The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Multiple Warning Signs Surrounding Zack Kassian

King of the ES

?

This is pretty irrelevent King.

But regardless, here is what you did, which is pretty clearly more of 4)

"And out of curiosity, do you think Manny Malhotra is also better than Joe Thornton? Thornton was traded to San Jose for a bag of pucks, which couldn't be due to a management error, could it?"

The Hamhius is better than Phaneuf debate becomes 'do you think Malhotra is better than Thornton?'

What exactly does Malhotra have to do with Phaneuf and Hamhius?

Also irrelevent, but what you call "garbage" is typical, pure hindsighting - the "garbage" were three guys who were first round draft picks including Sturm, who had four straight 20 goal seasons in 2005, and Stuart who was San Jose's top scoring defenseman at 24 years old (a 40 point blueliner at that early stage of his career).

Thornton was traded because he is not the player that you want to lead your team if you want to win a cup, look how it worked out for Boston and SJ. A bag of pucks you say? Some times a team takes a loss because they realize that the player is not going to help them win. Lou could be added to this list, great player but not going to help you win a cup. Cody was not at that point and it was a bad trade no matter how you chop it up. His value would have been much better in the summer and we wouldn't be bickering about weather zack is dead weight or not.

"Watch him play" - fine, but the numbers don't lie. The numbers are what's honest, free of the confirmation bias that so many Canuck fans suffer from - seeing only what you want to see, rather than reality. The guy's numbers are down, pretty substantially, and it's worth discussing. One of the reasons why Gillis went on to explain why he loved him so much was his AHL production, to which I agreed. 15 goals and 26 points in 30 games is impressive - the AHL is no joke. But he has regressed this year, thus far, and, to me, that's a red flag.

And let's cut the bashing on Arneil. Nobody questioned his ability to coach when he was developing Schneider, Edler, Raymond, Grabner, Rypien, Bourdon, Hodgson, etc., etc.

you also have to take into account that there are more nhl caliber players playing in the ahl this season..

Also irrelevent, but what you call "garbage" is typical, pure hindsighting - the "garbage" were three guys who were first round draft picks including Sturm, who had four straight 20 goal seasons in 2005, and Stuart who was San Jose's top scoring defenseman at 24 years old (a 40 point blueliner at that early stage of his career).

The entire hockey world's collective jaw dropped when Thornton was traded for those guys, but I guess it's not too surprising that you think Boston made a reasonable hockey trade, given that you also think that Florida was genuinely trying to improve - and not dump cap - when they sent us Booth for two old veterans on expiring contracts.

you also have to take into account that there are more nhl caliber players playing in the ahl this season..

But don't take that into account when analyzing Justin Schultz's performance in the AHL, thus far.

Because according to most people on this site, what Schultz is doing is really not that impressive and not indicative of a promising NHL career.

The entire hockey world's collective jaw dropped when Thornton was traded for those guys, but I guess it's not too surprising that you think Boston made a reasonable hockey trade, given that you also think that Florida was genuinely trying to improve - and not dump cap - when they sent us Booth for two old veterans on expiring contracts.

Actually that deal wasn't that bad, basicly the same thing as the Nash deal, or the Carter deal or the Richards deal. It wasn't as bad as you think at the time you just get then mixed up with now.

And IMO that deal was sending a message, because in cap dollars they didn't really dump anything, Sammuelsson was around 3 and Sturm was around 1.5.

I think they did it expecting Sturm would bring more, Booth was struggling there and they were struggling after spending all that money in the offseason and they wanted to send a message to the group and shake things up a bit and Sammuelsson certainly did a good job for them.

But don't take that into account when analyzing Justin Schultz's performance in the AHL, thus far.

Because according to most people on this site, what Schultz is doing is really not that impressive and not indicative of a promising NHL career.

No one is saying it isn't impressive, I'm very impressed but no one is looking at that and thinking he will be able to step in and do it in the NHL like you are.

Very Very Impressive in the AHL but it's the AHL, when he faces stronger competition on a lesser team I doubt he will be able to continue it.

And IMO that deal was sending a message, because in cap dollars they didn't really dump anything, Sammuelsson was around 3 and Sturm was around 1.5.

I think they did it expecting Sturm would bring more, Booth was struggling there and they were struggling after spending all that money in the offseason and they wanted to send a message to the group and shake things up a bit and Sammuelsson certainly did a good job for them.

More confirmation that you don't comprehend these dealings.

It was a cap-neutral move for last year, but what happened on July 1, 2012? Right, Florida cut bait very quickly with both Samuelsson & Sturm - as I said they would - while Vancouver is still committed to David Booth at $4.25M per year until June 30, 2015. Got it?

Kassian still has time to develop but he needs to start finding consistency. Looking at the typical trajectory of a power forward's development, I think he and the Canucks have taken a reasonable step in working on his conditioning issues first (which were obvious last season and were a big reason for his consistency issues imo). He is supposedly playing at around 15 pounds lighter which doesn't sound like much but is actually fairly significant. It will take some adjustment.

I want to see them working with him to develop consistency in his physical game again (which it seems like they are doing) because when he is not playing that way consistently all other areas of his game especially offense seem to suffer. He has to get back to basics and develop his physical edge again. THEN they can start turning him into a top 6 offensive menace.

If there is a silver lining is that he is getting this time to adjust in the AHL not the NHL.

More confirmation that you don't comprehend these dealings.

It was a cap-neutral move for last year, but what happened on July 1, 2012? Right, Florida cut bait very quickly with both Samuelsson & Sturm - as I said they would - while Vancouver is still committed to David Booth at $4.25M per year until June 30, 2015. Got it?

You said it was a cap dump deal which is clearly wasn't, way to try to turn this in another direction to try to justify your uninformed comment.

And lets say even if that was your outrageous intent to make it seem like a "Cap dump for a year later" trade (Which really makes no sense), then you should have said that in your originial post.

You said it was a cap dump deal which is clearly wasn't, way to try to turn this in another direction to try to justify your uninformed comment.

And lets say even if that was your outrageous intent to make it seem like a "Cap dump for a year later" trade (Which really makes no sense), then you should have said that in your originial post.

It was a cap dump. Absolutely.

What do you think was more important for Florida? Dumping David Booth, or acquiring Samuelsson & Sturm?

What do you think was more important for Florida? Dumping David Booth, or acquiring Samuelsson & Sturm?

I think it was important for Florida to send a message & shake up the room.

I don't think this deal was good for Florida, and I have said that I think we destroyed them in the trade.

But I still don't see how trading 4.2 for 4.5 is a cap dump.

And all that aside since when are you on David Booth's side about anything? Your one of the biggest Booth haters.

Actually, the Booth trade was largely cap driven for the Panthers I'm afraid. They may have taken back similar cap for last year but their goal was to shed a longer term contract at those big dollars. That is pretty obvious I think.

Booth could be a good player for the Canucks if they get him away from Kesler.

Actually, the Booth trade was largely cap driven for the Panthers I'm afraid. They may have taken back similar cap for last year but their goal was to shed a longer term contract at those big dollars. That is pretty obvious I think.

Booth could be a good player for the Canucks if they get him away from Kesler.

Wasn't it a real dollar dump? We are paying Booth, but also buried Reinprecht's salary for them who was playing in the minors...

Everybody is consumed with cap, but trust me; owners still cough when they sign real multi million dollar cheque's!

Archived