Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Are you happy with your master's degree?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,612 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

You can be as specific or vague as you like, but for those of you have received your master's degree, what do you think?

Was it a wise choice, financially? Did it lead to a job, or provide you with skills that enabled you to land a job, etc.? Or did you just do it to avoid the 'real world' and out of interest?

For those who are feeling particularly bold: Where'd you go, how much did it cost, and how long did it take?

I'm on the fence on the issue, and almost everything I search seems to have conflicting reports. Yes, a lot of people benefit from advanced degrees, but a lot don't. It's an expensive risk. But in terms of liberal arts, as they say, the MA is the new BA. In terms of the sciences, I don't really know.

Edited by GLASSJAW, 31 December 2012 - 06:29 PM.

Posted Image
le temps restitué

#2 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

Are you happy with your master's degree?

Yes.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 31 December 2012 - 06:38 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#3 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,612 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

Oh, and I was just reminded, do schools offer refunds?
Posted Image
le temps restitué

#4 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,181 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

One more year...and I'm done with Uni. :D

* I have "no" real purpose for the degree. My life is already set, I just don't want to be a full-time framer (yet).

^ I'm currently working part-time at two places (office & framing) and going to Uni

Edited by The Phaneuf Train, 31 December 2012 - 06:57 PM.

Posted Image

#5 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

I don't have a masters degree, but I do have a few accomplishments under my belt.

I've been to law school and passed the BAR.

I have a bachelors of science and scored a 13S on my MCATS.

Many years of school after graduating high-school and I own and operate a tire store because it makes more money, takes less work, and has less responsibility.

Posted Image

#6 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

Oh, and I was just reminded, do schools offer refunds?

Not any school I've ever attended.

Posted Image

#7 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

Sorry for post spamming, I just keep remembering stuff.

My uncle has a masters in something, hes a grocery clerk...

Posted Image

#8 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

Sorry for post spamming, I just keep remembering stuff.

It's called 'editing your original post'.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 31 December 2012 - 07:11 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#9 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

My master's degree of what? How much attention he pays to detail?

Posted Image

#10 susraiders

susraiders

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,406 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

I don't have a masters degree, but I do have a few accomplishments under my belt.

I've been to law school and passed the BAR.

I have a bachelors of science and scored a 13S on my MCATS.

Many years of school after graduating high-school and I own and operate a tire store because it makes more money, takes less work, and has less responsibility.

If this is intruding into your life too much, then ignore this. But if not, how hard was law school? How long did it take for you to reach the bar exam? Was it expensive compared to other fields? I am interested in law, but I'm not 100% certain where I want to be in 5 years.

#11 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,941 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

My plan after my undergrad was to get a masters right away. Not the case anymore, as most of my friends who got a masters are working in the same jobs and getting the same pay as those who have an undergrad. Might just be my field (health sciences/public health) but I also know that an MBA is worth a lot less these days than it used to be.

Personally the only reason I'll go back for a masters is:
1) if it is required to rise the ranks in the company/job I work at
2) to eventually get a PhD so i can teach, because that has always been my goal
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#12 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

If this is intruding into your life too much, then ignore this. But if not, how hard was law school? How long did it take for you to reach the bar exam? Was it expensive compared to other fields? I am interested in law, but I'm not 100% certain where I want to be in 5 years.

It takes most people 4 years to get their undergraduate degree, and then depending on your schedule you can complete law school in ~3 years and then take the BAR. The difficulty really varies on each individuals effort level and of course which school you go to. It is really not THAT hard though, a LOT easier than med school.

edit: Forgot to add, tuition isn't terrible. I think you're looking at like 11 grand at ubc per year

Edited by G-52, 31 December 2012 - 07:34 PM.

Posted Image

#13 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

It's called 'editing your original post'.

And this guy has a masters? Glad I didn't waste my time...
Posted Image

If the way Torts stepped up doesn't inspire anyone to work harder, I'll drive them to the airport myself.

</p>

#14 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

Didn't go to university but I stumbled upon a 100k job that I actually enjoy and doesn't require me to work more than 30-40 hours a week.. Hopefully I don't get laid off anytime soon!

That being said, heading back to school during the next 10 years seems likely at some point.

#15 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,206 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

i'm not unhappy with my masters degree...

#16 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,402 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

Yes very happy with it.

Did an MBA at Sauder, paid ~$40k for it.

Got a ~$140k/yr increase in salary.

Kinda sucks that I had to do it in order to get paid more. I am the same person, but needed the letters after my name to get into a different field.
Moo

#17 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

I'm quite happy.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#18 literaphile

literaphile

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:52 AM

I did a Master's degree in Roman history, then worked for four years as a web developer, and now I'm in my second year of law school at UVic. It may have helped me get into law school (maybe?), but otherwise, it was an interesting way to spend two years and flush $25k down the toilet. An MA opens no doors.

#19 Butcher

Butcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:51 AM

I have a masters in Library Science and am now working as an astronomer, ..i know, wtf? Theres more to the story about why im not working in the field that i trained for, which i dont feel like going into. But, i think getting the Masters was valuable. For most of my school colleagues it paid off, and in the library field, getting a Masters is vital to getting a gig as a librarian. And although im not using it, it was a very interesting degree, and if youre getting to shell out the money and take the risk, be sure its something that interests you. Plus having a Masters is always good resume material, no matter where youre applying. Also a confidence builder, was for me anyway.

#20 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,612 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:02 AM

I did a Master's degree in Roman history, then worked for four years as a web developer, and now I'm in my second year of law school at UVic. It may have helped me get into law school (maybe?), but otherwise, it was an interesting way to spend two years and flush $25k down the toilet. An MA opens no doors.

just curious, that seems like such a specialized field. when you went into it, did you expect to get work out of it? did you intend to get a phd? or what?

don't mean to slag off your degree or something, it just seems like the whole 'greek and roman studies' field has a super, super, super niche market, especially outside of the mediterranean
Posted Image
le temps restitué

#21 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:35 AM

I have teaching colleagues who get their Master's only to boost their salaries and pensions. It certainly doesn't make many of them better teachers, from my observations. Actually, it makes me wanna puke! :sick:

I'd rather invest the $20 000+ dollars now and grow it rather than have tax payers pay for my retirement in the future.

Just sayin'...

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#22 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

My plan after my undergrad was to get a masters right away. Not the case anymore, as most of my friends who got a masters are working in the same jobs and getting the same pay as those who have an undergrad. Might just be my field (health sciences/public health) but I also know that an MBA is worth a lot less these days than it used to be.

Personally the only reason I'll go back for a masters is:
1) if it is required to rise the ranks in the company/job I work at
2) to eventually get a PhD so i can teach, because that has always been my goal

Teaching doesn't get the respect it deserves. So i hope you accomplish your goal.

And also, i wish i had a master's degree. :(

Edited by Monteeun, 01 January 2013 - 09:12 AM.

#23 literaphile

literaphile

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

just curious, that seems like such a specialized field. when you went into it, did you expect to get work out of it? did you intend to get a phd? or what?

don't mean to slag off your degree or something, it just seems like the whole 'greek and roman studies' field has a super, super, super niche market, especially outside of the mediterranean

Well, it's still a pretty popular field worldwide (even in North America), but yes, it's shrinking, and its relevance is becoming less obvious as time goes on.

I was going to go all the way and do a PhD. But after doing the MA I realized that I wouldn't be happy as a life-long academic, so I switched gears.

#24 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,402 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

I have a masters in Library Science and am now working as an astronomer, ..i know, wtf? Theres more to the story about why im not working in the field that i trained for, which i dont feel like going into. But, i think getting the Masters was valuable. For most of my school colleagues it paid off, and in the library field, getting a Masters is vital to getting a gig as a librarian. And although im not using it, it was a very interesting degree, and if youre getting to shell out the money and take the risk, be sure its something that interests you. Plus having a Masters is always good resume material, no matter where youre applying. Also a confidence builder, was for me anyway.

How'd you get a job as an astronomer and what exactly do you do? I did astrophysics for my undergrad.
Moo

#25 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,416 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

Depends on the field you're entering. I needed it to get further up the ladder, so I got it. Does your employer actually care what it is about? Not really, it's just a box you can tick on your application.

Was it personally worth it? Not really, but it does open doors. Undergrads are basically a dime a dozen now, so you gotta make yourself stand out somehow. Hopefully your employer can pay for part/all of it.

#26 sixwings

sixwings

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

It takes most people 4 years to get their undergraduate degree, and then depending on your schedule you can complete law school in ~3 years and then take the BAR. The difficulty really varies on each individuals effort level and of course which school you go to. It is really not THAT hard though, a LOT easier than med school.

edit: Forgot to add, tuition isn't terrible. I think you're looking at like 11 grand at ubc per year

You have to article for 9 months before you can write the bar in Canada.
Posted Image

#27 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,692 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Education at this level is an expensive investment, but opportunities abound for those who graduate. I am happy with my program, and the prospects after graduation are very promising. I should see a significant pay increase. But then again I will have about $100,000 in student loans which should equate into a $1,000 payment each month. Should be chump change when clearing ten grand a month.

Here is an interesting stat to consider: According to Stats Canada, in 2009, about 2.5% of the population had earned a master's degree and 8.6% had earned a four year university level bachelor's degree.

#28 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,692 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

Depends on the field you're entering. I needed it to get further up the ladder, so I got it. Does your employer actually care what it is about? Not really, it's just a box you can tick on your application.

Was it personally worth it? Not really, but it does open doors. Undergrads are basically a dime a dozen now, so you gotta make yourself stand out somehow. Hopefully your employer can pay for part/all of it.

Only 8.6% of Canadians--2.98 million--have a four year university level bachelor's degree.http://www.statcan.g...educ43a-eng.htm. In the US, that figure is north of 30%, and 7.6% with master's degrees.

Edited by jmfaminoff, 01 January 2013 - 01:07 PM.

#29 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,002 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Only 8.6% of Canadians--2.98 million--have a bachelor's degree.http://www.statcan.g...educ43a-eng.htm. In the US, that figure is north of 30%, and 7.6% with master's degrees.

Then obviously education alone is not the answer? .. "knowin" and "stupid" are not mutually exclusive? ..
"To Thine Own Self Be True"

#30 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,692 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

Then obviously education alone is not the answer? .. "knowin" and "stupid" are not mutually exclusive? ..

No kidding! It is an entirely different system down here. Anyone who has graduated from high school can attend a four year university somewhere.

Entrance to graduate school was entirely different-GMAT, GRE and 3.0 undergrad GPA or higher was required for direct admission.

Edited by jmfaminoff, 01 January 2013 - 01:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.