1489 replies to this topic

#991 One one two

One one two

Got skipped

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,546 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

Poor outing? did you watch the game his line was the best in the first 2 periods, pressure playing great defence. Gave his stick to Garrison and made a great kick pass to Garrison to clear the zone when the Wild were putting serious pressure on the Canucks. The goon show that the Wild hired this year wanted nothing to do with him. Lol to the posters here that wanted Konopka or Rupp on this team that is the definition of 5ht line plugs.

Yes, I watched the game. He seemed weak and uninterested in it -- he didn't put up much of any pressure in the forecheck and was otherwise invisible in the offensive zone. He was decent defensively (save a few nasty turnovers), but that doesn't mean he had a very good game.

One play usually won't make a game and any forward would've given their stick away to a defender that needed it. Plus he kinda screwed up and didn't give his stick to Garrison as soon as he should have.

Edited by One one two, 08 February 2013 - 09:47 AM.

#992 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,818 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

Yes, I watched the game. He seemed weak and uninterested in it -- he didn't put up much of any pressure in the forecheck and was otherwise invisible in the offensive zone. He was pretty decent defensively, but that doesn't mean he had a very good game.

One play usually won't make a game and any forward would've given their stick away to a defender that needed it. Plus he kinda screwed up and didn't give his stick to Garrison as soon as he should have.

I didn't see that at all. I saw kass with at least three pretty good scoring chances. I saw some chemistry with Lappy and Higgins, and I saw them hem the other team in their own end on several occasions, and he's outstanding, positionally, in his own end. He continues to show me that he has a well rounded game that can adapt to many different roles. Of course he's not going to get the same quality chances he was getting the twins and he's certainly not going to get the same ice time, but when he was on the ice, he was still an impact player.

I'm disappointed they're not using him on the top 2 lines, but I'm thrilled he's showing such versatility.

#993 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

Hell they even talked about that line several times during the broadcast. It's like being hit in the face with a fish and then saying "what fish".
Posted Image
Posted Image

#994 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 19,591 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

I didn't see that at all. I saw kass with at least three pretty good scoring chances. I saw some chemistry with Lappy and Higgins, and I saw them hem the other team in their own end on several occasions, and he's outstanding, positionally, in his own end. He continues to show me that he has a well rounded game that can adapt to many different roles. Of course he's not going to get the same quality chances he was getting the twins and he's certainly not going to get the same ice time, but when he was on the ice, he was still an impact player.

I'm disappointed they're not using him on the top 2 lines, but I'm thrilled he's showing such versatility.

Yeah, another good game for Kassian - very aware of where his team-mates are - some very nice passes last night and a near tap in for Schroeder that was deflected but once again showed excellent vision - also consistently backchecking and aware of his responsibility on his side of the red line. No concerns whatsoever with his game last night.

#995 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

POPULAR

Can't believe people are being critical of Zack's play last night. He didn't give up his stick right away? Really? :sadno:
He didn't get a point? :shock:

He's 22 yrs old folks. Cut him some slack. He isn't going to get a point a game, play physical ever night, fight all the time. Throughout the season, you will probably see him playing on all 4 lines, which makes him a 2-way player.
He will make mistakes. That's what young guys do when they are developing as players.

The Higgy, Lapierre, Kassian line looked awesome last night. Kass is solid defensively and has great hockey sense. His passing is exceptional and he has very good puck possession abilities. He obviously can pot some goals as well.

All that and he hasn't even had a full season in the NHL. :towel:

#996 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 19,591 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Can't believe people are being critical of Zack's play last night. He didn't give up his stick right away? Really? :sadno:

He's 22 yrs old folks. Cut him some slack. He isn't going to get a point a game, play physical ever night, fight all the time. Throughout the season, you will probably see him playing on all 4 lines, which makes him a 2-way player.
He will make mistakes. That's what young guys do when they are developing as players.

The Higgy, Lapierre, Kassian line looked awesome last night. Kass is solid defensively and has great hockey sense. His passing is exceptional and he has very good puck possession abilities. He obviously can pot some goals as well.

ditto.

#997 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,587 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

Hell they even talked about that line several times during the broadcast. It's like being hit in the face with a fish and then saying "what fish".

It's true. People need to start looking at the subtle moves that players make during the game.

I think Kassian can be invisible to alot of people because they don't notice him parked in front of the net causing chaos. When you just follow the puck you don't always notice what the other players on the ice are doing to help their teammates.

Kassian's play without the puck has impressed me. He's usually in the right spot, and creates room for his linemates, which is what you want to see from him.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#998 oeteman

oeteman

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

Agreed with above. Why are some of you so determined to see him fail? The kid is gonna be great, be a real fan! He played great last night and who cares if he didnt register a point.... We won the game so he must have done something right consider all his ice time.

#999 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

Mm-hmm, so Cody's goals are all flukes, huh?

Here's a question - how many goals would Kassian have on the 3rd line and playing 11 minutes per game? Interesting that guys like you go on and on about how "sheltered" Cody's minutes were here, yet Zack Kassian has been spoon-fed a spot alongside Daniel & Henrik Sedin. Explain that one.

Top line faces the top defense pairings... The third doesn't so he would probably score more

#1000 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

All Cody's fault, obviously.

:rolleyes:

Quite a few of those 21 goals actually were all Hodgson's fault.

Oh yeah, I'm sure that's the reason. :rolleyes:

Dale Weise also surely would be leading this team in points if he was on the 1st line, but since Daniel Sedin isn't very effective in a bottom-six checking role, Dale will never be able to get those plum minutes on the top line.

Keep dreaming.

So now you're equating Zack Kassian's talent to Dale Weise's? Am I reading this correctly and can I hold you to that comparable?

In terms of hockey pool decisions, keeping Kassian makes little sense on a team that has Burrows, Booth, Raymond, Kesler and Higgins (all previous 20g scorers) ahead of Kassian in terms of powerplay winger options to play w/ the twins. Meanwhile over in Buffalo CoHo is competing with centres Tyler Ennis, Steve Ott and a raw rookie in Grigorenko. Five options vs two options. You tell me, which is the thinner depth chart?

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#1001 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

Top line faces the top defense pairings... The third doesn't so he would probably score more

Um, OK.

I guess we'll see how many goals he gets while on the 3rd line. So far, that tally is 0.

#1002 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

I thought he was OK tonight. Not really noticeable besides the scoring chance that he had.

But my concern with Kassian is his skating. He doesn't seem to have any endurance at all. He'll have a decent burst of speed and then just totally coast a couple of strides later. In that respect, not at all comparable to Bertuzzi.

Generally, the type of player he is, that is what you get. Not a lot of power forwards are going to win a skating race. Bertuzzi was the same. He was a good skater but he wasn't that quick. I mean it seems that you're incorrect about the endurance thing because he's not sluggishly skating around the ice at the end of his shifts.

I find it strangely ironic that CoHo's "biggest fan" is ripping on Kassian's skating. If there's one major concern with CoHo, it's also his skating.

There's a difference in carrying 215lbs around the ice and 180lbs, and yet CoHo is still the slower skater...

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#1003 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

Of course they were :rolleyes:

When Kassian fed it to Justin Schultz in the slot, only to be bailed out by Luongo, who's fault was that?

So now you're equating Zack Kassian's talent to Dale Weise's? Am I reading this correctly and can I hold you to that comparable?

In terms of hockey pool decisions, keeping Kassian makes little sense on a team that has Burrows, Booth, Raymond, Kesler and Higgins (all previous 20g scorers) ahead of Kassian in terms of powerplay winger options to play w/ the twins. Meanwhile over in Buffalo CoHo is competing with centres Tyler Ennis, Steve Ott and a raw rookie in Grigorenko. Five options vs two options. You tell me, which is the thinner depth chart?

I'm not comparing Kassian to Weise. You're saying that the Kassian "won't get the plum minutes" on the 1st line is because he "has the ability" to be effective in a checking role. I'm saying that that's a bunch of crap.

Hockey pool decisions...wha? When did that become a factor?

Edited by King of the ES, 08 February 2013 - 12:23 PM.

#1004 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

I find it strangely ironic that CoHo's "biggest fan" is ripping on Kassian's skating. If there's one major concern with CoHo, it's also his skating.

There's a difference in carrying 215lbs around the ice and 180lbs, and yet CoHo is still the slower skater...

Hodgson might have a slower acceleration, but he's able to skate at peak speed for a period that appears to be longer than 2 seconds.

#1005 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Um, OK.

I guess we'll see how many goals he gets while on the 3rd line. So far, that tally is 0.

Do you ever start replies with out saying um or ok or anything that doesn't make you look like a douche?

#1006 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

What does that have to do with anything?

Thanks for coming out though.

Absolutely nothing. Man...you guys really can't take humour over on Canucks Talk, can you?

#1007 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

Of course they were :rolleyes:

When Kassian fed it to Justin Schultz in the slot, only to be bailed out by Luongo, who's fault was that?

Ummm, Kassian's? Who else's would it be? Vigneault's?!

Who was mainly at fault for the Daniel Sedin goal last night? Zach Parise. There are defensive assignments, you know.

I'm not comparing Kassian to Weise. You're saying that the Kassian "won't get the plum minutes" on the 1st line is because he "has the ability" to be effective in a checking role. I'm saying that that's a bunch of crap.

Hockey pool decisions...wha? When did that become a factor?

Please, read for context:

Patience my friends, i still think we won this trade in the long run..

I have both kassian and hodgson in my fantasy pool as late picks :)

If I were you, I'd be shopping Kassian and keeping CoHo. I like Kassian as much as anyone around but he's just not going to get the plum minutes consistently like Hodgson will since Kassian can still be effective in a bottom-six checking role whereas Hodgson can't.

#1008 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,616 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

Oh wow you people are actually delusional. I don't think this is the place for me. He was the worst forward tonight by a large margin. Anyone who doesn't have their head up their ass would tell you that. Oh man, you guys gave me a good laugh.

so when did you start coaching in The NHL?
Just curious.
Also fail free to go somewhere else where people will worship your idiocy....possibly www.mapleleafs.com?

OXwjSoG.gif

#1009 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

Please, read for context:

If I were you, I'd be shopping Kassian and keeping CoHo. I like Kassian as much as anyone around but he's just not going to get the plum minutes consistently like Hodgson will since Kassian can still be effective in a bottom-six checking role whereas Hodgson can't.

Ah, OK. I apologize. Must've missed that part.

...though I don't necessarily agree that Cody can't be effective on a bottom-six role, as evidenced by his time with us last year.

#1010 Guest_Gumballthechewy_*

Guest_Gumballthechewy_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

If that's a bad game for Kass, we have nothing to worry aboul.

I know, right?

#1011 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,587 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

Absolutely nothing. Man...you guys really can't take humour over on Canucks Talk, can you?

That was a joke?

Not exactly easy to tell sometimes on here. :lol:

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#1012 campers11

campers11

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

Agreed with above. Why are some of you so determined to see him fail? The kid is gonna be great, be a real fan! He played great last night and who cares if he didnt register a point.... We won the game so he must have done something right consider all his ice time.

Because the Canucks fan base is bipolar .... just 2 weeks ago people were talking about how we were going to miss the playoffs this year..... AND SERIOUSLY THINKING WE WERE, I didn't see very many people disagree.
Posted Image Cred to "Keslers happy dance"!
RIP Luc Bourdon
Thank you linden.
No, thank you Chuck Norris.

#1013 ihavenoideawhatsgoingon

ihavenoideawhatsgoingon

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

I'm not sure you can honestly critique anyones game last night.... Maybe for a couple weeks choose any other team... whichever team you would be happy with cheering for.... watch two weeks of their games.... and if you are this picky... you will be complaining about them too... Honestly i hope all you whiners are kidding...

#1014 WolfxHaley

WolfxHaley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

...though I don't necessarily agree that Cody can't be effective on a bottom-six role, as evidenced by his time with us last year.

Seems like an on-going theme with your arguments...

Edited by SonGoku23, 08 February 2013 - 01:16 PM.

Posted Image

#1015 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

I guess that all depends on what you mean by "bottom-six role". Yes, he can be effective if he is getting predominantly Ozone starts as a 3rd liner but is that not atypical of most 3rd liners? Most 3rd liners are predominantly Dzone starters. In Vancouver we have the luxury of a 2nd line centre that happens to be a Selke winner and can eat up those zone starts (along with Malhotra). In Buffalo they don't have that luxury of a 2nd line Selke centre and when you couple CoHo's 40% faceoff percentage with Dzone starts against opposition top lines, you get a barrage of scoring chances against.

Unfortunately, Kesler might not have appreciated CoHo cutting into his Ozone starts either, and CoHo likewise didn't appreciate the skimpy minutes, which likely had a further impact on CoHo being moved.

Edited by Millerdraft, 08 February 2013 - 01:38 PM.

#1016 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

True enough. If anyone goes to the Buffalo site and reviews the videos of the scoring plays for each game, you can see many instances of Hodgson coming in to the defensive zone late (ie. he is slow), or someone skates around him (with little to no attempt at checking on Hodgson's part). or he gets checked off the puck, or he is just careless.

I'm surprised that Hodgson has not scored more points than he has playing with Vanek and Pominville. From a number of the goals which that line has scored, it appears to be that the wingers are what makes that line work while Hodgson is a completely replaceable part and may well be once Grigorenko gets his feet under him, or the Sabres trade for another center.

I'm starting to see it as a Sedin line situation prior to them getting Burrows. ATM Hodgson might be Anson Carter or Steve Bernier?

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#1017 One one two

One one two

Got skipped

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,546 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

Re the bolded text:

If that was directed at me; I wasn't the one who first brought it up, nor do I think it was a big deal. The other poster merely brought it up as a compliment to his play, and I simply responded to it appropriately. I didn't want to ignore it seeing as I was having a conversation with them. ;) Again, obviously not a big deal.

If it wasn't; sorry for taking it the wrong way.

Re the rest of the post:

Does everyone expect him to play perfectly game-in and game-out? No, not at all, and I'm sure we all understand that he's still developing and will not be scoring hat-tricks every game. Personally, I'm not upset with Kassian at all -- I just felt his performance was a little weak last night and I don't think he should be earning praise from it... Stats entirely disregarded.

#1018 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

I'm surprised that Hodgson has not scored more points than he has playing with Vanek and Pominville. From a number of the goals which that line has scored, it appears to be that the wingers are what makes that line work while Hodgson is a completely replaceable part and may well be once Grigorenko gets his feet under him, or the Sabres trade for another center.

Riiiiiiight.

Vanek's production had dropped in both 2010-11 and 2011-12. He was firmly entrenched in the "awful contract" category. Pominville has also never been a PPG player. 3-year average of ~60. You really think that Cody has nothing to do with their hot starts?

As for Grigorenko, he has been useless. Barely getting 1 shot per game.

I know that you, and many on this site, are cheering for Cody to flop, but it's just not going to happen. He is simply too good. "Replaceable part". :lol:

#1019 ihavenoideawhatsgoingon

ihavenoideawhatsgoingon

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

ES i can only imagine how annoying you are in real life... I am guessing you probably watch the games alone. Hodgeson is a good player and he probably will have a higher PPG in his career.... But he didn't want to be here, he did not fit on any of our top two lines so we traded for the type of player that this team needed... I don't want hodgeson to flop, i don't really care if he does or does not... because i am a canucks fan i really just care if the canucks do well... and they are doing well... so stop complaining... Though i am sure it is just your nature and that will never happen

#1020 WolfxHaley

WolfxHaley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

ES i can only imagine how annoying you are in real life... I am guessing you probably watch the games alone. Hodgeson is a good player and he probably will have a higher PPG in his career.... But he didn't want to be here, he did not fit on any of our top two lines so we traded for the type of player that this team needed... I don't want hodgeson to flop, i don't really care if he does or does not... because i am a canucks fan i really just care if the canucks do well... and they are doing well... so stop complaining... Though i am sure it is just your nature and that will never happen

Don't tell him that because now its all Gillis and that incompetent management team. I mean what were they thinking not give Mr. Hodgson 60 minutes of ice time!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.