to play at an elite level and not wile away his time in the AHL .. show me an AHL star and I will show you a marginal NHL'er, for the most part ..

This kid continues to impress. If there's one thing that stands out as a point of "concern" is that he has yet to tally an assist.

regards,

G.

was thinking the same thing, was thinking if he doesn't get a goal please get an assist..

but they will come he does like to pass.

I still don't know why so many seem to think that I'm rooting for Kassian to fail. If you actually read the post, I am simply stating concern that his year-over-year production in the AHL had declined. Please explain why this is such a preposterous question to ask.

One thing that I will say, though, is that Zack Kassian's 5 goals come off of just 15 shots. That is a shooting percentage that is simply not sustainable. I would not bet on this hot start continuing, unless he starts to become a lot more involved in the offense than what he's shown to date. Let's be honest - 3 of his 5 goals have been effective empty-netters. Kudos to him for being in the right spot, at the right time, but I expect a significant pullback in his goals as a fan.

I agree that the lack of assists is a little concerning... 2 positives are that he isn't relying on the Sedins for his goals (they've only assisted on 2 of them) and Kass is adding intangibles to the line that make up for any concerns. Once the Sedins play like we know they can play, Zack will be the immediate beneficiary... I'd be pleased with 10 - 15 goals, but I suspect it will be higher. One of many intangibles that Zack brings is the confidence he brings out in the Sedins... they are throwing their weight around a bit more.

We all know Zack can pass, so he should also help the Sedins when they get their touch back....

So...King of ES,

Zacks shooting percentages might not be sustainable, but his hot start streak might continue. As soon as the twins find their Sedinery, I suspect Zack to receive a lot of little gifts for an easy tap in. Every player we've put up with the Sedins has inflated their points due to the direct correlation it has with the Sedins points, Kass hasn't yet. Kass only had 2 helpers from the Sedins on his 5 goals and the the Sedins have only 2 goals combined (Daniel with both of them). The Sedins will be more productive in his goal totals and I suspect his assists will also rise drastically when the Sedins start to score... he might not get goals at the same rate, but his total points should be impressive.

To correct you, the only stat "that is simply not sustainable" is the Sedins keeping their point totals at this level throughout the season.

Please don't tell me that over 50% of goals are scored because of pulling a one man show and deking out everyone to score.

Most goals are scored like that.

Kassian will slow down his goal scoring pace (he is not a 50 goal guy), but the question is by how much? Will he be a Jason King/Jeff Tambellini and all of a sudden go ice cold? or will he score 10 goals his first 18 games followed up by a reasonable 5 or 6 goals in 30 games?

At this point, anything below 10 goals would be a disappointment (based on his start). 10-15 goals would be at or above expectations, 15-20 would be good/very good and 20+ would be phenomenal.

Bert would have had to look him in the eye to do that so that's a non starter.

...and comparing Kas to Bert is ridiculous; at Zach's age Bert had been sent to the minors by the lowly Isles THREE seperate times. Plus Zach actually FIGHTS.

I watched the game, and distinctly remember Bert chasing Moore. Trying to get him to fight, several times. Before he ended up burrying him. Whether Bert looked him square in the eyes, niether of us has a clue. I believe he did.

The comparrison of Kassian to Bertuzzi is fair. Obviously they're not clones... Bertuzzi was the dominant power-forward in the leauge for several seasons. I believe Kassian will be as-well. Bertuzzi did fight as you imply he didn't, and layed monstrous hits. I believe Zack is fighting alot right now to establish himself in the league. If Kassian becomes as productive as Bertuzzi was in his prime, I'd prefer Kassian not to fight scrubs like he is now. Save the fights for other skilled dominant players.

Start with the first one please

Yeah - don't mean to nit pick or anything King, but he kicked it in - the second bounced off his arm... and the third in a 6-3 loss in which Carolina's centers feasted on the matchup. All of Kassian's were off his stick and showed great hand eye - as you mentioned a sharp angle, a chest to stick, a tap in with a stick and man right on him, and bang in on a blind feed from Daniel, a move that Datsyuk would be proud of on Kipper - truly nothing empty net, fluky, or gimme about any of his goals.

Keep working it though.

All of Kassian's were off his stick and showed great hand eye - as you mentioned a sharp angle, a chest to stick, a tap in with a stick and man right on him, and bang in on a blind feed from Daniel, a move that Datsyuk would be proud of on Kipper - truly nothing empty net, fluky, or gimme about any of his goals.

Keep working it though.

Mm-hmm, so Cody's goals are all flukes, huh?

Here's a question - how many goals would Kassian have on the 3rd line and playing 11 minutes per game? Interesting that guys like you go on and on about how "sheltered" Cody's minutes were here, yet Zack Kassian has been spoon-fed a spot alongside Daniel & Henrik Sedin. Explain that one.

Mm-hmm, so Cody's goals are all flukes, huh?

Here's a question - how many goals would Kassian have on the 3rd line and playing 11 minutes per game? Interesting that guys like you go on and on about how "sheltered" Cody's minutes were here, yet Zack Kassian has been spoon-fed a spot alongside Daniel & Henrik Sedin. Explain that one.

Probably 3 since he would most likely get pp time still, same as Cody and he's getting first line minutes with Vanek and Pom ;).

Archived