The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2013 Lines For Canucks

Snake Doctor

Poll Question  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Since we will have a season now, I thought I would bump this thread.

So on the opening night we won't see Kesler, for sure. So maybe a guy like Schroeder comes up?

Opening Night:

Sedin -Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Lapierre - Higgins

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

Volpatti/Weise - Malhotra - Kassian

Schroder hasn't even been called up according to the other thread.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Ebbett Hansen

Raymond Lapierre Kassian

Wiese Malhotra Volpatti

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Garrison

Ballard Tanev

Schnieder

Luongo

Get er on !!!

Guest Dasein

Forwards: Without Kesler, we are effectively a one-line team known as the Vancouver Sedins. Hence, I propose a line-up that features offensive talent all through lines 2-4 rather than having a more physical team featuring the likes of Volpatti, say instead of Raymond, on the 4th line. Weise also has better handles which is why he got the nod. This team is built to have 1st true scoring line, a 2nd line of youth, skill and size that hopefully will glue but may be suspect defensively (hence will get the Hodgson treatment as per last season), 3rd line featuring two ex-Hab chemistry and the Honey Badger, and the 4th line that has an offensive touch in Raymond and Weise.

D Sedin - H Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Schroeder - Kassian

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Raymond - Malhotra - Weise

Ebbett

Defense: Features two changes - Garrison in the top 4 in place of Salo, and Tanev in place of Rome. Alberts is the 7th man. The bottom pairing does not scream cup contending defensive pairing, so I hope we add a piece to address the issue.

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts

Goaltending: Luongo and Schneider will battle for the starting duty. The fan in me still believes in Luongo and wont' write him off just yet as good-as-traded-player. We can get a lot more for Schneider due to his youth, and if the returning pieces are address our issues in the top 6 and our defense, I would be more than comfortable with Luongo in net. He's still elite.

Luongo & Schneider

Opening night (without any moves):

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Schroeder - Higgins

Raymond - Lapierre - Hansen

Volpatti - Malhotra - Kassian

Weise

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts

Schneider

Luongo

There are a few changes that I personally would make but the above lineup is just a solid, safe bet. Alternatives I would like to see, though, are:

• Kassian on the top line with the Sedins - Kassian has the skill, passing ability and IQ that would make him an intriguing linemate for the Sedins and I honestly don't think he'd look out of place. It would be the perfect way to get Kassian off to a rip-roaring start offensively and hopefully as a result of putting some points on the board it would give him the confidence to produce on his own henceforth when he's skating on different lines.

• Burrows on the 2nd line with Schroeder and Booth - I feel like I don't really trust Booth with Schroeder. I'm not referring to defensive responsibilities or anything, moreso that Booth hasn't shown he can even produce consistenly with Kesler, let alone a rookie getting his first taste of the NHL. Schroeder IS skilled and I believe he can produce in a top 6 role in the NHL, but he cannot deal with the same problem he does in the AHL, which is playing with linemates who aren't skilled or smart enough to gel with him and finish off scoring chances that he creates. Burrows is a guy who I believe would have that finish and he has the smarts after playing with the Sedins for several years.

• Higgins on the checking line - The checking line is where I believe Higgins belongs. He's skilled enough that he can be a band-aid solution in the top 6, but he just fits like a glove in a checking role. He has the right mix of grit, two way ability and skill, just like Hansen.

• Raymond on the 4th line - This change is really just by necessity due to the other changes but I do like him here as he'd add some skill and speed to an otherwise offensively inept line. Volpatti, Malhotra and Raymond are quite quick and Raymond is at the very least a 40+ point player so all in all it's a 4th line that could give other teams' bottom lines and D pairings fits.

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Kassian

Booth - Schroeder - Burrows

Volpatti - Malhotra - Raymond

^ Who else likes that forward lineup?

Dank Hank Burr

Booth Kesler Kassian

Higgins Couturier Hansen

Lapierre Malhotra Neil

Hamhius Bieksa

Edler Garrison

Coburn Tanev

Alberts

Schneider Lack Ellis

Luongo and Ballard to Philly for Couturier and Coburn

Bryzgalov to Toronto for Kadri or Bozak (or who cares what...)

Raymond to Ottawa for Chris Neil.

Sign Dan Ellis as insurance to back up Eddie Lack due to his hip flexor.

Opening night (without any moves):

Booth - Schroeder - Higgins

Raymond - Lapierre - Hansen

Volpatti - Malhotra - Kassian

Weise

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts

Schneider

Luongo

There are a few changes that I personally would make but the above lineup is just a solid, safe bet. Alternatives I would like to see, though, are:

• Kassian on the top line with the Sedins - Kassian has the skill, passing ability and IQ that would make him an intriguing linemate for the Sedins and I honestly don't think he'd look out of place. It would be the perfect way to get Kassian off to a rip-roaring start offensively and hopefully as a result of putting some points on the board it would give him the confidence to produce on his own henceforth when he's skating on different lines.

• Burrows on the 2nd line with Schroeder and Booth - I feel like I don't really trust Booth with Schroeder. I'm not referring to defensive responsibilities or anything, moreso that Booth hasn't shown he can even produce consistenly with Kesler, let alone a rookie getting his first taste of the NHL. Schroeder IS skilled and I believe he can produce in a top 6 role in the NHL, but he cannot deal with the same problem he does in the AHL, which is playing with linemates who aren't skilled or smart enough to gel with him and finish off scoring chances that he creates. Burrows is a guy who I believe would have that finish and he has the smarts after playing with the Sedins for several years.

• Higgins on the checking line - The checking line is where I believe Higgins belongs. He's skilled enough that he can be a band-aid solution in the top 6, but he just fits like a glove in a checking role. He has the right mix of grit, two way ability and skill, just like Hansen.

• Raymond on the 4th line - This change is really just by necessity due to the other changes but I do like him here as he'd add some skill and speed to an otherwise offensively inept line. Volpatti, Malhotra and Raymond are quite quick and Raymond is at the very least a 40+ point player so all in all it's a 4th line that could give other teams' bottom lines and D pairings fits.

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Kassian

Booth - Schroeder - Burrows

^ Who else likes that forward lineup?

Sorry dude, but those lines are terrible. The most glaring mistake is putting in an unproven 5'9" player with no NHL experience as the 2nd line center. And why break up Burrows/Sedins? They have good chemistry and generate a ton of points for us every season. Sure, maybe give Kassian a try down the road if he earns it and the Sedins are getting pushed around, otherwise I really don't see the point. He's still at least a few years from developing into a quality power forward, and we need to win now.

One more thing:

My line suggestions are only for while Kesler is out. When he returns, it changes the whole complexion of the lineup. The Daniel-Hank-Burrows line would without a doubt be put back together and Kassian would hopefully slot in on the RW on the 2nd line with Booth and Kesler, which I believe is the position intended for him long term. Kesler's return would likely mean Schroeder goes back to the Wolves, unless he has a really, really good showing while he's up with the Canucks.

Booth - Kesler - Kassian

Weise

^That's what I'd like to see when Kesler is back and healthy.

One more thing:

My line suggestions are only for while Kesler is out. When he returns, it changes the whole complexion of the lineup. The Daniel-Hank-Burrows line would without a doubt be put back together and Kassian would hopefully slot in on the RW on the 2nd line with Booth and Kesler, which I believe is the position intended for him long term. Kesler's return would likely mean Schroeder goes back to the Wolves, unless he has a really, really good showing while he's up with the Canucks.

Booth - Kesler - Kassian

Weise

^That's what I'd like to see when Kesler is back and healthy.

This is my prediction for the OPENING NIGHT roster

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows (duh)

Higgins - Schroeder - Booth (I know it's a big risk putting Schroeder on the second line but if he has a good camp it's worth seeing if he can produce with two strong veteran wingers. If Schroeder doesn't work I'd try Higgins at centre and put Hansen, Raymond or Kassian in his wing spot.)

Raymond - Lapierre - Hansen (I like Lapierre more than Malhotra for this centre spot. Hansen is a lock, and I'm really hoping Raymond has a bit off a comeback and proves himself as at least a consistent top 9 player, if not Kassian takes his spot, that could happen anyways if Kassian impresses)

Weise - Malhotra - Kassian (Pretty solid fourth line good to have a defensively responsible centre on it. Hopefully Kass can learn some defensive skills from Manny as well as add some offence to that line)

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

That top six looks a little weak right now to me, we might be fine if Ballard becomes what he was supposed to be and Garrison exceeds his hype, but right now it's iffy.

Luongo/Schneider

Honestly I have no idea who will start in net opening night

Depending on a lot of things that line up should be good enough to keep us in the playoff picture until Kesler is back, but it could go the other way also.

I've seen a couple people mention that the Canucks' defense doesn't look good enough and that puzzles me. For me, it's the opposite. To me, it looks pretty deep and complete. The only change I would make is to buy out Ballard for cap reasons and replace him with a sturdy defensive defenseman. It's great that the Canucks have a bunch of two way, skating defensemen but Cup winning teams also have a guy or two who is just a straight shutdown guy. The Kings had one on every pairing last year with Mitchell, Scuderi and Greene. If the Canucks can get someone of that ilk to skate on the third pairing I'd be happy. Beyond that, what more could you ask for than two top pairings of Hamhuis-Bieksa and Edler-Garrison? We're fine on D, folks.

Archived