The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are you happy with your master's degree?

GLASSJAW

You can be as specific or vague as you like, but for those of you have received your master's degree, what do you think?

Was it a wise choice, financially? Did it lead to a job, or provide you with skills that enabled you to land a job, etc.? Or did you just do it to avoid the 'real world' and out of interest?

For those who are feeling particularly bold: Where'd you go, how much did it cost, and how long did it take?

I'm on the fence on the issue, and almost everything I search seems to have conflicting reports. Yes, a lot of people benefit from advanced degrees, but a lot don't. It's an expensive risk. But in terms of liberal arts, as they say, the MA is the new BA. In terms of the sciences, I don't really know.

I don't have a masters degree, but I do have a few accomplishments under my belt.

I've been to law school and passed the BAR.

I have a bachelors of science and scored a 13S on my MCATS.

Many years of school after graduating high-school and I own and operate a tire store because it makes more money, takes less work, and has less responsibility.

I don't have a masters degree, but I do have a few accomplishments under my belt.

I've been to law school and passed the BAR.

I have a bachelors of science and scored a 13S on my MCATS.

Many years of school after graduating high-school and I own and operate a tire store because it makes more money, takes less work, and has less responsibility.

My plan after my undergrad was to get a masters right away. Not the case anymore, as most of my friends who got a masters are working in the same jobs and getting the same pay as those who have an undergrad. Might just be my field (health sciences/public health) but I also know that an MBA is worth a lot less these days than it used to be.

Personally the only reason I'll go back for a masters is:

1) if it is required to rise the ranks in the company/job I work at

2) to eventually get a PhD so i can teach, because that has always been my goal

If this is intruding into your life too much, then ignore this. But if not, how hard was law school? How long did it take for you to reach the bar exam? Was it expensive compared to other fields? I am interested in law, but I'm not 100% certain where I want to be in 5 years.

Didn't go to university but I stumbled upon a 100k job that I actually enjoy and doesn't require me to work more than 30-40 hours a week.. Hopefully I don't get laid off anytime soon!

That being said, heading back to school during the next 10 years seems likely at some point.

Yes very happy with it.

Did an MBA at Sauder, paid ~$40k for it.

Got a ~$140k/yr increase in salary.

Kinda sucks that I had to do it in order to get paid more. I am the same person, but needed the letters after my name to get into a different field.

I did a Master's degree in Roman history, then worked for four years as a web developer, and now I'm in my second year of law school at UVic. It may have helped me get into law school (maybe?), but otherwise, it was an interesting way to spend two years and flush $25k down the toilet. An MA opens no doors.

I have a masters in Library Science and am now working as an astronomer, ..i know, wtf? Theres more to the story about why im not working in the field that i trained for, which i dont feel like going into. But, i think getting the Masters was valuable. For most of my school colleagues it paid off, and in the library field, getting a Masters is vital to getting a gig as a librarian. And although im not using it, it was a very interesting degree, and if youre getting to shell out the money and take the risk, be sure its something that interests you. Plus having a Masters is always good resume material, no matter where youre applying. Also a confidence builder, was for me anyway.

I did a Master's degree in Roman history, then worked for four years as a web developer, and now I'm in my second year of law school at UVic. It may have helped me get into law school (maybe?), but otherwise, it was an interesting way to spend two years and flush $25k down the toilet. An MA opens no doors.

Archived