The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Multiple Warning Signs Surrounding Zack Kassian

King of the ES

ES i can only imagine how annoying you are in real life... I am guessing you probably watch the games alone. Hodgeson is a good player and he probably will have a higher PPG in his career.... But he didn't want to be here, he did not fit on any of our top two lines so we traded for the type of player that this team needed... I don't want hodgeson to flop, i don't really care if he does or does not... because i am a canucks fan i really just care if the canucks do well... and they are doing well... so stop complaining... Though i am sure it is just your nature and that will never happen

Don't tell him that because now its all Gillis and that incompetent management team. I mean what were they thinking not giving Mr. Hodgson 60 minutes of ice time!

Oh yeah, I'm sure that's the reason. :rolleyes:

Dale Weise also surely would be leading this team in points if he was on the 1st line, but since Daniel Sedin isn't very effective in a bottom-six checking role, Dale will never be able to get those plum minutes on the top line.

Keep dreaming.

:lol:

Did you actually just make a Daniel Sedin & Dale Weise comparison in reference to Cody Hodgson & Zack Kassian.

LOL, That one gave me a good laugh.

Cody will never be as good as Daniel and Zack is already a much better player than Weise.

Nice try though. :lol:

Yes, I watched the game. He seemed weak and uninterested in it -- he didn't put up much of any pressure in the forecheck and was otherwise invisible in the offensive zone. He was decent defensively (save a few nasty turnovers), but that doesn't mean he had a very good game.

One play usually won't make a game and any forward would've given their stick away to a defender that needed it. Plus he kinda screwed up and didn't give his stick to Garrison as soon as he should have.

You did watch the all-important Higgins goal, rigtht? Did you happen to notice how Kassian drew the defender away from Higgins giving him the space and opportunity to tip Lappy's shot? Without Kassian slipping in the back door to do that, Higgins is covered and it's an easy save.

You need to broaden your viewing skills.

Can't believe people are being critical of Zack's play last night. He didn't give up his stick right away? Really? :sadno:

He didn't get a point? :shock:

He's 22 yrs old folks. Cut him some slack. He isn't going to get a point a game, play physical ever night, fight all the time. Throughout the season, you will probably see him playing on all 4 lines, which makes him a 2-way player.

He will make mistakes. That's what young guys do when they are developing as players.

The Higgy, Lapierre, Kassian line looked awesome last night. Kass is solid defensively and has great hockey sense. His passing is exceptional and he has very good puck possession abilities. He obviously can pot some goals as well.

All that and he hasn't even had a full season in the NHL. :towel:

Of course they were :rolleyes:

When Kassian fed it to Justin Schultz in the slot, only to be bailed out by Luongo, who's fault was that?

Actually, alot probably were.

I have watched alot of Buffalo games (Bought Center Ice since I wanted to see first-hand what is going on with some other teams) and he makes alot of bad defensive plays, you can really see his slow footspeed is an issue defensively now that he is being counted on in a defensive role.

He is playing along side the hottest player in the NHL right now, and he is picking up points, but his defensive play has been lackluster. Once Vanek cools off and Cody's points start coming at a lesser pace, I wouldn't be surprised if he got moved down, he isn't strong enough yet defensively to be a #1 center.

Not trying to be anti-Cody. This is just the fact of the matter, not personal opinion.

True enough. If anyone goes to the Buffalo site and reviews the videos of the scoring plays for each game, you can see many instances of Hodgson coming in to the defensive zone late (ie. he is slow), or someone skates around him (with little to no attempt at checking on Hodgson's part). or he gets checked off the puck, or he is just careless.

I'm surprised that Hodgson has not scored more points than he has playing with Vanek and Pominville. From a number of the goals which that line has scored, it appears to be that the wingers are what makes that line work while Hodgson is a completely replaceable part and may well be once Grigorenko gets his feet under him, or the Sabres trade for another center.

I'm starting to see it as a Sedin line situation prior to them getting Burrows. ATM Hodgson might be Anson Carter or Steve Bernier?

I agree with this post completely, I don't think he will be like Bernier or Carter, I think he will be a good 2nd line center, but if he doesn't elstablish that niece soon and show he will be really useful for them, he may very well be replaced long term, as they have alot of depth in young centers. (Ennis, Grigorenko, Girgensons, Catenacci)

Riiiiiiight.

Vanek's production had dropped in both 2010-11 and 2011-12. He was firmly entrenched in the "awful contract" category. Pominville has also never been a PPG player. 3-year average of ~60. You really think that Cody has nothing to do with their hot starts?

As for Grigorenko, he has been useless. Barely getting 1 shot per game.

I know that you, and many on this site, are cheering for Cody to flop, but it's just not going to happen. He is simply too good. "Replaceable part". :lol:

Vanek has traditionally been a hot starter, then cooled off, we will see if the same will happen this year. And he only has that big contract because Edmonton offersheeted him, and Buffalo was forced to match.

Not sure how Grigorenko is useless, did u even watch the WJ? That's a glimpse of what he can be. He has looked decent, better than anything you can read of the stat sheet. He has a higher ceiling than Cody now IMO.

Oh and if you think he is useless as a rookie, then that means Cody was completely worthless when he first stepped into the league, as from watching both Grigorenko has looked better.

Guest Gumballthechewy

You did watch the all-important Higgins goal, rigtht? Did you happen to notice how Kassian drew the defender away from Higgins giving him the space and opportunity to tip Lappy's shot? Without Kassian slipping in the back door to do that, Higgins is covered and it's an easy save.

You need to broaden your viewing skills.

Yeah, there's a lot more to hockey than just stats...

Actually, alot probably were.

I have watched alot of Buffalo games (Bought Center Ice since I wanted to see first-hand what is going on with some other teams) and he makes alot of bad defensive plays, you can really see his slow footspeed is an issue defensively now that he is being counted on in a defensive role.

He is playing along side the hottest player in the NHL right now, and he is picking up points, but his defensive play has been lackluster. Once Vanek cools off and Cody's points start coming at a lesser pace, I wouldn't be surprised if he got moved down, he isn't strong enough yet defensively to be a #1 center.

Not trying to be anti-Cody. This is just the fact of the matter, not personal opinion.

I agree with this post completely, I don't think he will be like Bernier or Carter, I think he will be a good 2nd line center, but if he doesn't elstablish that niece soon and show he will be really useful for them, he may very well be replaced long term, as they have alot of depth in young centers. (Ennis, Grigorenko, Girgensons, Catenacci)

Vanek has traditionally been a hot starter, then cooled off, we will see if the same will happen this year. And he only has that big contract because Edmonton offersheeted him, and Buffalo was forced to match.

Not sure how Grigorenko is useless, did u even watch the WJ? That's a glimpse of what he can be. He has looked decent, better than anything you can read of the stat sheet. He has a higher ceiling than Cody now IMO.

Oh and if you think he is useless as a rookie, then that means Cody was completely worthless when he first stepped into the league, as from watching both Grigorenko has looked better.

Hey smashian! I'm playing the kassassin TM card here;)

Riiiiiiight.

Vanek's production had dropped in both 2010-11 and 2011-12. He was firmly entrenched in the "awful contract" category. Pominville has also never been a PPG player. 3-year average of ~60. You really think that Cody has nothing to do with their hot starts?

I believe Vanek and Pominville produce despite Hodgson being on their line. Even on the Buffalo forums there isn't a huge number who believe he is a number one center. About the only reason he is there is because they don't have anyone else.

May want to double check your facts on Vanek's production as he is no stranger to productive seasons. In 2010 - 11 his production went up from the previous year to end up being his second highest career total. The following year did see a drop off by twelve points, however he still scored 26g and 35a. I'm assuming you mis-read the columns to achieve your two consecutive years drop in production.

You are correct in saying that Pominville has never been a PPG player, however, he was *very* close a few years ago when he scored 80. He also scored 73 just last season, an increase of 21 points from his previous year. Do you suppose this increase in his production was due to Buffalo's acquisition of Hodgson?

FUN FACT: Vanek was -3 +/- after the Sabres picked up Hodgson, while Pominville was -5. I'm sure that these facts aren't connected with the acquisition of Hodgson.

Something else I find interesting is that Hodgson's production (until *very* recently) was so far behind that of his linemates. Do you suppose it was just bad puck-luck, or were all of the official scorers conspiring to hold Hodgson off of the sheet? This being said, one area where I do see an obvious effect of Hodgson's play is that one winger has 21 points but has only +5 +/-, while the other winger has 14 pts and is 0 +/-. As of writing this, Hodgson has a mere 10 pts and is -3. Ennis has only 9pts, and is +1. I suspect that if he was a bit better in the face-off circle, and grew another 3" and put on about 40 pounds then he would the 1C. Hodgson: 1C at Buffalo because of potential, or merely because they don't have anyone else?

As for Grigorenko, he has been useless. Barely getting 1 shot per game.

Yeah, and that's why I included that, "...gets his feet under him." comment. Perhaps you didn't read that far. He's a very young rookie, and the only reason he is up with the Sabres is because they don't really have anyone else. Notice a theme here with the "can't get anyone else" comments?

I know that you, and many on this site, are cheering for Cody to flop, but it's just not going to happen. He is simply too good. "Replaceable part".

Well, you would be wrong in saying that I am cheering for Hodgson to flop. I wish the kid well in his career, unless he's playing against the Canucks. What I do comment against is where people put massive expectations on him, and freak out on others who do not share their unrealistic views.

As to Hodgson not flopping, you know this how? He certainly hasn't shown a lot, something which has been commented on even by the Buffalo fans. As to him being "simply too good", go back and re-read the above paragraph where I comment on "massive expectations" and "unrealistic views".

Hodgson has not shown himself to be indispensible to the Sabres. He is a replaceable part, and the only reason he hasn't been shifted from the top line is because the Sabres don't have anyone else. You don't see this? Look harder, chum.

regards,

G.

My point. :)

Right now Buffalo doesn't have anything to replace Hodgson so they are making do and hoping for the best. Maybe there will be some success, but I do not see Hodgson as being a long term fixture on Buffalo's 1st line.

regards,

G.

My point. :)

Right now Buffalo doesn't have anything to replace Hodgson so they are making do and hoping for the best. Maybe there will be some success, but I do not see Hodgson as being a long term fixture on Buffalo's 1st line.

No I don't either, that is likely to be Grigorenko's one day.

Perhaps he can slot in on the 2nd, then move Ennis to Wing, but you have to wonder about Girgensons, he was a pretty high pick too.

Edit: Great post above to King, +1

Everyone who still has the Cody glasses on seems to still be living back in the Junior days, when he was a star and was a projected #1 center.

He just isn't the same player, and he just doesn't have the same upside as people once saw, but some people haven't laid off this, and continue to pile on massive and unrealistic expectations like they are totally achievable rather than noticing the huge margins for error in there theories.

even without the sedins he seems to be playing the game the right way

I think he actually showed all the things last season that he's brought this season albeit in varied roles with few minutes and without the goals - discipline/measured aggression, good vision and passing, backchecks responsibly, goes to the net, cycles the puck very well, makes good decisions consistently...

Some crazy talk goin on in here...

Grigorenko is an 18 year old folks - don't be so ridiculous as to be judging him at this point.

That's the thing about the Sabres - they have a handful of young centers who are talented (including Hodgson) but are in way over their head. You can't simply make up for being so inexperienced up the middle. They are going to struggle hard at times no matter how good Vanek, Pominville etc play, which is why I think the Roy deal was a bit of a head scratcher. Ott as far as I'm concerned was one of the most hyped assets at the trade deadline - but ask yourself why Niewendyk was so keen to move him. He's a third liner imo - and I'm more than thankful he didn't wind up in Vancouver.

Up the middle, Buffalo has a couple third line centers and a bunch of youngsters they are expecting too much of.

Everyone who still has the Cody glasses on seems to still be living back in the Junior days, when he was a star and was a projected #1 center.

Phaneuf's junior career means he is a top 5 D man, and Cody's junior career makes him a top line center, and Pajaarvi's rookie season means we would have to offer Luongo+ to get him.

Didn't you know?

Oh yeah, and we're going to miss the playoffs.

Phaneuf's junior career means he is a top 5 D man, and Cody's junior career makes him a top line center, and Pajaarvi's rookie season means we would have to offer Luongo+ to get him.

Didn't you know?

Yeah same with Angelo Espositio, isn't he a top line forward aswell?

What team does he play for? Atlanta still?

Didn't you know?

Calgary is probably going to win the division as well dontchaknow

Didn't you know?

Oh thank god. I just drafted Alex Daigle in my fantasy pool. Wonder how he'll do this year...

'Smashian Kassian'

"Everyone who still has the Cody glasses on seems to still be living back in the Junior days, when he was a star and was a projected #1 center."

Was he not playing the #1 center position in Buffalo? Is the kid not 22 years old?

What line did Kes and Hank play on when they were 22?

When Kes played a full year at 22 years old he scored 10 goals.3rd line.

That would be Hank scoring 8 goals in an entire season when he was 22 years old.3rd line.

Give your hate for Hodgson a rest long enough to allow your brain to actually digest some facts.

You sound like Mike Gillis' office boy ready with slippers and cocoa.

Archived