The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(PROPOSAL) CBA trade loophole

alpal06

Luongo to Toronto has been talked about at nauseum...however with the CBA potentially including amnesty buy outs, it may prove to be the last asset the Canucks can offer to sweeten the pot for the Leafs to give up what Canucks management dubs the fair amount.

So Leafs, throw Mike Komisarek in there. By acquiring Komisarek and henceforth buying him out, the Leafs save the amnesty clause for a guy like Tim Connolly, thus opening up just under 9 million in cap dollars for this year, and the Canucks solidify the trade they want by exploiting the amnesty clause. The Canucks don't really have any real long term candidates for buyouts outside of Malhotra and Ballard. However, I maintain that Ballard has trade value, while it may not be much, he is a valuable asset in the right situation. Buying out Connolly may seem strange given its the final year of his contract, but other intriguing players are about to come available via buy outs and cap dumping trades. A guy like Dany Heatley for instance.

So maybe:

To Vancouver: Joffrey Lupul, Carl Gunnarson, Mike Komisarek

To Toronto: Roberto Luongo, Anton Rodin

Luongo can get more than that. If he's going to Toronto its for prospects and picks. So maybe something like this

To Vancouver: Tyler Biggs + Nazem Kadri + 2013 1st or 2nd

To Toronto: Roberto Luongo + Mason Raymond

Luongo = Biggs, 1st/2nd

Raymond < Kadri

Malhotra is not a buy out candidate. He's UFA after this season.

Buyouts will happen at the end of 2012/13 season when teams would need to get under the proposed $60 million cap max for the 2013/14 season.

Connolly is also not a buy out candidate. Same reason as Malhotra. He will be UFA, won't have a contract to buy out.

Luongo can get more than that. If he's going to Toronto its for prospects and picks. So maybe something like this

To Vancouver: Tyler Biggs + Nazem Kadri + 2013 1st or 2nd

To Toronto: Roberto Luongo + Mason Raymond

Luongo = Biggs, 1st/2nd

Raymond < Kadri

i'd rather go all out prospects/picks or current roster players, and not a mix.

the team's aging, and we need to build a solid team to win right now, or start building for the future and roll with a make the playoffs with a high seed, but then get taken out.

As much as I love lupul, we need a playmaking 2nd line winger, over a sniper. I'd like to see a defenceman come back our way as well. I'm still not a 100% w/ tanev so it'd be nice to have someone else there.

:>

Archived