The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Multiple Warning Signs Surrounding Zack Kassian

King of the ES

You forgot several things about watching Raymonds game. That's the problem with having a discussion with you. I fully admit that much of the evidence if not all of it is absolutely correct. The problem is it's almost never complete.

And you would be the all perfect one.

Hey man you never answered my question about what Gillis could have offered Shultz that the Oilers couldn't.

You must have just missed it.

You should probably watch the personally attacks on Goku as well. Those warnings add up don't you know.

My apologies I usually have you on ignore.

I do not mind being called cute by a cartoon avatar boy,I just find it unsettling in some primitive,gut instinctual way.

Wow. I think I just walked into troll town. Heres my personal thoughts on Kassian. I think Kassian will be a fine player. Probably a 20-25 goal scorer that can play physical as long as he can develop a little more consistency. What everyone is witnessing now doesn't mean a lot. I'm guessing that Once the NHL becomes unlocked everyone will get an idea what type of player he will become.

I think the Canucks might want to consider just that.

How much has the .org spent on scouting since Gills took over in 2008?

How many Gillis draft picks will suit up and play if there is a season?

The question should be: How much can we save by ditching the scouting staff and just using Google?

Canucks haven’t fared well at draft under GM Mike Gillis

Still, given the effort and resources expended — under Gillis, the amateur scouting department overseen by Thomas Gradin and Ron Delorme became the largest in the NHL — the Canucks should have more elite prospects than they do.

http://sports.nation...gm-mike-gillis/

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know how you can expect us to have elite prospects when we are drafting 25-30 every year, and when we have traded some early picks to build on our current success.

We spend all that money on development so when we draft players we want to make sure they can become as good as possible, and honestly I don't think MG has done too bad.

Unfortunately money cant buy us better draft positions, or else I'm sure we would have a few more top prospects.

:lol: nuck nitwit set himself up for that perfectly ::D

:lol: Just caught that.

Wow. I think I just walked into troll town. Heres my personal thoughts on Kassian. I think Kassian will be a fine player. Probably a 20-25 goal scorer that can play physical as long as he can develop a little more consistency. What everyone is witnessing now doesn't mean a lot. I'm guessing that Once the NHL becomes unlocked everyone will get an idea what type of player he will become.

Yeah it's something the regular posters have gotten used to.

And you would be there waiting,I suppose. :frantic:

.....What is that even supposed to mean??

"The league", or maybe 1 or 2 bottom-feeders, like the Islanders and/or the Blue Jackets, perhaps? Let's not start touting "hometown discount" when discussing a guy who was just given a 6-year deal from us while being tied for the highest-paid defenceman on the club.

Pressure's on, Jason. Welcome to Vancouver.

It doesn't matter what others on the team are making when their deals were signed in previous years with a lower salary cap. Market value changes as the cap changes. If Garrison had higher offers he passed on then he did indeed sign here at a discount.

So King, what do you say about this?

Did I ever say that stats were the only thing that matters? No, and of course that's not true.

The indisputable fact is that at the 30-game mark of the AHL season, Kassian has far less goals, and less points, than what he had last season. That's all I'm bringing up. You can make any excuse you want, the fact of the matter is that it's not encouraging. If he instead was one of the AHL leaders in either/both of the categories, this place would be endlessly abuzz, which you cannot deny.

Here's my problem with a lot of the sentiment around here:

• Zack Kassian: big year-over-year decline in goals, points, and shots. "Who cares? Not concerned, he's gonna be great. Stop trolling".
  • Anton Rodin: 1 goal in 22 games. "Who cares? Not concerned, he's gonna be great. Stop trolling".
  • Kevin Connauton: big decline in virtually every conceivable category, year-over-year. "Who cares? Not concerned, he's gonna be great. Stop trolling".
  • Justin Schultz: 17 goals, 45 points in 32 games: "The AHL sucks anyway, those stats are not impressive and they don't mean anything. Just look at M.A. Gragnani in the AHL".

See the problem?

Did I ever say that stats were the only thing that matters? No, and of course that's not true.

The indisputable fact is that at the 30-game mark of the AHL season, Kassian has far less goals, and less points, than what he had last season. That's all I'm bringing up. You can make any excuse you want, the fact of the matter is that it's not encouraging. If he instead was one of the AHL leaders in either/both of the categories, this place would be endlessly abuzz, which you cannot deny.

• Zack Kassian: big year-over-year decline in goals, points, and shots. "Who cares? Not concerned, he's gonna be great. Stop trolling".
  • Anton Rodin: 1 goal in 22 games. "Who cares? Not concerned, he's gonna be great. Stop trolling".
  • Kevin Connauton: big decline in virtually every conceivable category, year-over-year. "Who cares? Not concerned, he's gonna be great. Stop trolling".
  • Justin Schultz: 17 goals, 45 points in 32 games: "The AHL sucks anyway, those stats are not impressive and they don't mean anything. Just look at M.A. Gragnani in the AHL".

See the problem?

Yes, I do.

I see that you keep getting other players muddled up in a discussion about Zack Kassian.

If anything contrary to your opinion is only an "excuse" then what excuses do you have which explain why Kassian has this drop in production? Something more than, "perhaps he's not as good as Gillis thought he was", would be useful.

regards,

G.

This thread is a mess but it points to the problem the Canucks have. The prospect pool isn't great. There are some bright lights but for the most part they do have one of the weakest prospect pools in the league. That's pretty indisputable and most hockey experts would agree. Getting into a loop comparing guys like Schroeder and Kassian to other players lighting up the AHL that have had NHL experience and success makes little sense.

I think we all want our prospects to be high end but the reality is that the Canucks prospects closest to the NHL are not elite. I'm sure there are players in the system that will excel but I don't think that anyone can argue there are many sure things. We can be as hopeful as we want and argue stats all we want but it doesn't make it any less true. Of course we all want them to be great but it hasn't been a great year thus far. It's been frustrating to say the least watching some of these guys develop.

On the other hand Gillis has had some successes and I think it will get better. Whatever happens with Frank Corrado, I think that is an amazing pick for that late in the draft. He may not make it but he has come a long way so good on Gillis for that choice. Guance is getting better as of late after a poor start and I think he can potentially be a player as well. I'm not nearly as sold on Jensen as a lot are. I've seen him play many times and he just takes way too much time off. If that changes then look out but in my experience that isn't something that a player can often alter.

See the problem?

:picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: God King this is getting rediculous, I'm lay gunna it all on the table and explain it for you..

Your taking Canuck Fan cliches and applying them to this when that isn't the case.

Everyone has "admitted" if you will that what Schultz is doing is unbelievable, that still doesn't mean that he will be able to do it at the NHL level, or that it was a "Mistake" he chose Edmonton instead of coming here, or that Garrison wasn't a better signing for us (Which he was)

The reason we aren't worried about Kassian is because he has been playing well, if he was struggling and had lowsy stats then by all means bring it up, I would be concerned too, but everyone can see (Cause they watch the Wolves games) He is playing fine, being physical, making plays, doing good things. That doesn't always result in points, sometimes you get stimeid. And it has also been noted this team is playing terrible and the coaching as been terrible, and I also think it is worht noting he has had 2 or 3 goals wavied off for BS reasons. So to reiterate on Kass, he is doing good things, just not being rewarded yet, everyone can see he is playing fine despite him not producing to the "Dominant" level everyone would love to see. He is still 2nd on the team in scoring and is consistently one of there best players, and that alone proves the team has struggled, he has played well and he stats aren't that bad.

Rodin: I love how you do this, you say "1 goal in 18 games, 1 goal in 22 games" yet you discredit that he actually has 8 Points, playing on the third line and less, playing every 2nd game. You twist the facts in your favour. Now the thing you have to understand about him is no one is expecting him to light it up, no one is really expecting much, I don't know why you harp on it no one is surprised his production is like this. NO ONE. For the record I think he has all the tools in his game, he just has to continue to develop, get stronger, and put it all together, but that doesn't excuse the fact we all hoped for more, but it takes players longer to adjust and Anton has always been sort of a project. No one really expected more, you need to be patient with him.

Connaution: If you read the PGT's everyone agrees he has been not as good as last year, the PP has been brutal (Which affects him but can't be pinned on him, alot has to do with coaching) And he has been on a pair with a terrible defensmen (Joslin) rather than with Tanev like he should be, that's who he plays best with, another example of great coaching from "The Genius" as I call him. The bottom line here is everyone can identify that he hasn't been as good, for one reason or another with one circumstance or another to consider he hasn't been as good, no one is arguing that.

Now the thing you have to realize before you go off on our prospect and whatever. Is:

1. The circumstances.

2. How the overall team is doing

3. What fans realisticlly expect of them

4. What fans hope they will be

5. How long fans expect them to take

6. And to look futher into there play before making incorrect judgments based on reading stats sheets, and this goes for everything not just prospects (This also ties in with the 1st one just a bit)

Now I hope you read read that atleast 10 times before you respond because if you come back with a stat related argument without actually knowing what is going on, and u come back harping on prospects that no one expected to be much further ahead than they already are, then that will be the #1 sign that you are simply Trolling (As if it isn't obvious already like duh) And honestly my post isn't about arguing about prospects anyways so I don't know why you would but you never fail to amazing me so I am bracing myself for the worst.

Now seriously come on King, please just realize these things before you post and unfairly judge with no clue of what is even going on in the first place.

Above all else just take everything I said into heavy consideration before you reply please.

Archived