The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Song/Album Recommendations (looking for some emotional/uplifting vocal songs in particular)

Dazzle

Hi there:

I'm looking to expand beyond my comfort zone, which is generous already to begin with. I'm looking for some emotional and/or uplifting songs and/or albums with well-defined instrumentals. I would like to appreciate every layer and nuance of each song, especially with capable earphones and an excellent portable source.

I am already an electronica/EDM listener and it is, for the most part, one of my favourite genres, but the keyword is well-defined instrumentals. So this thread is not intended to pick out those songs from that genre.

And although I do listen to R&B and Rap, most of it is not what I'm currently looking for. 'Slow Jams' are a solid exception.

The remaining genres that I did not mention are totally fair game for me. I would like to feel goosebumps from a melody or how a lyric is written.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

can't get anymore emotional than U2 - kite.

not so much the album version but the live version. just before the show was about to begin, at slane castle, i believe, bono found out his father passed away but went ahead with the show anyways, and the rest of the elevation tour. people can rag on him all they want, but the man is human

pink floyd's marooned is a pretty solid instrumental, at least for me, emotional wise. really, at some points, makes me really feel that i'm all alone

a lot of roy orbison's work is pretty emotional, especially when he was huge in the 60's with crying, the crowd, running scared, love hurts, it's over, etc

i don't listen to too much rap/r&b but tupac's tunes always had a lot of meaning to them. even will smith had a song that kind of really hits you-- is a song called tell me why from his lost and found album. it's a pretty deep song

uplifting tunes, i love listening to YES

pretty much every song, is somewhat of an allegory. awaken, a song about spiritual awkening. even their later, lesser known stuff is uplifting, like anything from keys to ascension to magnification albums

hell, even i listen to oasis for uplifting tunes. especially their later stuff after noel got off drugs and started really opening up his mind, like Let It Out from standing on the shoulder of giants album... pretty much a tune of-- if you have a talent, just let it out, let it be known. don't hold it inside.

one of their b-sides, or it was a demo, for SotSoG album, called one way road, noel just sings how he's off drugs, it's not fun anymore, and is just going through something new in his life.

sooner, liam would realize this, but that's after oasis broke up and formed beady eye and had their debut album was pretty hardcore, even noel gallagher's debut album was really nice. both of their respective albums are just quality

but oasis tunes that really stand out for me, that make a real impact of how i feel are: go let it out, who feels love, gas panic, where did it all go wrong, hindu times (THE DEMO VERSION, with noel on vocals-can find it on youtube), stop crying your heart out, going nowhere, the masterplan, guess god thinks i'm abel, i'm outta time, soldier on

i love oasis' first couple albums but their later stuff is really what hits you. one song from their early stuff that kinda hits you personally is live forever. they were just really good at what they did. noel gallagher really knew how to write stuff that made you think... i can relate to this, and even though people can argue about liam gallagher's voice quality over the years, that's a completely different discussion

Off the top of my head and in no particular order...

Inspiring Vox...

Any Queen

Black - Pearl Jam

Say Hello To Heaven - Temple Of The Dog

Dreams - Van Halen

What Love Can Be - Kingdom Come

Far Behind - Candlebox

One - U2

Release - Pearl Jam

Since I've Been Loving You - Led Zeppelin

Love Reign O'er Me - The Who

Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys

Still Loving You - Scorpions

Inspiring Instrumentals...

Eruption - Van Halen

Tales Of Topographic Oceans - Yes (there are vocals, but, this is a double album with only 4 songs!)

Chariots Of Fire - Vangelis

La Villa Stangiato - Rush

YYZ - Rush

Off the top of my head and in no particular order...

Inspiring Vox...

Any Queen

Black - Pearl Jam

Say Hello To Heaven - Temple Of The Dog

Dreams - Van Halen

What Love Can Be - Kingdom Come

Far Behind - Candlebox

One - U2

Release - Pearl Jam

Since I've Been Loving You - Led Zeppelin

Love Reign O'er Me - The Who

Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys

Still Loving You - Scorpions

Dazzle, have you tried music that isn't just your traditional pop music? Everyone here is just flogging their own favourites, which is cool and all, but I'm convinced CDC is on the Pearl Jam payroll with how much their music is flogged around here.

Have you tried classical music?

I'm no expert, but since you're interested in rich textures and lots of layers and really listening to music, maybe that would be a valuable world to discover?

This song (er... piece?) is about 10 minutes long, but has major, major, major melody that it returns to about 3 or 4 times throughout, each time it's pretty damn glorious, and gives me chills each time.

IMO, one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written. This reading of the music is done with a relatively quick pacing to the main melody (you can find slower versions performed by other orchestras). But all the same, it's amazing:

• 1 month later...

Archived