The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Multiple Warning Signs Surrounding Zack Kassian

King of the ES

Kassian was amazing tonight, he broke into the offensive zone *almost* every time he got the puck. (2nd period screw up aside) I really liked the way he and Schroeder played together with Schroeder's speed opening up lanes while the defense was scrambling to get to Kassian who was crashing the net. There was a couple really good scoring opportunities and the wild defense could not contend with 3 lines playing like we did. And Kassian is a big reason why.

Why doesn't this thread get bumped when Kassian plays poorly???? Absolutely invisible the last few games.

Funny, I notice him every game. Whether it's a nice passing plays, breaking up a play, or parked in front of their goalie. It's the same with Schroeder, nice passes, battle along the boards, breaking plays up. Scoring isn't the be all and end all in sports. There's far more to the game than that.

Has Ballard been invisible? No recent hip checks, no fights, no goals, no assists.....

He had one of his poorer outings, not sure why Bossy is getting berated like this.

Poor outing? did you watch the game his line was the best in the first 2 periods, pressure playing great defence. Gave his stick to Garrison and made a great kick pass to Garrison to clear the zone when the Wild were putting serious pressure on the Canucks. The goon show that the Wild hired this year wanted nothing to do with him. Lol to the posters here that wanted Konopka or Rupp on this team that is the definition of 5ht line plugs.

If I were you, I'd be shopping Kassian and keeping CoHo. I like Kassian as much as anyone around but he's just not going to get the plum minutes consistently like Hodgson will since Kassian can still be effective in a bottom-six checking role whereas Hodgson can't.

Oh yeah, I'm sure that's the reason. :rolleyes:

Dale Weise also surely would be leading this team in points if he was on the 1st line, but since Daniel Sedin isn't very effective in a bottom-six checking role, Dale will never be able to get those plum minutes on the top line.

Keep dreaming.

Kassian was amazing tonight, he broke into the offensive zone *almost* every time he got the puck. (2nd period screw up aside) I really liked the way he and Schroeder played together with Schroeder's speed opening up lanes while the defense was scrambling to get to Kassian who was crashing the net. There was a couple really good scoring opportunities and the wild defense could not contend with 3 lines playing like we did. And Kassian is a big reason why.

I thought he was OK tonight. Not really noticeable besides the scoring chance that he had.

But my concern with Kassian is his skating. He doesn't seem to have any endurance at all. He'll have a decent burst of speed and then just totally coast a couple of strides later. In that respect, not at all comparable to Bertuzzi.

I thought he was OK tonight. Not really noticeable besides the scoring chance that he had.

But my concern with Kassian is his skating. He doesn't seem to have any endurance at all. He'll have a decent burst of speed and then just totally coast a couple of strides later. In that respect, not at all comparable to Bertuzzi.

You ever watch Lucic skate Kassian makes him look like he is in glue, same with Clowe and that is the 2 guys that are his comparables right now. Let him mature and develop and he has a good shot to become a David Backes type player.

Generally, the type of player he is, that is what you get. Not a lot of power forwards are going to win a skating race. Bertuzzi was the same. He was a good skater but he wasn't that quick. I mean it seems that you're incorrect about the endurance thing because he's not sluggishly skating around the ice at the end of his shifts.

Poor outing? did you watch the game his line was the best in the first 2 periods, pressure playing great defence. Gave his stick to Garrison and made a great kick pass to Garrison to clear the zone when the Wild were putting serious pressure on the Canucks. The goon show that the Wild hired this year wanted nothing to do with him. Lol to the posters here that wanted Konopka or Rupp on this team that is the definition of 5ht line plugs.

Yes, I watched the game. He seemed weak and uninterested in it -- he didn't put up much of any pressure in the forecheck and was otherwise invisible in the offensive zone. He was decent defensively (save a few nasty turnovers), but that doesn't mean he had a very good game.

One play usually won't make a game and any forward would've given their stick away to a defender that needed it. Plus he kinda screwed up and didn't give his stick to Garrison as soon as he should have.

Yes, I watched the game. He seemed weak and uninterested in it -- he didn't put up much of any pressure in the forecheck and was otherwise invisible in the offensive zone. He was pretty decent defensively, but that doesn't mean he had a very good game.

One play usually won't make a game and any forward would've given their stick away to a defender that needed it. Plus he kinda screwed up and didn't give his stick to Garrison as soon as he should have.

I didn't see that at all. I saw kass with at least three pretty good scoring chances. I saw some chemistry with Lappy and Higgins, and I saw them hem the other team in their own end on several occasions, and he's outstanding, positionally, in his own end. He continues to show me that he has a well rounded game that can adapt to many different roles. Of course he's not going to get the same quality chances he was getting the twins and he's certainly not going to get the same ice time, but when he was on the ice, he was still an impact player.

I'm disappointed they're not using him on the top 2 lines, but I'm thrilled he's showing such versatility.

I didn't see that at all. I saw kass with at least three pretty good scoring chances. I saw some chemistry with Lappy and Higgins, and I saw them hem the other team in their own end on several occasions, and he's outstanding, positionally, in his own end. He continues to show me that he has a well rounded game that can adapt to many different roles. Of course he's not going to get the same quality chances he was getting the twins and he's certainly not going to get the same ice time, but when he was on the ice, he was still an impact player.

I'm disappointed they're not using him on the top 2 lines, but I'm thrilled he's showing such versatility.

Yeah, another good game for Kassian - very aware of where his team-mates are - some very nice passes last night and a near tap in for Schroeder that was deflected but once again showed excellent vision - also consistently backchecking and aware of his responsibility on his side of the red line. No concerns whatsoever with his game last night.

Can't believe people are being critical of Zack's play last night. He didn't give up his stick right away? Really? :sadno:

He didn't get a point? :shock:

He's 22 yrs old folks. Cut him some slack. He isn't going to get a point a game, play physical ever night, fight all the time. Throughout the season, you will probably see him playing on all 4 lines, which makes him a 2-way player.

He will make mistakes. That's what young guys do when they are developing as players.

The Higgy, Lapierre, Kassian line looked awesome last night. Kass is solid defensively and has great hockey sense. His passing is exceptional and he has very good puck possession abilities. He obviously can pot some goals as well.

All that and he hasn't even had a full season in the NHL. :towel:

Can't believe people are being critical of Zack's play last night. He didn't give up his stick right away? Really? :sadno:

He didn't get a point? :shock:

He's 22 yrs old folks. Cut him some slack. He isn't going to get a point a game, play physical ever night, fight all the time. Throughout the season, you will probably see him playing on all 4 lines, which makes him a 2-way player.

He will make mistakes. That's what young guys do when they are developing as players.

The Higgy, Lapierre, Kassian line looked awesome last night. Kass is solid defensively and has great hockey sense. His passing is exceptional and he has very good puck possession abilities. He obviously can pot some goals as well.

All that and he hasn't even had a full season in the NHL. :towel:

ditto.

Hell they even talked about that line several times during the broadcast. It's like being hit in the face with a fish and then saying "what fish".

It's true. People need to start looking at the subtle moves that players make during the game.

I think Kassian can be invisible to alot of people because they don't notice him parked in front of the net causing chaos. When you just follow the puck you don't always notice what the other players on the ice are doing to help their teammates.

Kassian's play without the puck has impressed me. He's usually in the right spot, and creates room for his linemates, which is what you want to see from him.

Agreed with above. Why are some of you so determined to see him fail? The kid is gonna be great, be a real fan! He played great last night and who cares if he didnt register a point.... We won the game so he must have done something right consider all his ice time.

Mm-hmm, so Cody's goals are all flukes, huh?

Here's a question - how many goals would Kassian have on the 3rd line and playing 11 minutes per game? Interesting that guys like you go on and on about how "sheltered" Cody's minutes were here, yet Zack Kassian has been spoon-fed a spot alongside Daniel & Henrik Sedin. Explain that one.

Top line faces the top defense pairings... The third doesn't so he would probably score more

All Cody's fault, obviously.

:rolleyes:

Quite a few of those 21 goals actually were all Hodgson's fault.

Oh yeah, I'm sure that's the reason. :rolleyes:

Dale Weise also surely would be leading this team in points if he was on the 1st line, but since Daniel Sedin isn't very effective in a bottom-six checking role, Dale will never be able to get those plum minutes on the top line.

Keep dreaming.

So now you're equating Zack Kassian's talent to Dale Weise's? Am I reading this correctly and can I hold you to that comparable?

In terms of hockey pool decisions, keeping Kassian makes little sense on a team that has Burrows, Booth, Raymond, Kesler and Higgins (all previous 20g scorers) ahead of Kassian in terms of powerplay winger options to play w/ the twins. Meanwhile over in Buffalo CoHo is competing with centres Tyler Ennis, Steve Ott and a raw rookie in Grigorenko. Five options vs two options. You tell me, which is the thinner depth chart?

Archived