The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Multiple Warning Signs Surrounding Zack Kassian

King of the ES

Well when did Cody experience this year-over-year drop in key metrics like goals and points?

You weren't actually trying to make your point by referencing his 20-game, end-of-rookie-season stint in Buffalo, were you?

No?

Maybe you should go back and read the post I was responding to in the first place, we've already had this argument.

Well when did Cody experience this year-over-year drop in key metrics like goals and points?

You weren't actually trying to make your point by referencing his 20-game, end-of-rookie-season stint in Buffalo, were you?

So let me get this straight. You're saying you can't make a fair judgement on Hodgson based on 20 games at the end of the season.

But somehow you can make a fair assessment of Kassian after 44 games in the NHL?

Hypocritical much?

If we're talking about the AHL, Kassian scored at a 0.86 PPG pace in the AHL last season.

He is scoring at a 0.71 PPG pace in the AHL this season. A difference of 0.15 PPG.

When you consider that he's on one of the lowest scoring teams in the AHL, it's really not that much of a dropoff.

You're acting like his point totals have been cut in half.

I was pissed off when MG traded Cody for Zack until I realized that Cody wanted out of Van. What was MG to do? People need to let go of CH and have some faith in Zack. He's the kind of player that takes a little longer to develop. Give a break eh?

Well, there was that last 25 games he had with the Canucks where he had 8g 5a 13 pts and a +1 (if memory serves) which could be added on to those 20 games with the Sabres...

regards,

G.

I just read the first post and I think making a linear relationship using two points in hockey is horrible.

Rome got 1 goal in the first two games he's played. therefore, we can expect 82 goals out of him.

Anyone else think this discussion is a waste of time?

Cody did this! Oh ya? Well, Kassian did this and Cody didn't do this! But Cody did this and that while Kassian can't do this and that! What a joke.

Cody is the better player all around currently. Kassian has a production dip due to the Wolves being a lesser team offensively than Rochester was a couple seasons ago. It's profoundly idiotic to make judgment at the time when barely a quarter of the season had come to pass. Just like it's profoundly idiotic for all the Canuck cry babies to complain the Canucks are .500 15 games into the season.

Who cares King? What matters is the future, and it's coming. Let's get it on! Zack's gonna make you wish you had the power to delete this thread.

I was pissed off when MG traded Cody for Zack until I realized that Cody wanted out of Van. What was MG to do? People need to let go of CH and have some faith in Zack. He's the kind of player that takes a little longer to develop. Give a break eh?

He was to not trade him right before the playoffs (most boneheaded move he ever did). If he wanted out trade him in the summer. If he did well in the playoffs the return would have been much better and we would have had our third best scorer who always played better in big games, in the playoffs. Can't say it wouldn't have helped considering zack was a healthy scratch because he wouldn't forechek or play defensively.

Ok so now we cleared up the what was MG to do part, right?

Edit: I don't thing anyone is saying we shouldn't have traded Coho, it's the return and time of the trade that is questionable.

The Canucks are still TOO soft. I, for one, am thankful we'll have a guy like Kassian available to play. Few guys on the team will literally scare the opposition like him. He's tough as nails, and damn ugly to match.

If we're talking about the AHL, Kassian scored at a 0.86 PPG pace in the AHL last season.

He is scoring at a 0.71 PPG pace in the AHL this season. A difference of 0.15 PPG.

When you consider that he's on one of the lowest scoring teams in the AHL, it's really not that much of a dropoff.

You're acting like his point totals have been cut in half.

17% dropoff, and at the time of this thread's creation it was even lower.

Some people would call that significant for a 22 year-old.

The Canucks are still TOO soft. I, for one, am thankful we'll have a guy like Kassian available to play. Few guys on the team will literally scare the opposition like him. He's tough as nails, and damn ugly to match.

To be fair I didn't see him scare too many opposition players in the AHL this season.

Having said that I think this season for the Wolves has been a damned nightmare, a clusterf-ck of incompetence brought about by an inept coach and dire coaching and systems.

I am glad Kass is back here where hopefully he will get decent minutes with talented linemates and playing in a system he and the rest of the team understand.

I'm not that interested in him fighting I want to see him create havoc with his size and physicality, thereby creating room and chances for line mates.

He was to not trade him right before the playoffs (most boneheaded move he ever did). If he wanted out trade him in the summer. If he did well in the playoffs the return would have been much better and we would have had our third best scorer who always played better in big games, in the playoffs.

"If" he played well in the playoffs. What if he didn't play well in the playoffs? The return would have been much worse, yes?

And while I am not a Hodgson basher (nor am I a Hodgson fanboy), I am a bit of a skeptic on this idea of him being a "big game" guy. Take a walk back through the big games from last season. Yes, Hodgson scored an impressive goal or two. This being said, he also was on the ice for a goal or two. In a 4-3 OT loss to Detroit, Hodgson had no points and was -2. In a 4-3 win over Detroit, Hodgson got a goal, and finished the game -1. In that big 4-3 win over Boston, Hodgson got a goal and an assist, and finished the game even.

regards,

G.

For those panicking about Zack have a look at Todd Bertuzzi's stats prior to coming to Vancouver.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=369

He started out with 39 points in 95-96

96-97 23 Points

97-98 18 Points

Gets traded to Vancouver were he gets 15 points in 22 games.

Two years later he explodes for 50 points

Power forwards much like defensemen take a while to develop. Probably due to players "filling out" as they hit their mid-20's.

The only issue is if Arniel's coaching is that bad, are we hurting his development?

Is Arniel really as bad a coach as everyone says? Wasn't this board clamoring for him to replace AV a few years ago and complained heavily when the Canucks lost him to Columbus?

He's not a bad coach, it just seems like this year he's not implementing the proper system for a team that has as much high-end offensive AHL talent as the Wolves have.

Archived