The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Multiple Warning Signs Surrounding Zack Kassian

King of the ES

That's total crap. You're suggesting that Buffalo expected a rookie to waltz in and "push them to the playoffs"?

So, by the same token, you are equally critical of people who say that the deal was a failure for the Canucks in that Kassian did not put the team on his back and carry it through to the finals, right?

regards,

G.

it's so hard to reason with canucks fan, they have all sorts of homer glasses on. It has blinded them from the truth completely.

Yeah, that's so true. I just wouldn't even try if I were you.

Maybe you would have a much a nicer time on the Leafs boards. I hear they're much more level headed over there. :)

regards,

G.

So, by the same token, you are equally critical of people who say that the deal was a failure for the Canucks in that Kassian did not put the team on his back and carry it through to the finals, right?

Of course. But I'm pretty sure - 100% sure, actually - that Cody Hodgson would not have been benched repeatedly, including in the playoffs, so I can understand fan frustration in that respect.

Can't wait for Zack to prove you wrong King.

This is the exact stuff that bothers me. Have I ever said that he was going to be a bust, or that the trade made no sense? NO. The timing didn't make sense, that's my only criticism. I've always said that it was a reasonable gamble for Mike Gillis to have taken (if done at a better time - like the off-season).

Because I'm bringing up the undeniable reality that his numbers have regressed year-over-year in the AHL, I'm suddenly anti-Kassian.

Of course.

Hmm, and yet haven't you been critical of the Kassian trade and that he wasn't prominent in last season's playoffs? If nothing else, I do not recall you ever stating that critics of the trade were being unreasonable in their opinions.

But I'm pretty sure - 100% sure, actually - that Cody Hodgson would not have been benched repeatedly, including in the playoffs, so I can understand fan frustration in that respect.

But I'm pretty sure - 100% sure, actually - that Cody Hodgson would not have made any kind of significant impact to team success over the final part of the season and into the playoffs. He might have generated some points, which would look good for his personal stat sheet, but would that personal success have translated into two more wins for the Canucks vs the Kings? I do not believe that would have been the case.

regards,

G.

Because I'm bringing up the undeniable reality that his numbers have regressed year-over-year in the AHL, I'm suddenly anti-Kassian.

Yup, and any explanation of why those numbers are what they are merely excuses and not worthy of discussion, right?

regards,

G.

pretty sure you have made it very evident you are not a fan of Kassian, way before you ever started this thread.

But I'm pretty sure - 100% sure, actually - that Cody Hodgson would not have made any kind of significant impact to team success over the final part of the season and into the playoffs.

One of the most foolish statements that I've seen you make, and I've seen you propose a Purcell/Aulie/1st return for Luongo.

Cody always stepped up in big games. Detroit & Boston immediately come to mind. Led WJC in scoring. Clutch player. To say that he wouldn't have had an impact is foolish - he already had the 3rd most goals on the team!!

Hey King lets hope the Canucks give the kid a chance to prove himself this year with a fresh, new season. I'm sure he is more familiar with his surroundings now, and the enviroment within our organization. I am a huge fan of Kassian, and I think he'll be great for us, but instead of being so concerned already, how about we be a little patient and let time tell us if we should worry or not. After all 20 points in 28 games isn't that bad in a better AHL (do to lock out). If this kid happens to be producing these kind of numbers in the NHL I think we will all be estatic! And like others on here have mentioned it isn't always about how many points a player gets to prove his worth, it about bringing a variety of elements to the table, and Kass has a number of attributes that can help the Canucks in the near future..

Hey King lets hope the Canucks give the kid a chance to prove himself this year with a fresh, new season. I'm sure he is more familiar with his surroundings now, and the enviroment within our organization. I am a huge fan of Kassian, and I think he'll be great for us, but instead of being so concerned already, how about we be a little patient and let time tell us if we should worry or not. After all 20 points in 28 games isn't that bad in a better AHL (do to lock out). If this kid happens to be producing these kind of numbers in the NHL I think we will all be estatic! And like others on here have mentioned it isn't always about how many points a player gets to prove his worth, it about bringing a variety of elements to the table, and Kass has a number of attributes that can help the Canucks in the near future..

Yes - that translates into .71 points per game.

Better than Hodgson's 30 points in 52 games for the Moose at the same age - .57 ppg - and he was -12.

Yet we never hear the end of King pumping Hodgson's tires.

Looking forward to seeing Kassian play with some quality NHLers.

Yes - that translates into .71 points per game.

Better than Hodgson's 30 points in 52 games for the Moose at the same age - .57 ppg - and he was -12.

Yet we never hear the end of King pumping Hodgson's tires.

Looking forward to seeing Kassian play with some quality NHLers.

and if he does make the team having a hectic short season might be just what he needs to work on becoming a consistent player.

knowing every game is a big game maybe we see him make an impact if not he can spend some more time in the AHL.

One of the most foolish statements that I've seen you make, and I've seen you propose a Purcell/Aulie/1st return for Luongo.

That comment cut me deep, King. I'm so very hurt that I might never be able to write another word.

That being said, I'm amazed that you still believe that Luongo will be traded for a bucket of used tape and spare parts.

And what's wrong with a Purcell/Aulie/1st for Luongo deal? TB has some depth on the right side and he would be the centerpiece of the deal. Aulie has potential, but he is by no means a prospect of the same calibre of a Rielly, or maybe even a Petrovic. And if memory serves, the pick was a 1st in either 2013 or 2014 (TB's choice). This is not as rich a deal as you make it out to be.

Cody always stepped up in big games. Detroit & Boston immediately come to mind. Led WJC in scoring. Clutch player. To say that he wouldn't have had an impact is foolish - he already had the 3rd most goals on the team!!

Yes, it was good that he stepped up in the big games, wasn't it? It was also a real drag that he wasn't stepping up during the other 90% of the games.

Was "Cody" stepping up during the latter part of the season (prior to the trade deadline)? And how was his footwork during Buffalo's drive to get to the playoffs? They had lots of big games where Hodgson was a no-show.

Yes, I'm sure that there are lots of reasons why Hodgson under-performed during this period, but we know that just like Kassian's drop off in production this year, these reasons would just be "excuses", right?

And who knows, this could be the last chance to try and get a straight answer from you: if Luongo's contract is so bad (due to Luongo's age, the remaining term on the deal, the cap hit, the salary still owed, and what-ever else there is), why would any team consider trying to acquire him?

You claim that even a good player with a terrible contract is worth-while picking up if the price is right, but that is really kind of contradictory when we look at it.

If the cap hit on Luongo's contract is as bad as you suggest, it will throw off the entire cap structure for the new team. What players (RFA's or UFA's) would go unsigned? How would the future of the team be negatively affected?

From a financial perspective, do you really mean to say that Burke will consider it a success if he dumped two years of Komisarek's cap hit in exchange for 10 years of Luongo's cap hit (and he he is going to play for the entire remaing term of his deal, right)?

This situation is not modified because you get a big contract player for a contract dump or even a short term cap dump in return for the incoming contract.

If the salary is so high, do the Leafs suddenly pay less if the Canucks agree to take Komisarek? Yes, it might help for the remaining 1.5 years left on Komisarek's deal, but what about the 8 years following?

If the deal is so bad, why would any other team pick it up?

regards,

G.

...if he turns out to be like Milan Lucic, yes, that's true.

...if he turns out to be like any of the other "power forwards" sold to us by the Buffalo Sabres - Steve Bernier & Taylor Pyatt - then it will be a disaster. I think most will agree that Cody Hodgson is certainly a top-six player for the next decade, with All-Star potential. Him being slow today is not unlike what that Henrik Sedin guy was in his younger years.

Kassian is far more uncertain, far more boom/bust.

Top 6 potential yes, all-star potential... Maybe. He's not going to put up 80+ points or 40+ Goals but I could see 20-30 Goals and 50-70 Points consistently. As a realistic assesment. Upper level 2nd line center/border line 1st line center, I just don't think he has the overall game to be a surefire 1st liner.

And Henrik had less average icetime in his rookie year, and put up with alot more stuff and they still stayed, and part of Cody's skating issue's is that he has small legs, inturn a small stride. Henrik doesn't have that issue the twins worked at it, took all the criticism stayed in Vancouver and got better. IMO they easily have the most Character on the team, and Cody doesn't even compare to either Sedin in any aspect IMO.

Kassian will take more time to realize what he can really be, and once we get there it will be great. It will be more WCE Bertuzzi esque though than Lucic. Maybe not the same point totals in his prime but his skillset lines up alot more with Bertuzzi than Lucic.

Of course. But I'm pretty sure - 100% sure, actually - that Cody Hodgson would not have been benched repeatedly, including in the playoffs, so I can understand fan frustration in that respect.

You think Cody wouldn't have been benched?

AV would have limited him minutes in favor of Pahlsson, its AV. Think about that for a moment, Cody would have gotten reduced minutes, I can't see him not getting reduced minutes knowing AV likes defensively/checking 3rd lines. And well Cody isn't exactly either of those.

Cody would have started the playoffs by then after the embaressments that were games 1 & 2 (Which he would not have altered at all BTW) I could easily have seen us benching him in game 3 or 4 with the pressure on.

Also:

Cody Hodgsons 08/09 season and his 09/10 season with Brampton in the OHL.

1.74 P/G --> 1.54 P/G

.81 G/G --> .62 G/G

.622PIM/G --> .692 PIM/G

So by your logic having a decline in that year would have automatically meant that Hodgson was going to be a bust too. Good on MG trading him away for anything at all!

Wasn't he injured that off-season?

Archived