#33 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Lol

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#34 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,073 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

You guys...too funny.

What do you want to do when you grow up little Jenny?
Oh, if I dare to dream....staying at home while my husband works so I can clean and cook and provide him with snacks when he gets home. Maybe if I'm lucky I could rub his feet!

#35 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,156 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

You guys...too funny.

Oh, if I dare to dream....staying at home while my husband works so I can clean and cook and provide him with snacks when he gets home. Maybe if I'm lucky I could rub his feet!

why is it so hard fo you to believe that there are women who enjoy that? Why do you feel the need to ridicule them?

It's as much of a job as going out and working out of the home, and there's a lot more benefits to having someone to take of the household than not. In my opinion the "latch key kid" generation hasn't been good for society, overall.

#36 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

why is it so hard fo you to believe that there are women who enjoy that? Why do you feel the need to ridicule them?

It's as much of a job as going out and working out of the home, and there's a lot more benefits to having someone to take of the household than not. In my opinion the "latch key kid" generation hasn't been good for society, overall.

Maybe there are women from the older generation who enjoy this lifestyle...but I would bet you if you surveyed 5000 women between the ages of 18-30 they are likely not going to say "Yes, I aspire to be a housewife".
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#37 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,156 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Maybe there are women from the older generation who enjoy this lifestyle...but I would bet you if you surveyed 5000 women between the ages of 18-30 they are likely not going to say "Yes, I aspire to be a housewife".

I'm not from the older generation, neither is my partner. You talk about "housewives" like a disease, when really I think it's one of the most important, hardest jobs out there.

#38 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

I'm not from the older generation, neither is my partner. You talk about "housewives" like a disease, when really I think it's one of the most important, hardest jobs out there.

Assume much? Disease? That's extremely harsh and unwarranted...I don't know where you came up with that...I'm not knocking being a housewife, I'm playing Devil's Advocate offering an opposing viewpoint that servility is not something that most women in this day and age aspire to.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#39 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

As my first wife observed...

Housework? That is why we have a cleaning service.

Cooking? That is why restaurants exist.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#40 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,156 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

Assume much? Disease? That's extremely harsh and unwarranted...I don't know where you came up with that...I'm not knocking being a housewife, I'm playing Devil's Advocate offering an opposing viewpoint that servility is not something that most women in this day and age aspire to.

you're not knocking being a housewife yet you use terms like servility to describe the role? Like the women are beaten down and forced into domestic slavery and servitude.

#41 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,156 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

As my first wife observed...

Housework? That is why we have a cleaning service.

Cooking? That is why restaurants exist.

first wife indeed

#42 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

you're not knocking being a housewife yet you use terms like servility to describe the role? Like the women are beaten down and forced into domestic slavery and servitude.

No...like in a lot of cases they have an unplanned pregnancy or something else that is unforeseen that they have to deal with and then actually have no choice whether or not to accept the role...
Posted Image

#43 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,156 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

No...like in a lot of cases they have an unplanned pregnancy or something else that is unforeseen that they have to deal with and then actually have no choice whether or not to accept the role...

fair enough, but that's not what we've been talking about is it? We've been talking about women who make a conscious choice to take on that role, not one where they have no choices.

#44 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

fair enough, but that's not what we've been talking about is it? We've been talking about women who make a conscious choice to take on that role, not one where they have no choices.

My major point was that in my experience...and this is a matter of an observational opinion...is that nearly all of the women I know..women in my family, girls I went to high school/college with, whom I dated...they all had higher dreams and aspirations than "housewife"...but because of mitigating factors had to give up their dreams of becoming veterinarians, doctors, teachers...and yeah I'm sure there are a few (again, no one I know) who consciously make the choice to become a housewife..
Posted Image

#45 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

My major point was that in my experience...and this is a matter of an observational opinion...is that nearly all of the women I know..women in my family, girls I went to high school/college with, whom I dated...they all had higher dreams and aspirations than "housewife"...but because of mitigating factors had to give up their dreams of becoming veterinarians, doctors, teachers...and yeah I'm sure there are a few (again, no one I know) who consciously make the choice to become a housewife..

Just because that's the only type of mentality women you know have doesn't mean every woman in the world is the same, there are women who do truly enjoy being a homemaker regardless of how many women you know that don't, plain and simple.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#46 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

Just because that's the only type of mentality women you know have doesn't mean every woman in the world is the same, there are women who do truly enjoy being a homemaker regardless of how many women you know that don't, plain and simple.

Hence the "in my experience" preface.....
Posted Image

#47 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,073 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

Hey if you've found a woman who lives to serve you, good on you. I wouldn't call that a wife though.

#48 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,156 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

Hey if you've found a woman who lives to serve you, good on you. I wouldn't call that a wife though.

Not looking for a fight, I'm genuinely interested in why that would make her any less of a wife, person, or partner?

#49 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

Not looking for a fight, I'm genuinely interested in why that would make her any less of a wife, person, or partner?

To him, a woman could not possibly want to be married and a housewife. :lol:

#50 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,073 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

I suppose its all depends on how you define these things but to me a wife is a partner, an equal. A partner or equal isn't someone who lives to serve the other partner or equal. A relationship based on servitude is either a maid or slave depending on pay or not.

I would not want a partner whose happiness or self-fullfilment was based on my happiness.

#51 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Real jobs suck. Sure there's cool ones out there, but the chances are you aint gonna get one. I would love to stay home and wrench on my cars, other hobbies if all it meant was keeping things clean and preppin a steak dinner. That's called post lottery life.

#52 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,073 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

To him, a woman could not possibly want to be married and a housewife. :lol:

Love how you chirp here but when asked questions elsewhere you turn mute. I may be a dick sometimes but at least I'm not a hypocrite coward.

#53 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

You guys...too funny.

Mate i was actually mocking him for mocking you :)

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#54 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,156 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

I suppose its all depends on how you define these things but to me a wife is a partner, an equal. A partner or equal isn't someone who lives to serve the other partner or equal. A relationship based on servitude is either a maid or slave depending on pay or not.

I would not want a partner whose happiness or self-fullfilment was based on my happiness.

you make some pretty big assumptions..........if it's her choice, that's not inequality, so what makes it an unequal relationship?

#55 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Right on Inane , i want my relationship to define the meaning of , the sum of the parts is greater than the whole .

Edited by The Ratiocinator, 02 January 2013 - 02:18 PM.

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#56 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Love how you chirp here but when asked questions elsewhere you turn mute. I may be a dick sometimes but at least I'm not a hypocrite coward.

Please oh please, good sir, tell me where someone responded to me. I must give everyone that asks me a question a rebuttal.. I wouldn't want to be a pixel coward now. It matters to me greatly what others think. Please sir tell me. :frantic:

#57 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,156 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

Real jobs suck. Sure there's cool ones out there, but the chances are you aint gonna get one. I would love to stay home and wrench on my cars, other hobbies if all it meant was keeping things clean and preppin a steak dinner. That's called post lottery life.

now see if this is the attitude and belief system of the person who has someone doing it for him, then I would say that would be inequality. Anyone who has someone at home keeping the home knows it's as tough as any job in the real world.

#58 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

I wish i could plus this post a hundred times .

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#59 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,073 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

Please oh please, good sir, tell me where someone responded to me. I must give everyone that asks me a question a rebuttal.. I wouldn't want to be a pixel coward now. It matters to me greatly what others think. Please sir tell me. :frantic:

Typically when asked a direct question you answer. Hey if u don't play by those rules great, good for you.

#60 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

you make some pretty big assumptions..........if it's her choice, that's not inequality, so what makes it an unequal relationship?

In his world (contrary to the real one), a woman cannot consciously choose to be a housewife. It is not a "partnership" and she cannot derive enjoyment from taking care of the house, or staying at home with the kids to raise them rather than let a daycare do that. Hence the equating of it to slavery. Just waiting on the Godwin now. :lol:

It's one thing to have one's views of what a relationship entails. It's another to try and tell others that's how they should see it. If anything that's contradictory itself to freedom of choice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.