The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Multiple Warning Signs Surrounding Zack Kassian

King of the ES

"The league", or maybe 1 or 2 bottom-feeders, like the Islanders and/or the Blue Jackets, perhaps? Let's not start touting "hometown discount" when discussing a guy who was just given a 6-year deal from us while being tied for the highest-paid defenceman on the club.

Pressure's on, Jason. Welcome to Vancouver.

OOOOOOO Jason - welcome to Vancouver....

Uh, what's that, oh you are from Vancouver, my mistake.

Yeah, I guess, uh, who am I to welcome you to your own hometown?

And, uh, I live in Chicago. Derp. Welcome to uh, geez, forget it.

"Watching them play" is exactly the environment that leads to bias and clouded judgment. Mason Raymond is almost always the fastest guy on the ice, he carries the puck a lot, he gets a lot of chances, etc. Yet who was the biggest whipping boy on this team last year? And why is that? Because he had 10 goals and 20 points in 55 games while getting quality minutes with quality linemates.

The staunch reality is that if Jason Garrison had identical offensive production in 2011-12 as he has in 2010-11, there is simply no chance in hell that he would've gotten a 6-year, $4.6M per year contract.

I think it was Jagermeister who already explained to you that stay-at-home blueliners are actually also valued by GMs. I'm not surprised his point didn't reach home.

Since you are simply so obviously blinded by glitz and points, let me give you an analogy from a sport where the defense and offense are separate groups - in (NA) football, there are players who line up on opposite side of the ball - one side is called the offense and one side is called the defense. The defensive players sometimes score points as a result of a turnover (returned for a touchdown), but generally their job is simply to stop the opposing offense from scoring. They make up a full half of the team - and overall they account for half of the results. There are some defensive players with names Haloti Ngata and Ed Reed who are actually the highest paid players on their team, making more than their quarterback and top receiver.

In the NHL, there are also players whose job is to stop other players from scoring moreso than to score themselves.

I showed you a list of guys with comparable salaries to Garrison - there are players like Robyn Regehr are on that list. Regehr is a shutdown blueliner, and was a very good one for quite a long time - probably the best defenseman over the past decade for Calgary. I can just imagine your response - that's ridiculous - Regehr, Calgary's best defenseman! Regehr is not a judged by the fact that he only averages 15 points a season (less than Garrison's first season and less than half of his production last year). He was one hell of a difficult guy to play against, and therefore he was valued appropriately. He was a plus player his last seven years in Calgary - how many Flames can you say that about? Let me help you with that one - nobody.

Garrison is easily worth what he was signed for. It's all relative King. If two years isn't enough of an indication - then you may want to reconsider the uber-fanboying of Schultz that you have spread all over CDC - it makes your contradiction exceeding clear.

I showed you a list of guys with comparable salaries to Garrison - there are players like Robyn Regehr are on that list. Regehr is a shutdown blueliner, and was a very good one for quite a long time - probably the best defenseman over the past decade for Calgary. I can just imagine your response - that's ridiculous - Regehr, Calgary's best defenseman! Regehr is not a judged by the fact that he only averages 15 points a season (less than Garrison's first season and less than half of his production last year). He was one hell of a difficult guy to play against, and therefore he was valued appropriately. He was a plus player his last seven years in Calgary - how many Flames can you say that about? Let me help you with that one - nobody.

Thanks, but I'm well-aware that some guys are paid on the basis of defence-first. You still haven't answered whether you'd actually want any of the guys on your list; guys like Komisarek and/or Tyutin. I certainly don't want those guys, at $4.5M. Do you? And just because guys like that have those - bad - contracts, that justifies giving Garrison one?

On Regehr, he was very good, but he slowed down considerably a couple of years ago, not nearly as effective as he used to be. You're right that he was a very nasty piece of business to play against - which Jason Garrison is not. With that said, no, he was not the best defenceman on the Calgary Flames. Dion Phaneuf was. Regehr had zero offensive aptitude to speak of. Regehr was never a Norris nominee; Phaneuf was. But, I'll assume that you value +/- higher than you value a Norris nomination. Am I right?

so your saying that because Brett Hull was crazy good for a slow fat defensively handicapped player and still scored 50 in 50 means that Kassian is only a representation of his most basic stats and not his actual on ice presence ... i don't get it why do teams spend so much money on sending scouts all over the world when they could just Google the stats of these players and draft accordingly.

So King, what do you say about this?

I think the Canucks might want to consider just that.

How much has the .org spent on scouting since Gills took over in 2008?

How many Gillis draft picks will suit up and play if there is a season?

The question should be: How much can we save by ditching the scouting staff and just using Google?

Canucks haven’t fared well at draft under GM Mike Gillis

Still, given the effort and resources expended — under Gillis, the amateur scouting department overseen by Thomas Gradin and Ron Delorme became the largest in the NHL — the Canucks should have more elite prospects than they do.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/06/21/canucks-havent-fared-well-at-draft-under-gm-mike-gillis/

OOOOOOO Jason - welcome to Vancouver....

Uh, what's that, oh you are from Vancouver, my mistake.

Yeah, I guess, uh, who am I to welcome you to your own hometown?

And, uh, I live in Chicago. Derp. Welcome to uh, geez, forget it.

ooOOOOOH,Jason,you talk like one of those southern boys.

Say whaaaaaat,you have not lived in Canada since you played for the Clippers when you were twenty years old?

Yeah,I guess you really have become American living in Florida,NY and Minnesota for your entire adult and pro life.

I guess somebody should welcome you back since White Rock looks a lot different than when you lived here as a teenager.

How about the derp-he will do it.Oldnews,Oldnews.....

Let me try my best King of the ES answer!

"Your Vancouver Canucks scouting staff would be better off using google..."

Do I win?

No.

But you did save the .org $18 million per annum and the percentage of players making it has increased 35%.

Oh,you did ask for it.

Just providing some support to what appears to be the CDC bully show.

"Bitching,moaning,extremely stupid,idiotic,pathetic,etc." - all on one page directed to the OP.

Nice act.

Hardly cute,even for a guy with your avatar or whatever it is.

Oh,you did ask for it.

Bitching,moaning,extremely stupid,idiotic,pathetic,etc.-all on one page for one poster.

Nice act.

Describing yourself in a nutshell.Thanks!

Oh,you did ask for it.

Bitching,moaning,extremely stupid,idiotic,pathetic,etc.-all on one page for one poster.

Nice act.

Hey man you never answered my question about what Gillis could have offered Shultz that the Oilers couldn't.

You must have just missed it.

You should probably watch the personally attacks on Goku as well. Those warnings add up don't you know.

"Watching them play" is exactly the environment that leads to bias and clouded judgment. Mason Raymond is almost always the fastest guy on the ice, he carries the puck a lot, he gets a lot of chances, etc. Yet who was the biggest whipping boy on this team last year? And why is that? Because he had 10 goals and 20 points in 55 games while getting quality minutes with quality linemates.

The staunch reality is that if Jason Garrison had identical offensive production in 2011-12 as he has in 2010-11, there is simply no chance in hell that he would've gotten a 6-year, $4.6M per year contract.

You forgot several things about watching Raymonds game. That's the problem with having a discussion with you. I fully admit that much of the evidence if not all of it is absolutely correct. The problem is it's almost never complete.

Archived