The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Multiple Warning Signs Surrounding Zack Kassian

King of the ES

'Smashian Kassian'

"Everyone who still has the Cody glasses on seems to still be living back in the Junior days, when he was a star and was a projected #1 center."

Was he not playing the #1 center position in Buffalo? Is the kid not 22 years old?

What line did Kes and Hank play on when they were 22?

When Kes played a full year at 22 years old he scored 10 goals.3rd line.

That would be Hank scoring 8 goals in an entire season when he was 22 years old.3rd line.

Give your hate for Hodgson a rest long enough to allow your brain to actually digest some facts.

You sound like Mike Gillis' office boy ready with slippers and cocoa.

How many goals did Gretzky score at 22?

Oh...sorry...I thought we were making stupid comparisons to prove a point. My bad.

Buffalo's lost 3/4 of their last games. We've won 3/4.

Cody may be on a tear, but he's also been a minus player in the majority of his recent games and it doesn't mean his team is winning. That's what counts - moreso than superstars or individual performances. Sure, that can't be pinned on him but, if we're looking at team success/failure, Buffalo sits at a whopping 25th and we're currently 7th in the league overall.

I don't watch Cody anymore, but Zack appears to be a spark in the line up and is a great team player. I give Cody props....he's a great young player whose star will continue to shine...but we needed some grit and someone adaptable. Someone parked in front of the net who would accept various roles. Cody's camp seemed determined for one and it just didn't fit here with the existing line up.

We'll be ok with this trade.

'Smashian Kassian'

"Everyone who still has the Cody glasses on seems to still be living back in the Junior days, when he was a star and was a projected #1 center."

Was he not playing the #1 center position in Buffalo? Is the kid not 22 years old?

What line did Kes and Hank play on when they were 22?

When Kes played a full year at 22 years old he scored 10 goals.3rd line.

That would be Hank scoring 8 goals in an entire season when he was 22 years old.3rd line.

Give your hate for Hodgson a rest long enough to allow your brain to actually digest some facts.

You sound like Mike Gillis' office boy ready with slippers and cocoa.

Smashian Kassian is thoroughly unimpressed with Cody Hodgson's 10 points in 11 games, yet he'll tell you in the next sentence how Jordan Schroeder is headed to superstardom (0 goals, 2 points in 8 games).

Cody Hodgson's production has been all because of his linemates, yet Zack Kassian's - who's linemates have been Daniel & Henrik Sedin - are all basically on the back of his own efforts.

Welcome to CDC.

Cody may be on a tear, but he's also been a minus player in the majority of his recent games and it doesn't mean his team is winning. That's what counts - moreso than superstars or individual performances. Sure, that can't be pinned on him but, if we're looking at team success/failure, Buffalo sits at a whopping 25th and we're currently 7th in the league overall.

Plus/minus is mostly a team-driven statistic that should not be analyzed at an individual level without some serious skepticism.

There are only 3 Vancouver Canucks at the moment with a minus rating; meanwhile, there are 12 Buffalo Sabres. 5 minus players on Chicago; 14 on Toronto. Is it because teams like Vancouver & Chicago are loaded with defensively responsible players, or is it simply because they're better teams?!? Not a hard question to answer, IMO.

For all the whining about how awful defensively Christian Ehrhoff is/was, guess who's second on the Sabres with a +4 rating?

Smashian Kassian is thoroughly unimpressed with Cody Hodgson's 10 points in 11 games, yet he'll tell you in the next sentence how Jordan Schroeder is headed to superstardom (0 goals, 2 points in 8 games).

Cody Hodgson's production has been all because of his linemates, yet Zack Kassian's - who's linemates have been Daniel & Henrik Sedin - are all basically on the back of his own efforts.

Welcome to CDC.

Hodgson is a good player but I prefer Kassian. Even at the time of the trade, while I was upset about losing Hodgson, getting a player like Kassian was exciting.

Zack Kassian has a lot less points but keep in mind he is second amongst forwards in points (2 less) and first on the team in goals. Hodgson has less than half the points of Vanek, and 4 less points than Pominville.

Hodgson will get more points I expect. But Kassian is a complete player, and we need a guy like him.

Schroeder in his first 8 games looks a lot better than Hodgson did in his first 8, but keep in mind Schroeder is a year older at this point. Much more impressive than his 2 points indicate (should have 3)

Plus/minus is mostly a team-driven statistic that should not be analyzed at an individual level without some serious skepticism.

There are only 3 Vancouver Canucks at the moment with a minus rating; meanwhile, there are 12 Buffalo Sabres. 5 minus players on Chicago; 14 on Toronto. Is it because teams like Vancouver & Chicago are loaded with defensively responsible players, or is it simply because they're better teams?!? Not a hard question to answer, IMO.

For all the whining about how awful defensively Christian Ehrhoff is/was, guess who's second on the Sabres with a +4 rating?

You definitely have a half truth there. Hodgson is undoubtedly an impressive offensive player. That's simply undeniable - he has a great nose once he's inside the other team's blueline. The thing is, if you watch him in Buffalo, you will also see a whole lot of goals where he is integral to the play, and getting exposed - he's not a very alert defensive player, particularly when the play is close to his own net - he looks lost a lot of the time - he loses his check consistently - he gets spun around and out of position. If you honestly review the opposition goals where he's on the ice you'll see what I'm talking about. The game is obviously about stopping the opposition from scoring as much as it is putting the puck in the net.

If I were Hodgson's coach, I would use him to his strengths and avoid his weaknesses (which btw is not hating on Hodgson - there is simply the reality there that he's not the strongest two-way player at the NHL level). I would probably convert him to a RW who then doesn't have to play too much hockey down low in his own end, which I think is the most challenging part of his game. Physical play and pivoting quickly imo are not strengths of his. As a winger, he'd be on the half boards more, he'd be up higher getting in passing lanes and handling blueliners as opposed to forwards down low. It also might cut a little skating out of his game, which also is not the strongest part of his game. I think playing wing would be more tailored to him, and could really focus on the qualities he has that are marquis. As it is, those qualities become somewhat of a wash as he's forced into areas of the game that are obvious weaknesses.

You've just helped to make my point - I think Cody is a great player but there's a difference with being a "team" player and I do believe this "team driven" stat reflects that. It's not only about scoring, it's about being scored on. Zack is versatile and I really like the team element of his game. Some of the passes he's making, the fact that he'll go to bat for others. Let's face it, part of the dynamic of having a successful team that looks beyond "individual's performances" is how well a team performs together as a unit. Players who are focused on their own game/ice time lose a little focus on the brotherhood aspect of things. If you're "competing" for ice time you're competing with your own teammates and, possibly, disrupting that unity? JMO, but your post supports what I'm trying to get at.

Again, there's no hating Hodgson here...he's talented, driven and competitive and likely has a camp behind him that is momentum in that...nothing wrong with wanting to succeed. But he had to exercise patience and be a supporting player in the team and accept the role he was assigned in that. I do also think that Zack is better fitted here, with his rough around the edges demeanor that gives us a gritty side. In front of the net/sitting on the goaltender's head. It's a different style of play, but we definitely had a need for this type of player and with what happened with Cody, it came sooner rather than later.

You've just helped to make my point - I think Cody is a great player but there's a difference with being a "team" player and I do believe this "team driven" stat reflects that. It's not only about scoring, it's about being scored on. Zack is versatile and I really like the team element of his game. Some of the passes he's making, the fact that he'll go to bat for others. Let's face it, part of the dynamic of having a successful team that looks beyond "individual's performances" is how well a team performs together as a unit. Players who are focused on their own game/ice time lose a little focus on the brotherhood aspect of things. If you're "competing" for ice time you're competing with your own teammates and, possibly, disrupting that unity? JMO, but your post supports what I'm trying to get at.

Again, there's no hating Hodgson here...he's talented, driven and competitive and likely has a camp behind him that is momentum in that...nothing wrong with wanting to succeed. But he had to exercise patience and be a supporting player in the team and accept the role he was assigned in that. I do also think that Zack is better fitted here, with his rough around the edges demeanor that gives us a gritty side. In front of the net/sitting on the goaltender's head. It's a different style of play, but we definitely had a need for this type of player and with what happened with Cody, it came sooner rather than later.

I am a little bit harsher on CoHo maybe than you. I don't blame him for wanting out: i would too if i was stuck behind Sedin and Kesler at center, that is just natural, but I don't think Cody is a top line quality guy nor ever will be. His stride is too short and he has to put too much effort into his feet to maintain quality with his mind and hands for the long term. I dunno if that makes sense but I don't see him having a decade long career on a top line on any team in the league, maybe on 3 or 4 teams over time until each one gets sick of him there. Time will tell, but the trade was a good thing for all involved.

I don't think Cody is a top line quality guy nor ever will be. His stride is too short and he has to put too much effort into his feet to maintain quality with his mind and hands for the long term.

In case you're not aware, this is almost the exact criticism that people had of the Sedin's. On any other roster, they may well have been given up on. They were extremely slow when they first entered the league, and they really didn't become marquee NHL players until 2009 (at the age of 29). What led them to growth was Burke/Crawford's sheer insistence of having them as the second line, all the time, no matter what. 2nd PP, too.

Cody will continue to get bigger, stronger, and faster, and I think that with his IQ, instincts, and drive, there's really nothing stopping him from multiple All-Star appearances.

I think Darcy Regehr has shown a knack for going out and acquiring players who make up an impressive list of players when you look at the roster, but less than impressive when it comes to finding complementary players for each other, or a group that fits well together as a team. He has thrown a lot of money into the UFA market and come up with misfitting parts. He moved his top line center in the offseason for a third liner imo - he also moved Gaustad - and then drafted a spree of centers, but now he is faced with a significant gap in size and experience at the top of his lineup in the most crucial position. In my opinion, exceedingly poor personnel decisions. You simply can't move a guy like Roy imo and then expect to go top six center shopping after the fact. Could he honestly have thought that Ennis and Hodgson are the immediate answers? The Sabres look fine in the future up the middle, but right now, when they have a top notch goaltender, a bunch of expensive free agents, a respectable blueline, and top line wingers that can light it up, it's almost absurd to leave the gaping whole in the lineup that he has.

Cody will continue to get bigger, stronger, and faster, and I think that with his IQ, instincts, and drive, there's really nothing stopping him from multiple All-Star appearances.

LOL they call him Coy Hogson on the Buffalo boards because he can't D. He has no IQ, instincts, or drive. Thats the problem with him. If he had those 3 things he would have gotten the ice time to keep his whining Daddy at bay and he would still be a Canuck and we wouldn't have Kassian and the Kassquatch would be playing with Vanek and likely have 10+ goals so far.

The chances of Cody getting "bigger" are minimal, unless he is working on his gut .. he may get heavier and stronger .. he is so weak defensively on the puck, he will be demoted to 2nd line center soon, and traded to Toronto within 2 years .. just an observation and a prediction .. great hockey sense .. weak physically .. he will fit right in with Kessel ..

Do we really need to bash one player in order to show how good another player is?

Both kass and hodgson are good players, and BOTH of them are going to have a good career in the nhl. Each player will have their own strength and weakness, and there is no reason to completely focus on ones' weakness and ignore their upside...

Hodgson may not be the player the canucks need this year, but lets not kid ourselves and say he does not have an impressive offensive instinct here.

Not all players are cut out to be a two way player, but it doesn't mean other type of players are worthless.

So now you admit that There is more to a players individual stats than what you read on the stats page you should go read over your OP and your posts after when everyone pointed out he was playing on a less offensive team with much less talent. yet his drop in year over year production was all his decline as a player....... warning signs lol.

LOL they call him Coy Hogson on the Buffalo boards because he can't D. He has no IQ, instincts, or drive. Thats the problem with him. If he had those 3 things he would have gotten the ice time to keep his whining Daddy at bay and he would still be a Canuck and we wouldn't have Kassian and the Kassquatch would be playing with Vanek and likely have 10+ goals so far.

This kind of statement exposes your lack of hockey insight. Hodgson's vision and IQ have always been praised by professional scouts as do most knowledgable fans. The Cody hatred around here is reaching a new low.

I checked out the HF Buff board and the majority of fans continue to like what CH brings. Although they recognize his defensive struggles, they seem to understand that he is still young and will only improve with time.

The other thing I notice is that they rarely bring up Zak. They mostly view the trade as a win win.

Buffalo fans have moved on. Why can't Vancouver fans?

Av is juggling the lines so everyone has a chance to showcase themselves. When Kesler and Booth are back hopefully we will see Kassian back on the first and we will have 3 of the deadliest lines in hockey....... there are no warning signs just growing pains as is normal with a developing player. We have a solid core with some serious depth on defense and at goalie. ......the only warning signs I honestly see are if Raymond and Ballard keep playing this good they may play themselves into a trade ?

This kind of statement exposes your lack of hockey insight. Hodgson's vision and IQ have always been praised by professional scouts as do most knowledgable fans. The Cody hatred around here is reaching a new low.

I checked out the HF Buff board and the majority of fans continue to like what CH brings. Although they recognize his defensive struggles, they seem to understand that he is still young and will only improve with time.

The other thing I notice is that they rarely bring up Zak. They mostly view the trade as a win win.

Buffalo fans have moved on. Why can't Vancouver fans?

Cody Hodgson's lack of hockey sense was one of the reasons he was turned down the contract he wanted and was traded not long after. His defensive lapses were too great to warrant a Bieksa equivellant contract. His skating weakness is compounded by his inability to read plays and it causes him to struggle. Although it is common for Rookies to have this problem, it was so prevalent that it has been the main focus of his training since the OHL in 2007. So in 6 years he still can't figure out how to do anything but score. Not that its bad having a guy that can score like Cody can, but when he doesn't have the puck, better hope the opponents blow a tire because that is the only way he gets the puck back.

And which Sabres site are you going too? I go to sabres.nhl.com. and their discussion of the Kassian Hodgson trade hasn't left the first page of their forums in almost a YEAR. And while a couple of them say it was a fair trade, 90% of them brag about how they won the trade, you should check it out sometime. Also note that there is approximately 1- 2 new threads started a week and that the moderators don't even have a thousand posts and they are lucky to get 5 new posts a day, but yeah lets compare that to the CDC.

And if your going to bring up that the CoHo hatred has reached a new low in the same paragraph that you are calling me out for stating facts, I will answer to it by asking you to find ANY post where I ever said that CoHo was good in the last few years. I have been complaining about him since day 1. So if you are referring to the CDC in general could you try to be more specific as so I am not wasting my time defending the same position I have always held, and apparantely the management of the Canucks agrees with as well.

Av is juggling the lines so everyone has a chance to showcase themselves. When Kesler and Booth are back hopefully we will see Kassian back on the first and we will have 3 of the deadliest lines in hockey....... there are no warning signs just growing pains as is normal with a developing player. We have a solid core with some serious depth on defense and at goalie. ......the only warning signs I honestly see are if Raymond and Ballard keep playing this good they may play themselves into a trade ?

In a sense, kassian is also a victim of his own versatility. He is able to fill many different roles, which means he is one of the few players that AV can move up and down the lineup and be sure of his success.

Archived