The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are the Canucks headed for a financial cliff ?

RAMBUTANS

If the current CBA holds up, the salary cap will drop down to $60 million next year. This creates a bit of a complication with the roster as we're spending tight to the cap. I read on some article, Edler might be a casualty as he is due for a raise. Not sure if unloading Luongo and Ballard will do it. Can you bear the thought of losing Edler when we lost out on the Schultz sweepstakes?

It really does not matter what happens to the product as the owners will just lock out the players and suspend the NHL whenever it becomes necessary to prop up weak franchises in some sun belt that does not even have a minor hockey program.

The NHL Financial Cliff is a Bettman induced nightmare of the never ending variety.

And if Eddy bolts for the sun we are screwed.

If the current CBA holds up, the salary cap will drop down to $60 million next year. This creates a bit of a complication with the roster as we're spending tight to the cap. I read on some article, Edler might be a casualty as he is due for a raise. Not sure if unloading Luongo and Ballard will do it. Can you bear the thought of losing Edler when we lost out on the Schultz sweepstakes?

PA wants the cap to be around $67 mill the league wants it at $60 mill. Look for them to meet somewhere in the middle.

Amnesty buyout will mean Canucks will buy out Ballard or Booth and maybe both after trading Lu. Malhotra's $2.5 mill will also come home as he will be UFA at the end of this season.

Canucks will definitely make room for Edler.

If it happens, it happens I guess... Hopefully his back is fine enough to continue a long successful career, if not maybe it's for the best. I love seeing Edler on the power play with the Sedins, but I'm sure as long as we have most of the team we'll be fine.. Can always seek new players through FA or trade I guess. <_< *sigh*

There wont be a problem.

Edler has the right to choose UFA if he wants anyways. The Nucks will use the smaller cap to attempt to negotiate Edlers salary down, if he wont sign for 5.25 per or less, he's gone IMO.

Good thing we didnt get Doan at 7 mill. :sick:

There'll be a boat load of league movement before that time, and the media is making more out of this than is really there...

The total combined salarys of Jensen, Connaughton, Lack, Pinnizotto and Schroeder is $4,169,167. If you remove just Luongo and add these 5 players, there's still roughly 1 million to play with for the 13/14 - 60 million cap, while bringing the roster # up to 17. Malhotra will likley take a large pay cut to retire in Van, and bringing back Lapierre and Weise shouldnt cost much either which now gives us 20 players on the roster.... Remember that there wont likley be all that many jobs available around the league due to buy-outs and a decreased cap, which'll make re-signing your bottom end players a tad easier.

As for Booth, well he has a shot to earn a spot if there should be a season this year, but he'll likley have to out play both Higgins and Raymond, as those two would likley be casualties of keeping Booth around.

I agree with the concensus in stating that Ballard will likely be bought out to make room for Edler, but that signing needs to happen first. I think Id almost rather keep Ballard and get some solid assets back for Edler, specifically some future scoring prowess. This is also dependant on if they feel Connaughton is ready to contribute to the big club.

My gut feeling is that the players offer will require a cap larger than the proposed 60 mill, and we'll see a number closer to 65.... But really, its far too early to speculate or worry about managing next years speculated cap. A billion things can happen before then, and Im positive that we'll see a couple blockbusters in that time... Also to note, I believe the new CBA allows to move some cap space (The Brian Burke rule)... Wouldnt count that out either.

Omg the Canucks have lost the window of opportunity in which they had to win the Stanley cup time to pour hot wax on my nipples while I read dark poetry in a scalding hot bath listing to Depeche Mode durning the 7 year rebuild

It's not like Schutlz would have been able to bring what Edler brings to the team so idk why you mentioned him.

but I doubt it happens, that is one of the things the players are still fighting for in the negotiations so I don't expect it to come all the way down to 60, maybe 65 or something.

Canucks will be in a world of hurt if the cap goes down to 60 million. There isn't going to be any rollback of cap hits.

2013-14 Roster

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows = 16.7

Booth-Kesler-Hansen = 10.35

?-?-Kassian = .87

?-?-? =

EXTRA:?

Garrison-Bieksa = 9.2

Ballard-Hamhuis = 8.7

?-?

EXTRA: ?

Luongo, Scneider = 9.33

Total = 55.15

Now the Canucks can definitely make room but they are going to lose a lot of their quality depth.

IMO this brings the value of Luongo down even further. Gillis and some fanatics insisted that retaining Luongo and Schneider was an option if the value for Luongo was too low. This can be an option for one season but the Canucks will have to trade him before the start of the 2013-14 season.

This proposed cap also gives a better idea of the possible return for Luongo. It would be either cheap, quality 3rd liners and or prospects and picks. The Canucks can't afford to take a bad contract for Luongo unless it's only for this coming season.

Lets say the Canucks trade Luongo for a complete futures package of prospects and picks. They also buyout Ballard.

2013-14 Roster

?-?-Kassian = .87

?-?-? =

EXTRA:?

Garrison-Bieksa = 9.2

Hamhuis-? = 4.5

?-?

EXTRA: ?

Scneider, ? = 4

Total = 45.67

Canucks would have quite a few holes and not that much money left to patch things up.

2013-14 Roster

2-2-Kassian = 4.87

1-1-1 = 3

EXTRA: .75 = 35.67

Garrison-Bieksa = 9.2

Hamhuis-3 = 7.5

?-? = 2

EXTRA: ? = 1.5

Scneider, 1 = 5 = 25.2

Total = 60.87

I'm sure they can cut a few more corners to make it under 60 but this means that all 2013 UFA Canucks are moving on unless they want to take pay cuts. This Canucks team looks like it will be a shadow of the Canucks teams of recent years.

We lose Edler and our defence goes from one of the best top-4 in the NHL to a very 1 dimensional defence. Defences win championships and they've done so for the last decade quite obviously. To win a Cup in today's NHL you need a #1, top-5 or even top-3 NHL defenceman because the matchup game is so important nowadays.

Edler was in the top-10 for Norris voting last year I believe and is due for a huge jump in that respect. He is more physical than even guys like Karlsson and Doughty, so is even more well suited for the playoffs which is why we can't lose him. There's a huge drop off from Edler to Bieksa/Hamhuis/Garrison, who are all great top-20 NHL defencemen but not even close to the premium top-5 or so, which is where Edler could bust into with a breakout season.

Archived