The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Priest Blames Domestic Violence on Lack of Domesticity, Housework by Women

dudeone

ESTHER ZUCKERMAN DEC 27, 2012

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2012/12/priest-blames-domestic-violence-lack-domesticity-housework-women/60370/

The Pope may have called for peace during his Christmas message, but the Italian Catholic community was thrust into controversy over the holiday when a priest posted on his church's bulletin board a text about domestic violence against women that seemed to place blame on the victims. The text was also posted on the Catholic website Pontifex.roma.it, which L'Huffington Post says has a reputation for being homophobic, anti-Semitic, and racist. On that site it was attributed to Bruno Volpe, who has written in support of the priest, Piero Corsi. The screed claimed that men can't have possibly

just turned violent — and that women who don't take care of homes must share the blame for violence. Reuters has a translation and la Repubblica has an image of the flyer itself.

Babies left to themselves, dirty houses, cold meals and fast food at home, soiled clothes. So if a family ends up in a mess and turns into crime (a form of violence which should be condemned and punished firmly) often the responsibility is shared.

The text also blamed women for wearing provocative clothing.

James Mackenzie of Reuters explained the extent of the problem of violence against women in Italy, noting a UN report which found that a third of Italian women had been reported being domestic violence victims, and 127 women were murdered by men in 2010 for "honor, men's unemployment and jealousy by the perpetrator."

Now, let's also point out that the the priest responsible for posting the note, Piero Corsi, has a nasty habit of posting offensive and inflammatory items to the bulletin board. He previously put up cartoons lampooning Islam. And Mark Easter of L'Huffington Post explained that in responding to a journalist's question about his recent controversy Corsi lashed out with an anti-gay slur.

Mackenzie reported that both the mayor of the village of San Terenzo di Lerici that houses the church and the bishop of the province denounced the flyer. Reports of Corsi's resignation were later contradicted.

2213cbd1708501531d2c681439d6951c_250x333.jpeg

ESTHER ZUCKERMAN DEC 27, 2012

http://www.theatlant...rk-women/60370/

The Pope may have called for peace during his Christmas message, but the Italian Catholic community was thrust into controversy over the holiday when a priest posted on his church's bulletin board a text about domestic violence against women that seemed to place blame on the victims. The text was also posted on the Catholic website Pontifex.roma.it, which L'Huffington Post says has a reputation for being homophobic, anti-Semitic, and racist. On that site it was attributed to Bruno Volpe, who has written in support of the priest, Piero Corsi. The screed claimed that men can't have possibly

just turned violent — and that women who don't take care of homes must share the blame for violence. Reuters has a translation and la Repubblica has an image of the flyer itself.

Babies left to themselves, dirty houses, cold meals and fast food at home, soiled clothes. So if a family ends up in a mess and turns into crime (a form of violence which should be condemned and punished firmly) often the responsibility is shared.

The text also blamed women for wearing provocative clothing.

James Mackenzie of Reuters explained the extent of the problem of violence against women in Italy, noting a UN report which found that a third of Italian women had been reported being domestic violence victims, and 127 women were murdered by men in 2010 for "honor, men's unemployment and jealousy by the perpetrator."

Now, let's also point out that the the priest responsible for posting the note, Piero Corsi, has a nasty habit of posting offensive and inflammatory items to the bulletin board. He previously put up cartoons lampooning Islam. And Mark Easter of L'Huffington Post explained that in responding to a journalist's question about his recent controversy Corsi lashed out with an anti-gay slur.

Mackenzie reported that both the mayor of the village of San Terenzo di Lerici that houses the church and the bishop of the province denounced the flyer. Reports of Corsi's resignation were later contradicted.

putting the domestic abuse issue aside, which is ludicrous, there a lot of good things about a traditional, 50's style relationship marriage. A lot of women enjoy that traditional role of being the home maker as that's the way it's been for humans for a cpl million years. I think a lot of "modern women" are unhappy in their dogged pursuit of the traditional male role in society because they are denying the role women have fulfilled since the human species walked the earth.

That said, no woman should be forced into that role and everyone should be free to choose the life they want.

I was mostly calling the mentality into question. "A woman's place is in the kitchen"...that kind of nonsense. It's 2012...and I don't know very many women from my generation on at least that want a whole lot to do with the "traditional" gender roles as it relates to this society. There are high profile females in politics, sports, journalism, even in the business world..they are admirable women...and they certainly didn't get to where they are by slaving over a stove, waiting on their husband hand and foot and pumping out a unit every nine months. The Catholic church has always been bass ackwards when it comes to their views on women, and this is really nothing we didn't already know.

I suffered domestic abuse last night, the issue wasn't so much my lack of fufilling domestic duties but the results of the Dos Santos-Velasquez fight.

I don't think she even meant to hit me but I happened to get a bloody lip because she's so uncoordinated.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Idiot, as if domestic violence wasn't more common back in "the good old days" or in societies where women still don't have much power.

I was mostly calling the mentality into question. "A woman's place is in the kitchen"...that kind of nonsense. It's 2012...and I don't know very many women from my generation on at least that want a whole lot to do with the "traditional" gender roles as it relates to this society. There are high profile females in politics, sports, journalism, even in the business world..they are admirable women...and they certainly didn't get to where they are by slaving over a stove, waiting on their husband hand and foot and pumping out a unit every nine months. The Catholic church has always been bass ackwards when it comes to their views on women, and this is really nothing we didn't already know.

I know many women who choose that role..........if its the role they, themselves, choose, does it make them any less admirable? I think raising a family and taking care of a household is as admirable as it gets.

when I get home from work, there is a drink, snack, and a clean house waiting for me when I walk in the door. I don't ask this of her, it's what makes her feel good.

You genuinely believe that most women who settle for the role of a housewife WANTED to grow up to be a housewife? I'd wager that a good many of them once had much higher aspirations and because of unforeseen events had to give up on those dreams. No one chooses to be subservient to others..feeling obligated to keep up the house, clean, cook...It isn't that they've chosen "housewife" it's because they either had little choice or it was a last resort.

Archived