The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Multiple Warning Signs Surrounding Zack Kassian

King of the ES

I've gone on record saying many times that Kassian as a player has been massively over-hyped and is at best a career AHLer but I do see the need to point out that Scott Arniel is one of the worst coaches in recent NHL history. So while neither of our two "big" prospects have been all that great this year (Schroeder and Kassian) I think it's fair to say under a capable coaching staff they might actually be a little bit better than their current stats would indicate. Regardless I'm not at all surprised Kassian isn't lighting it up though I thought Shroeder would be doing a lot better.

Three players I'm very happy to see doing well: Tanev, Ebbet, and Pinnizzotto.

Kassian isn't someone who will be relied upon for scoring in the NHL. He will be a 3rd liner in Chris Neil's mold. I've been saying it since the trade, we have a solid 3rd liner who will take the body and drop the gloves when needed. If he turns out to be a Chris Neil type of player I'd be happy.

Fan boys think Kassian is the 2nd coming of Shanahan. Some have compared him to Bertuzzi. That is not going to happen. Bert scored 46 goals and 97 points in a year.

Does anyone go into OTT and mess around with their stars? No. Because Neil could take a regular shift and keep you in line. Canucks desperately need a Neil, too bad Kassian is still a couple of years away from being that guy. They also had Carkner who cleaned your clock out for going after his teammates.

Hodgson is always going to outscore Kassian. They are completely different players.

Trying to predict point totals of a player or what kind of player they'll become is ridiculous. There's really no basis for it. The only thing you can do is follow them where they are now. Nobody's a fortune teller.

Bertuzzi didn't even look like he would be a star at 22. He had bust written all over him. That's why it's silly to try and limit what a player will become at this age. There's tons of great players that were never projected to be stars.

Nice try. Cody played 13 games in 2009-10. Not exactly a reliable sample size, let alone considering the fact that he was playing with a busted-up back that was misdiagnosed by your Vancouver Canucks.

Cody's AHL production this year, thus far, by the way, is far higher than what it was in 2010-11.

So it's proven, you aren't a fan of the team.

You've made several statements in this thread that demonstrate trolling.

It needs to stop.

I don't believe so. He hates Gillis enough that Mike could cure AIDS and still want him fired for trading Cody. Regardless, it's a different opinion and I don't see that as trolling.

Also, I don't believe that allows for the flaming in response either from some other posters in this very thread.

Trying to predict point totals of a player or what kind of player they'll become is ridiculous. There's really no basis for it. The only thing you can do is follow them where they are now. Nobody's a fortune teller.

Bertuzzi didn't even look like he would be a star at 22. He had bust written all over him. That's why it's silly to try and limit what a player will become at this age. There's tons of great players that were never projected to be stars.

And a ton of projected stars that turned out to be busts. Just let him play and we will see how he works out, but putting to much undeserved pressure on him is a sure way for him to look like a bust.

Edit: I know your not putting pressure and talking him up, that was directed to people in general.

im still not sold on kassian. i think it was a bad trade BUT...who really cares what I think.

I would love to be proven wrong, and I hope kassian becomes a superstar...i just dont think thats going to happen (but thats just me)

edit: that being said...let him get a full season of NHL hockey in...or 2..or 3 before we write the guy off

What a stupid thread. This is breaking balls for the sake of breaking balls and King of the BS does this plenty. He's played 27 games -- slightly more than 1/4 of the season and we're complaining about his production and how he's appearing to be a bust? That's like getting your report card after one week of school and people coming to the conclusion you're a stupid twit who's going to fail the grade because you underachieved on a math test.

So I guess you didn't put any stock into the fact that Kassian had 15 goals and 26 points in 30 AHL games last season, at the time of his acquisition? I recall his AHL production being referenced many times by Gillis as an important factor in the decision.

He's not a bust.

Patrick White? Now THAT'S a bust.

Who said "bust"? Not me.

Heaven forbid somebody referencing an alleged high-end prospect's declining year-over-year numbers. *GASP*, what a troll.

Why is it that anything that isn't rah-rah Canucks gets automatically labeled as trolling? Nowhere have I said that Kassian is a bust. These warning signs are worthy of discussion, though.

Archived