The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Multiple Warning Signs Surrounding Zack Kassian

King of the ES

This message brought to you by the man who would not trade Luke Schenn for 10 1st round picks.

And Burke comparing the hype surrounding the Sedin's to Mario Lemieux and Eric Lindros is utterly hysterical. Not even close, especially in the case of Lindros, who was heralded as the next Gretzky. I don't recall Henrik Sedin ever being expected to score 2,000 points over his NHL career.

The reality of that time was that the team was a disaster, tickets were easy to come by and cheap (exactly why Burke was trying to hype them up so much - to help sell tickets), and there were not a lot of Canuck fans sold on the idea that a couple of Swedish twins were going to save the franchise.

Sedin's have way, way exceeded their expectations.

Lol I find it so funny how that quote gets blown out of proportoin, what he said was that he sees him as a future captain and that he wasn't moving him. He said "If someone offers us something outragous like 10 first rounds picks, then he's on a plane. That's the way it is"

Also the narrator was saying that too, it wasn't just Burke, so you see it was a widely expected that these guys would one day be stars.

And how can u make fun of him saying that (Which he didn't) then trading Schenn? You think he doesn't always mean what he says?

Well then I guess when he says "Seeing Riemer makes us rethink our goaltending situation" and "We are willing to upgrade at goaltending at a resonable price" he could be just blowing smoke. So he could actually be desperate for Luongo, and be willing to pay more than the scraps you think he will garner, since he said he "wouldn't trade schenn for 10 first" then traded him later on.

And you are dead wrong about this Sedin thing, you have already demonstrated you know very little about the team, so it's no surprise everyone disagrees with you again. But that's all beside the point.

Hodgson was expected to be a 1st liner no? A poor mans Stamkos? Which he isn't and won't become, so then I guess he is the most overhyped draft pick we have ever had, and he is a bust since he isn't living up to expectations, by your logic. So then that means the deal wasn't actually that bad deal, trading away a bust right? Someone not living up to expectations? With ton's of better players drafted later on?

These are all the same contradicting arguments (Contradicting for you not me) that you have made, but nonetheless you will come and reply and spin this someother way, can't wait to see your reply King.

Yeah,Kassian,how old were you in 1999?

Old news?

How many of you were as old as the Canucks as a franchise?

Lol did you sign off of your King of ES account then sign in as Nuck Nit?

Do you honestly think more was expected of Hodgson than the Sedins. LOL (I can't believe I just said that, I sound like a complete idiot for even suggesting it but hey that's what you believe right?)

This message brought to you by the man who would not trade Luke Schenn for 10 1st round picks.

And Burke comparing the hype surrounding the Sedin's to Mario Lemieux and Eric Lindros is utterly hysterical. Not even close, especially in the case of Lindros, who was heralded as the next Gretzky. I don't recall Henrik Sedin ever being expected to score 2,000 points over his NHL career.

The reality of that time was that the team was a disaster, tickets were easy to come by and cheap (exactly why Burke was trying to hype them up so much - to help sell tickets), and there were not a lot of Canuck fans sold on the idea that a couple of Swedish twins were going to save the franchise.

Sure King, Burke did that wrangling to secure the 2nd and 3rd pick for a pair of second line guys. Do you honestly believe the crap you spew?

How about what Central Scouting and Atlanta's GM had to say then.....

While slightly smaller, Daniel is the better goal-scorer and enters the draft as the top-rated European prospect by NHL Central Scouting. At only 18, he played in the Swedish Elite League, finishing 13th in scoring. He also represented Sweden at two World Junior Championships, totaling five goals and five assists at the 1999 tournament.Considered the better playmaker, Henrik is right behind his brother as the second-ranked European prospect.

"They're very good players. They're special players, independently or together," said Don Waddell, general manager of the Atlanta Thrashers, who own the second overall pick. "I'm very high on both players, I've seen both players many times.

"The Sedins we're not going to see for a couple of years. We want to make sure we don't oversell that fact," he added. "But I think if you ever got both Sedins you could set your franchise up for a long time. I think they're going to be great players individually, but together, what a marketing ploy you could have for 10-12 years."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/nhl/1999/draft/news/1999/06/25/nhldraft_preview/index.html

Oh, there was hype King. The expectations were very high for the Sedins. The future of the franchise high. Which is why so many here turned on them when they weren't the immediate impact they wanted and expected.

I have no idea what you are talking about,but,I agree that you do sound like a complete idiot which brings me back to my question and the one King originally asked: How old were you in 1999?

Lol why should I tell you how old I am, It's my personal information.

But to give u an idea of range I am currently in between the ages 16 - 26.

Now can u explain to me how you can possible think Coho had higher expectations than the Sedins did? Cause I would love to hear your response.

I have no idea what you are talking about,but,I agree that you do sound like a complete idiot which brings me back to my question and the one King originally asked: How old were you in 1999?

All hail his mighty 'King' or off with your head!

...I think King can speak for himself...and honestly, he's better off that way.

That's the denial of a terrible liar if I've ever heard one. Cool story King

But to give u an idea of range I am currently in between the ages 16 - 26.

Now can u explain to me how you can possible think Coho had higher expectations than the Sedins did? Cause I would love to hear your response.

Ok,you are not the complete idiot as you say you are.

I am not in on your conversation of expectations between CoHo and the Sedins.Not sure why you think I am ,because I am not.

I would point out that hockey in 1999 was not the media or information available age it is today.

We would read the Hockey News and the local papers like the Sun and the Province and wait for that five minute slot at 6:49 each and every night for the sports news with a few minutes of hockey.

Sports Page was all the buzz and TSN did not even have major NHL coverage as CBC controlled all broadcast rights.

There was no internet in the Southern Gulf Islands where I lived.Period.

I would say there was far more coverage and media attention available to fans in 2008 over 1999.

Fans would be able to follow the team more intimately in 2008 over 1999.

There was a lot of buzz over the Sedins and CoHo.

I would say they were different because of media coverage and the internet age but top ten picks are always media hysteric events.

Numbers two and three in the NHL draft with no internet age vs. number ten with internet age?

Thirteen years is a long time ago but there was tremendous interest in Henrik and Daniel.It was just different and limited with no access to 24-7 telecommunications as there is today.

I am not in on your conversation of expectations between CoHo and the Sedins.Not sure why you think I am ,because I am not.

I would point out that hockey in 1999 was not the media or information available age it is today.

We would read the Hockey News and the local papers like the Sun and the Province and wait for that five minute slot at 6:49 each and every night for the sports news with a few minutes of hockey.

Sports Page was all the buzz and TSN did not even have major NHL coverage as CBC controlled all broadcast rights.

I would say there was far more coverage and media attention available to fans in 2008 over 1999.

I would say they were different because of media coverage and the internet age but top ten picks are always media hysteric events.

Numbers two and three in the NHL draft with no internet age vs. number ten with internet age?

Thirteen years is a long time ago but there was tremendous interest in Henrik and Daniel.It was just different and limited with no access to 24-7 telecommunications as there is today.

Your missing the point (And thanks for continuously calling me an idiot BTW when I said "I feel like one because.." pointing at you and King)

Anyways I understand how it was different, but it's not about who has more hype, who is more coverage or whatever. It is about expectations. Expectations haven't changed since then, there is no different.

For some reason King think Cody Hodgson had greater expectations in this city with this franchise than Daniel and Henrik did. And that's wrong, I'm sorry to say.

And Included you in it because you stood up for him and called us all idiots and told us off, I'm not sure why you are surprised? You agree with King on everything just like you did here.

So now I'll give u a chance to change things and clear the record straight (even though you already made it seem which where you stand on the matter)

So the question is: Who had more expectations? The Sedins who were projected to put the franchise on there backs one day and be our indefinite franchise players, or Cody Hodgson who was thought of as captain material and had the opportunity to maybe be a 1st line center, or atleast a good top 6 center?

That's the question, no need to sidestep just need an answer so I can clear things up.

Wow, it amazes me how one person can write so much crap. If you were speaking this much crap people would be suggesting you wear a diaper around your mouth.

Your question has an personal opinion centric answer.

I owe you nothing.

Lol so instead of saying either:

"The Sedin's clearly had greater expectations than Cody"

or

"No I think Cody did for...... reasons"

You chose to take that road, I never said you owed me anything but by your response my guess it that once again you support your King and his view that Coho had great expectation on his than the Sedins.

Jeez you 2 are out to lunch.

Honestly,I am not interested in your argument.

It means nothing to me.

I gave you 30 minutes of my time and explained the different time frames.

Says the guy who can't keep his conversation civil enough to not get posts deleted. How many days do you have left on this board?

Honestly,I am not interested in your argument.

It means nothing to me.

I gave you 30 minutes of my time and explained the different time frames.

So..

- You step into the conversation on Kings side.

- I criticize yours and Kings side (Cause it makes 0 sense)

- Then you wonder how you got involved in it.

- So I ask you to clearify what side you are on so there isn't any mistakes.

- And you refuse to do so apparently.

- So I stick with my original assumption that you take Kings side on it too.

This isn't about time frames I asked you to answer a simple question so I could understand which side of the leger your on, I don't know where you are taking this honestly.

Don't lump us all into your stone age situation of 1999. Some of us had home computers and the internet even then. I depended on the internet for sports news far more than The Province even at that time. Mainly because I've never been overly fond of The Province sports writers. I also had internet at work back then and was also in an online hockey pool. As a matter of fact I setup my personal hotmail account in '97.

TSN had been around long before '99 (since the mid '80s) covering NHL news and broadcasting NHLgames since the late 80;s. I'll guess you're confusing them with SportsNet which went on air around '99. CBC had sole rights to Saturday games and the playoffs, but even that changed around '89 with TSN broadcasting two of the 1st round playoff series, typically the matchups not featuring a Canadian teams. Which is to say TSN was in fact doing major NHL coverage long before '99.

Now King says LIndros was heralded as "the next Gretzky" muahahaha!

And I suppose Yakupov is hailed as the next Patrick Roy!

Still waiting for some credible quotes King - posts on the Botox boards written four years after the draft don't qualify.

I gave you some - why don't you provide some quotes from people other than the General Manager who have an interest in selling tickets that suggest that they were going to be franchise players?

And yes, Eric Lindros was perhaps the most hyped player ever. You're showing your inexperience if you suggest otherwise.

How about what Central Scouting and Atlanta's GM had to say then.....

Oh, there was hype King. The expectations were very high for the Sedins. The future of the franchise high. Which is why so many here turned on them when they weren't the immediate impact they wanted and expected.

Don Waddell is also the guy who drafted Patrik Stefan over either Sedin, so it's pretty obvious what he really felt. His vague and meaningless quote could be applied to anyone drafted in the 1st round. I guess except for the "marketing ploy" part (LOL), which is how a lot of people in Vancouver felt about the transaction.

Stefan and Brendl were the two most hyped prospects of that draft. The Sedin's were not. Good second-line players were their projection.

Archived